Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

LEAKY SUNROOF REPAIR WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM
The Green Bastard
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEAKY SUNROOF REPAIR WITH PICS

I have an 03 MCS.
Since we got it it has been leaking like a sieve. I just spent the last few days poring over endless threads looking for a pic of this drain tube thing....it seems to be a problem but nobody has a picture.

It is self explanatory.

Remove the trim from sunroof, (the control is attached), remove the molding on the door, remove the sunvisor (both the hinge and clip) then pull the headliner down in the corner over the A pillar. you dont need to remove the pillar trim.

look at the picture and you should be able to figure out what to do.

What i don't get is WTF happened to it? was it like that from the factory? Did the donkey that changed the window unhook it? WTF?????

Attached Thumbnails LEAKY SUNROOF REPAIR WITH PICS-044.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've seen these many times. More so on the 02-03 MINI's.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-24-2014, 07:21 AM
DJames
Neutral
Thanks, This saved my Bacon....But why does this happen?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I ended up replacing the hoses on mine. It seemed like the new ones were longer, but I don't know.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
I ended up replacing the hoses on mine. It seemed like the new ones were longer, but I don't know.
To be clear if you have this issue, your headliner would be soaked when it rains?

I have an early production ’03 and have blown out the drain tubes many times and not have had an issue. Is this something that happens to us all at some point?

///Rich

Old 04-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
To be clear if you have this issue, your headliner would be soaked when it rains?

I have an early production ’03 and have blown out the drain tubes many times and not have had an issue. Is this something that happens to us all at some point?

///Rich
On mine the driver's floor was always wet

Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Had the same issue two weeks ago.

http://imgur.com/a/tlmeQ

The floor pic was taken on my lunch break and I used shop towels to remove as much as I could and got back to work, then at the end of the day when I got out, there was a lake in there and it would make a wave when moving. I was not amused. Considering that the carpet is almost 4'' thick, it was soaked like crazy, I already had the back of the car stripped out, so I just removed the carpet and re-installed the seats.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:18 PM
nydog
1st Gear
I just picked a 04 MCS last Friday and noticed the mats were soaked. Turns out it was exactly this. I don't see how these rubber pieces work their way off the drain piping, but obviously they do.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Freeze-thaw cycles with water trapped in the tube makes the tubes back off...
Be sure to use metal clamps...
Zip ties will get snapped..

Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Stinch
3rd Gear
Shortly after buying my 04 MCS in December 2014, I found the passenger carpet wet after a rain storm. I checked to make sure the tubes were not clogged by pouring water into the corners of the sunroof drain channels. All was good.

Thought the tubes had come out from what I read but they were still attached fine. Had to pull down the headliner at the front a bit in the front to see them. Could not see the rears until later.

I thought for sure the seal between the roof and the sunroof had a leak so I pulled the entire headliner out figuring it would have to come out anyway once I confirmed the leak. In short, there was none at the seal. Since I could see the four tubes, I zipped tied them but may not have needed to.

I let the car sit out in the rain and sure enough, water was leaking from the metal structure under the roof on the right side. Figured out the PO had the windshield replaced a year before and the installer didn't seal it properly. Bought a 4 oz tube of silicone sealant and that took care of the problem.

Since the headliner was out and it had water stains from the last ten years, I cleaned it with a 20:1 solution of Woolite. Came out great but it was a lot of work.

Today we (and I'm sure you did too) had a full day of wind and rain. I was glad to see the headliner dry when I got out of work tonight.

Cheers
Rich

Originally Posted by nydog
I just picked a 04 MCS last Friday and noticed the mats were soaked. Turns out it was exactly this. I don't see how these rubber pieces work their way off the drain piping, but obviously they do.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Clamp them down and check if they have cracks in them also if you rehook them back up. If you don't have a sunroof you can then look at the foam seal on the third brake light.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172