Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Passenger Airbag Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM
SDD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 R53 Electrical Gremlins

After getting the passenger seat occupancy light followed by the airbag light I took Cooper S to MINI dealer in October 2013. Passenger seat cushion was replaced. Two days later the airbag light was back on again. Service advisor said the replacement seat cushion had failed and they replaced with another.

Six months later the airbag light begins illuminating again along with the seatbelt light. Dealer replaces sensor mat for passenger seat a third time. Service advisor reports they also found fault code 72 stored in MRS. After picking car up I didn’t get to the first exit on highway before getting lights again so I turned around and took it back. Service advisor reports they found fault codes 30, 90, and 91, ran through test plan, test plan said to replace body control module (BC1). Replaced BC1, programmed BC1, cleared fault memory, faults did not return. Returned a few days later with same airbag and seat belt lights, also have new problems with turn signals that stop working, DRL not on, and one key not recognized. Service advisor reports multiple fault codes for low voltage and power supply. Also battery failed energy diagnosis. Replaced battery and cleared faults. One fault for MRS control module stored but not flagging warning. DRL and second key working again due to reprogramming BC1. The airbag and seatbelt lights come on again and when warning lights come on the turn signals stop working. Returned to dealer and service advisor recommends pulling out seats and carpet to inspect wiring harness. Reports wiring harness is fine but found faults for MRS communication and internal MRS failure. Replaced MRS (control unit for airbag) and cleared faults. Tested airbag system and no further faults. Drove the car away from dealer only couple exits when both seatbelt and airbag lights return. They are not on when starting car but come on a few minutes into drive. Shutting off car and restarting clears the warning lights. When lights come on the turn signals sometimes stop working until car is shut off and restarted. Additionally, the cabin blower (air conditioning) is cutting off and on intermittently.

Obviously the dealer service department is clueless. They have had the shop manager working on car especially when found fault codes for low voltage and power supply.

I’ve posted to this thread because it has the most discussion however I’ve searched the forums and read several threads including:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/232200-air-bag-and-seat-belt-light.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/225532-yet-another-airbag-light.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/250010-r53-srs-airbag-light-and-fault-codes.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/229191-main-airbag-light-only-good-seat-sensor.html

Is there anyone out there that has any experience with these electrical gremlins?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM
beej
Neutral
finally! justice

from http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V205-4250.PDF

---
In 1Q2014, BMW began an internal review to determine if other models might be similarly affected. In April 2014, a warranty review indicated a potential issue with certain model year 2005 to 2008 MINI models, but the root cause was not known since the seat mat design was significantly different compared to the BMW models. Since the potentially affected vehicles were out of warranty, BMW initiated a special USA parts collection campaign in June 2014 to acquire field parts from customer-owned vehicles. In September 2014, a sufficient quantity and variety of returned parts were provided to the supplier for further analysis.

In December 2014 the supplier reviewed its findings with BMW, noting that there appeared to be multiple issues causing increased electrical resistance of the sensor mat, associated with production, installation and field exposure (wear).

In January 2015 the supplier examined its production records and quality control information to identify the production dates and lots of affected parts. In February 2015, BMW conducted reviews and analyses of vehicle production records to identify the potentially affected vehicles which were manufactured with the affected parts.

On March 31, 2015, BMW decided to expand recalls 08V-384 and 13V-564 to replace the passenger occupancy seat mat on additional affected vehicles.
---

so whoever still has the dreaded airbag light on should go get their cars fixed at MINI's expense and whoever got their car fixed already should file a claim to get reimbursed. also, you may want to get your car re-fixed with a part that isn't defective.

cheers,
marc

Last edited by beej; 05-14-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
blonda
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this in the paper last week. This is great news! We've been driving around with our passenger airbag light on/turned off for the past 2 years. Now just curious to see how long it will take for it to be tagged to my car in MINI's system so I can get this fixed.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:22 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Checked on the Mini website and the VIN for my Mini lists the airbag recall now.

Just called the dealer and they do not have the part in stock and they cannot order one either, service tech does not have an ETA when the can get the sensor.

Basically told me to call back in July or August

Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
56 Blue
2nd Gear
My recall notice came in the mail yesterday. I'm not supposed to take any passengers until it's fixed.... but no idea when they will have parts.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Linkyy
Neutral
No recall for '02 MINI? I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S with the red airbag light on.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Linkyy
No recall for '02 MINI?
Not for the specific recall discussed in this thread.

You can call the dealer and have them check your VIN for any outstanding recalls. There are different things that can trigger an airbag light. Have your car scanned for the error code to try to narrow down the problem.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
The recall is for the 2005 and 2006 passenger seat sensor pad.

The models before 2005 do not have a passenger seat airbag sensor installed.

