Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help with Automatic Headlights; always on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 AM
12ORY
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Automatic Headlights; always on!

Can anyone advise if they have experienced problems with the automatic xenon headlights always coming on, even in the daylight? The only way to swith them off is to turn my headlights to the off position.

The car is a Sep 2006 Mini 1.6l One.

The automatic windscreen wipers work okay although I do find I have to reset them every time the car is started. My initial thoughts are a faulty sensor at the base of the rear view mirror or relay/fuse which is failing safe.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't think the auto feature was sold in the US. Some euro-centric mini sites might have some folks with the knowledge to trouble shoot it with ya!!
Good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
slocraiger
2nd Gear
you sure they are not the daytime running lights that are on?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
My auto headlights also turn on unexpectedly even during some bright conditions, and others have complained about the same issue in the forums. Unfortunately it seems that the auto headlights work imperfectly. My Owner's Manual says the sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer, but they told me that they couldn't (or don't know how) to do it. You might have better luck at your own local dealer.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I don't think the auto feature was sold in the US.
It's always been available in the US. It is a combined option with the auto wipers (the two features use the same module on the windshield and you can only get both at the same time).

Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
My auto headlights also turn on unexpectedly even during some bright conditions, and others have complained about the same issue in the forums. Unfortunately it seems that the auto headlights work imperfectly. My Owner's Manual says the sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer, but they told me that they couldn't (or don't know how) to do it. You might have better luck at your own local dealer.

It's always been available in the US. It is a combined option with the auto wipers (the two features use the same module on the windshield and you can only get both at the same time).
Sorry about the wrong info.....I guess you learn something new everyday!! Maybe the mini-one got me thinking mini euro only!!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 PM
BEAVR
3rd Gear
ever get this figured out?
my headlights have been stuck in the on position since last August when my 2 year old started fiddling with the switches. whenever the car starts, the headlights are on. there is nothing to indicate that my car has automatic day time running headlights.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw

........I have the automatic wipers but I dont know how to turn on the automatic xenon headlights. When I turn the car off, I would assume if they were auto, they should go off, but they dont. The sidelights stay on and i get the reminder to turn my lights off. I do not have DRL turned on...do you have to have daytime running lights turned on for the auto to work??? Thanks.

Jason

Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
No, the DRLs are separate from the AUTO lights. Make sure the stalk is set to the headlight picture with the "A" on it on the stalk.

The DRLs on first gen cars are the highbeams at a lower wattage. If your car is on "AUTO" the XENON headlights should turn off when the car is turned off, along with ALL other lights.

And yes, you have to turn on your Rain Sense wipers EVERY TIME you turn on the car. This was done to prevent people from forgetting when going into auto washes the next day and it wasnt raining, etc.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
I think that is my problem...I dont have an "A" on the headlight stalk!. Dang!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
I think that is my problem...I dont have an "A" on the headlight stalk!. Dang!
It's interesting that you say you have auto wipers but apparently don't have auto headlights. I've only seen both features offered together as a single option. That's the way it is currently in the MINIUSA configurator, and it was the same when I bought my '06. What year is your car, and do you have a sensor box attached to the windshield in front of your rear view mirror?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
My Mini is an 03 MCS. I do have the sensor box attached to the windshield, so not sure why I dont have it. Wished i did.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I found that auto headlights doesn't show up in the Owner's Manuals until 2006 (the manuals for all years are available here).

Edit: RealOEM says the headlight/turn stalk changed in 1/2005, including a new version not in earlier years for the rain sensor option (which includes auto headlight feature).

Last edited by rkw; 06-08-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Well..I continue to be perplexed with my headlight issue. I have the auto wipers and I have the rear view mirror with the sensor on the backside for reading the daylight (also have the sensor on the mirror side for dimming headlights behind me). So...I got to thinking...maybe I just need a light stalk with the automatic option...but when I went to realoem, they do not have a seperate stalk...just the one. Am I missing something????

Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Auto lights weren't offered on your year it appears. You would probably need to retrofit something else (ambient sensor) possibly?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I found that auto headlights doesn't show up in the Owner's Manuals until 2006
My '05 mentions the AUTO headlights in my manual

Old 06-08-2010, 11:54 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
You'll have to get the 2005 version of the stalk, and the dealer will have to program the auto headlight feature into the computer. Since auto headlights was not available in 2003, the sensor on the windshield might also be different.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
My '05 mentions the AUTO headlights in my manual
Apparently the feature became available in 1/2005. The online PDF 2005 Owner's Manual is dated 9/2004 (beginning of the model year).

Old 06-08-2010, 11:59 PM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Yeah, that would make sense then why it wasn't showing. My MINI is an 02/2005 build, so I'm guessing they have an 01/2005 manual .

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM
BEAVR
3rd Gear
BTW. my solution was to just unplug the headlights.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BEAVR
BTW. my solution was to just unplug the headlights.
Even if you put your stalk to the "o" they're still on?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is interesting your Xenons come on all the time. The DRL programming in my '06 MCS is the feature where the high beams are at a lower wattage. I have been back and forth about getting it turned off by the dealership, but I think I'm gonna keep it. The feature makes for a no-brainer when the light outside is low, it's raining, or I'm part of a MINI run and the group wants headlights on.

It really sounds like you should be able to get the feature programmed off by the dealership. My DRL option, auto windows, and auto wipers can all be programmed to on or off.

If you are worried about the Xenon bulb longevity, don't worry. They'll last for years. They are based on the same technology as those large lights in the school gym (the ones that take forever to warm up). I hardly ever saw the custodians change them.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
If you are worried about the Xenon bulb longevity, don't worry. They'll last for years. They are based on the same technology as those large lights in the school gym (the ones that take forever to warm up). I hardly ever saw the custodians change them.
Well unfortunately that is what they said about the Xenon bulbs on the Prius also, but mine (and many, many, many others) had theirs burn out with < 2 years of use! And prior to last fall, Toyota was charging $300/bulb + installation!!!! Apparently when the whole issue of the alleged gas pedal sticking brought Toyota to our leaders attention, Toyota mysteriously dropped the price to $150/bulb (+ installation). I really like my Prius and other than that (and mice making a home in the trunk and glove box all the time) I haven't had any problems with the car.

That being said, according to my MA and the manual, the headlights on my 09 MCSC are programmable so that I can enable/disable the DRL feature. I have my DRL's enabled since I feel it can't hurt to be as visible as possible to the other drivers out there that just can't seem to pay attention to what is going on around them. I have lost count of how many times folks have pulled out right in front of me and then act like it was my fault because (they claim) they "just didn't see me"!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow! < 2 years on Xenons? And I thought I had bad luck with getting < 1 year on Sylvania Silverstar H7 bulbs on my old '02 MCS and having to pay $40/pair (I realize Xenons have a high cost no matter what vehicle has them).

Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM
JustinGTP
5th Gear
Xenons are expensive at the dealer. You can get a genuine pair of Phillips on eBay for 150/pair. Installation is a breeze. They have a life span of 3000 hours.
If you use them for 1 hour every day, they will last you about 8 years! If there are problems with the ballast or bulb, they may die prematurely. (Read: Toyota Prius lol)