MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Hi Y'all!
1 Replies, 42 Views
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Replacement Windshield and Rain Sensor

I had my cracked MINI windshield replaced 2 weeks ago by Safelite. Yesterday was the 1st day that I drove in the rain and my rain sensing wipers did not come on automatically. They were working fine before the windshield replacement.

Several hours later after it had stopped raining (no water on the windshield), the wipers came on automatically and worked until I switched them off. I have called Safelite and they are coming tomorrow to check things out.

Has anyone had this problem with their rain sensor after having a replacement windshield installed? Thanks for all responses.

PS I verified that Safelite used the OEM adhesive pad to attach the rain sensor back onto the new windshield.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 AM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Yeah. It happened to me with a Pilkington windshield. The installer came back the next day and replaced it with another one which worked. He said the sensor is sensitive to, among other things, the color of the glass, and variations which may not be noticeable upon installation will prevent operation.

Make sure that you splash some water on the windshield before you let him leave, just to make sure it works.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor

Gallery
Anytime you replace the windshield, make sure they install new A-pillar covers. Otherwise, they will fly off when you least expect it. Not if, but when...

ken
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
I'll make sure, but I need to know...what are A-pillar covers?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor

Gallery
It's the plastic trim/cover between the windshield and side windows (see here). The clips on this trim are weakened when the trim is removed to replace the windshield - when re-used, the weakened clips fail and the trim goes flying off.

cheers,
ken
Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
So I need just the covers, not the molded parts? Or do I need both pieces for both sides? I want to ask for the correct parts...

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nansumner View Post
So I need just the covers, not the molded parts? Or do I need both pieces for both sides? I want to ask for the correct parts...

Thanks.
Just the covers.

ken
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear

Send a message via AIM to The_iaiN Send a message via Yahoo to The_iaiN
Gallery
Wish I'd found this thread sooner... now, to call Safelite...
Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Neutral

Send a message via AIM to slminicooper
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenatminimania View Post
Anytime you replace the windshield, make sure they install new A-pillar covers. Otherwise, they will fly off when you least expect it. Not if, but when...

ken
I agree. I've had to replace both windshields on my old and new mini and both times the cracked both sets of 'A' pillar covers.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Neutral

Gallery
How much does it cost to replace the "A" piller covers? I only need one replaced. The top 1/3 of it is missing on my passenger side. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Vendor

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1nicole View Post
How much does it cost to replace the "A" piller covers? I only need one replaced. The top 1/3 of it is missing on my passenger side. Thanks!
$60-$70 for the part and the installation pricing will vary - shop around for it!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 AM