Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Ticking from radio speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
U.S.A. Ranger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking from radio speakers

This is really wierd. My '08 Cooper S started making a ticking and static noise from the speakers. What's really wierd is that I can turn off the radio, turn off the ignition, remove the key, get out of the car, close the door, walk away, come back a half hour later, and the ticking and static are still there.

Tried disconnecting the battery over night, but when I reconnected it, the ticking started again. Removed the radio fuse for a week and the ticking stopped for about an hour, then started again.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sorry for the double post. I couldn't find my post from yesterday and thought didn't save.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Me Too

My 07 MCS with 17.7k on the odometer just started the same thing this week. First I noticed while playing CDs I was hearing a tick sound like a scratch in a record. But everything functioned properly. The next morning I start it up and all audio functions are intermittent,(all lights and indicators for the console stay properly lit) with sound popping on and off every second to three seconds. Then you turn it off, and the strange electrical clicking runs around the speakers at random. When you turn the car off AND REMOVE THE KEY it goes right on clicking for a while. Next morning, not a sound till I start the car up. I have an appointment at the dealer Eastbay Mini next Tuesday morning. Service manager said he'd never heard of this one.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Amp Blown!

At the dealer today, I'm informed that the amp on the upgraded Mini system blew out. They swapped in a working one, then informed me they had to special order the amp and it will be about a week. I love my Mini, but making 160 mile round trips to be told the part has to be ordered is not fun. Meanwhile the little monster is making the most horrific sounds through the speakers. Many people would call it undriveable, as when it really kicks in its like a big electronic popcorn popper, with the stereo OFF it still bombards you with all these crazy clicking popping and worse noises. It's gonna be long week. I'm just glad it's under warranty. Anyone know what that amp costs? They said it was a fast swap. I believe it's located in the right rear fender well.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 AM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
So, they hooked the bad amp back up? yeesh! unplug the damn thing so you don't have to listen to it!