Per NHTSA

In March 2006, BMW reissued a service bulletin first issued in September 2003, to MINIdealers regarding the repair procedure for improper wire crimps in approximately 31,500 model year 2002 and 2003 MINICooper vehicles produced up to January 2003.the new service bulletin states that the warranty coverage for the issue (I.e., air bag warning lamp illumination with fault code for high resistance in side air bag/seat belt pretensioner circuit) is extended to 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.BMW plans to send letters to owners during March 2006.the subject wire crimps are located under the front seats and are part of the main wiring harness that interface with the under-seat wiring harness connectors for side air bag and seat belt pretensioner modules.BMW stated that, although the subject crimps were improperly manufactured, the crimp connection is still sufficient for the restraint system to deploy when needed.according to BMW, the electrical resistance levels in the subject vehicles can exceed the threshold that illuminates the air bag warning lamp, but they do not exceed a much higher limit in which deployment of the restraints may no longer occur.ODI believes that there is lack of evidence at this time to conclude that the restraint systems may not deploy with the high resistance condition.the Agency believes that further expenditure of Agency resources does not appear to be warranted at this time.the closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that no safety-related defect exists.the Agency will monitor the issue and reserves the right to take future action if warranted by the circumstances.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 56 Blue
My recall notice came in the mail yesterday. I'm not supposed to take any passengers until it's fixed.... but no idea when they will have parts.
Same here, hopefully I still have the Mini by the time the dealership gets the parts in

Old 07-07-2015, 05:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
The start is 1/2005+ production on,. I have a early 2005 MCC and don't have the sensor, so early 2005 will not have that passenger airbag sensor.

Hopefully the parts will start coming in soon at the dealer and people can get this fixed.

Post up when you get the fix.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Linkyy
Neutral
I checked my VIN number on Safecar.gov and no recalls.
My airbag light came on from moving the passenger seat forward. I have read that the wires connecting it under the seat are really touchy and delicate and this is a common problem when moving the passenger seat forward.
Also seems like something that should be recalled, seeing as this is also a safety hazard. I have also reported a safety complaint to the NHTSA.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I checked my VIN number on Safecar.gov and no recalls.
My airbag light came on from moving the passenger seat forward. I have read that the wires connecting it under the seat are really touchy and delicate and this is a common problem when moving the passenger seat forward.
Also seems like something that should be recalled, seeing as this is also a safety hazard. I have also reported a safety complaint to the NHTSA.
Check with a dealer. There has been a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued for the airbag cable under the seat. A TSB isn't at the level of a recall and the repair cost might not be covered for a car out of warranty.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 AM
Linkyy
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
Check with a dealer. There has been a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued for the airbag cable under the seat. A TSB isn't at the level of a recall and the repair cost might not be covered for a car out of warranty.
I took it into the MINI dealer and they estimated the repair at >$1000...

Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
blonda
3rd Gear
Traded in my 05 R53 for an 08 R52 at the dealer a couple weeks ago. Both showed they are part of the recall. Still no parts so will be waiting for a call. The 05 has had the passenger airbag light turned off for about 2 years...about time they recalled it. The 08 seems to be working well at least for now.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 AM
blonda
3rd Gear
I took it into the MINI dealer and they estimated the repair at >$1000...
Search around on here for some threads about the wiring. When I was researching my airbag issue I recall reading that the wire under the seat is much easier to fix than the sensor that is in the seat. It may involve you removing the seat and as simple as electrical tape or re-soldering the wires.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 PM
jdgordon7
1st Gear
The news about the recall came out in April, with an expected fix date of May 1st... It's mid August now. It seems to me that this isn't happening. It doesn't take about half a year to manufacture and ship recall parts when it's not a new engine that is needed, just a mat that senses when someone sits on it... The thing that really makes me think that this is not going to happen is that that MINI actually gave an estimated repair date of May 1st. Barring the destruction of one of one of MINI's manufacturing plants or some other major global catastrophe that hasn't made the news, I do not see what would delay what MINI estimated in April would take less than one month to complete, to going on five months. My thought is that it might be a ten year extended warranty and MINI is stalling as long as possible as every day more and more MINI's that would otherwise be covered fall out of warranty, or MINI is passive aggressively telling us all to take a hike as they blow sunshine up our nose. Does anyone have any news since the letter they sent letting us know absolutely nothing, other than our cars are covered and we probably have realized that our passenger airbag light is constantly on.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jdgordon7
It seems to me that this isn't happening.
It will happen eventually. There can be consequences if it doesn't.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/bu...ty-issues.html

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It will happen eventually. There can be consequences if it doesn't.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/bu...ty-issues.html
Wow !!

I will probably be unloading the Mini next year for a VW Golf TDI. I love the Mini but the miles are piling up and I am taking longer trips that require more cargo space and more seat room. The new generation of Mini's do not appeal to me.

I have a feeling the parts to fix the airbag issue will probably arrive the day after I sell the Mini

Old 08-12-2015, 05:05 PM
jdgordon7
1st Gear
ATTENTION! I did some research, here are the government agencies in charge of holding corporations responsible. I called multiple agencies (NHTSA etc.) After explaining the situation, namely that the day before the recall we could have had the defective part replaced (for a ridiculous $1000+) but the day the recall was announced all of a sudden the parts were absolutely unobtainable somehow. And the recall announcement was April 3rd, almost SIX MONTHS ago... Please call the following numbers and let's see if enough of us file a complaint maybe these two agencies will give MINI corporate a call and ask how that MAY 1ST 2015 start date for the recall is going...

Federal Trade Commission: Phone number: 1 877-382-4357

For those in CA (I imagine other States have similar organizations)
Only open 9-12 and 1-3 PST Consumer affairs. number: 1-800-952-5225

Old 04-30-2018, 01:31 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still no fix for this?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Alexandra Zepeda
Neutral
I thought there was a recall still out for this issue? I still have to take mine in too.