Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

HELP:!! My R53 battery is locked out! Cant open latch!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
svldvc
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP:!! My R53 battery is locked out! Cant open latch!

Hey guys.
have a problem here.
My battery wire disconnected, and my trunk door can't open cause there is no current (duhh it's disconnected). Remote doesn't work.

I can't get to the battery bay to connect it back up!!
I can't fold the rear seats because the latches are on the other side. (in the trunk)
How can I get the rear seats to fold??
I just need to get to the battery.

Help me please.

Attached Thumbnails HELP:!!  My R53 battery is locked out! Cant open latch!-p1200009.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some of our cars have a trunk release rip cord under the bench, mine does not though.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, there should be a latch release cord under your rear bench. There should be info about it in your users manual.

How did your battery wire just come disconnected like that?? I'd be more freaked out about that than anything else...

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
svldvc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nabeshin
Some of our cars have a trunk release rip cord under the bench, mine does not though.
Where is that "under the bench" place you talking about? is it in the rear? front?

thanks for help.. keep it coming.. i need to get this thing opened asap!!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
If you car does not have the emergency trunk release/rip cord under the rear seat....just attach a set of jumper-cables to it...and click the unlock...piece of cake!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Just pull up the rear bench seat...a cable should be on the drivers side that when you pull it, the trunk will open!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
svldvc
1st Gear
mine doesn't have a release latch.. :( Germans are freakin' idiots!!
How the heck do I open the trunk!!???

I'll never be buying another German car again in my whole LIFE!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
svldvc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you car does not have the emergency trunk release/rip cord under the rear seat....just attach a set of jumper-cables to it...and click the unlock...piece of cake!!
Thanks Zippy...but to where do I connect the jumper-cables to??
The battery is disconnected...it's not dead.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
You can also lift the rear edge of your rear parcel shelf and squeeze your arm back in there to reach the seat back release. Not fun, but it works.

I wouldn't try hooking up to jumper cables with the battery disconnected - you could start a fire or short out the system, unless you know the leads are in a spot where they can't touch each other.

Still curious as to how the battery got disconnected!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
By the way...the car is ENGLISH!!

Just use a set of jumper cables and put power on the jump start connections under the hood...the click unlock!!
I think the 05+ came with the cable...earlier cars often had the dealers install them after the fact.
or just fold the seat down, pull the carpet in the trunk up...and vola...you have battery acrcess!!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
svldvc
1st Gear

Please tell me you're kidding!!! Freakin' German's manufacture the car, It's a freakin' BMW piece of crap! Half parts on the car have BMW logos on them.

It may have English origin...but it's all GERMAN crap now!!

The following users liked this post:
dieseldogpi (07-10-2020)
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
ntmid8r
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use a set of jumper cables and put power on the jump start connections under the hood...the click unlock!!
I think the 05+ came with the cable...earlier cars often had the dealers install them after the fact.
or just fold the seat down, pull the carpet in the trunk up...and vola...you have battery acrcess!!
If the cable is disconnected I dont think the jump start post will work..isnt it connected to the battery?
How do you know the cable is disconnected? And how did that happen with the hatch closed?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
svldvc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MLPearson79
Still curious as to how the battery got disconnected!
Yeah trust me, you're not the only one...I would love to find that out too!!

This freaking German piece of crap keeps unplugging the battery (+) wire inside that little black connector box. You have to force the wire back into it's clips and only then it will draw current from the battery.

It's hard to explain in words, easier to show on pictures...but I can't get to the battery so sorry...can't do pictures to show you heheh

I just owned this mini piece of crap for 5 months and I can give you a mile long list of things that were just going wrong w/ this car. So I had enough with it.

As soon as I get the battery connected...I'm selling it for cheap!!
I'm going back to reliable Japanese cars!
Japanese freakin' RULE!!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
On my 05, the trunk release is in under the rear seat in the center. When this happened to me.(not paying attention, when I disconnected the battery to do some work and closed the hatch,) I squeezed my hand under the seat and found the cable, pulled and problem solved.

I could be wrong, but if the battery is disconnected the positive terminal up front may not work.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by svldvc

This freaking German piece of crap keeps unplugging the battery (+) wire inside that little black connector box. You have to force the wire back into it's clips and only then it will draw current from the battery.
If you don't fix the problem...it gonna keep happening!
Go ahead and vent!!
Gen2 MINI's are VERY German.....gen1 MINI's only have a bit of German influence!! That is what makes them so unique!!

Sounds like you need to re-crimp the wire or something! Sorry to laugh, but don't get so worked up!! You should be able to do everything from the back seat! When it is fixed, have a beer...I bet you will laugh you azz off!!

MINI's are great for people who like to tinker with their cars.....they can be very reliable.....but when they break....you must FIX it....jury rigging a mini does work....IF you know what you are doing!!
Good Luck!!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's hard to explain in words, easier to show on pictures...but I can't get to the battery so sorry...can't do pictures to show you heheh

I just owned this mini piece of crap for 5 months and I can give you a mile long list of things that were just going wrong w/ this car. So I had enough with it.

As soon as I get the battery connected...I'm selling it for cheap!!
I'm going back to reliable Japanese cars!
Japanese freakin' RULE!!
Have you gone in via lifting the rear parcel shelf?

FWIW you can go to Autozone and pick from a variety of different style connectors that fit the MINI's battery posts. I made the switch for more secure connections about a year ago.

I've got to say I've had a longer laundry list of problems than anyone else I've met, and noticed that while there's items that continue to fail, that switching off the dealer techs and starting wrenching myself has reduced the # of issues.

Your American Engine was assembled in Brazil, it's the electronic harnesses lifted off the E46 3-Series, and there's a mix of BMW MINI and Chrysler badged parts. The Getrag Transmission is from Belgium.

Attached Thumbnails HELP:!!  My R53 battery is locked out! Cant open latch!-picture-4.png  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM
chilicon
1st Gear
I had the same problem in my '02 R53 when I needed to disconnect the battery to install an iPod adapter. Disconnected the battery and closed the rear hatch (rookie maneuver). Had to stick my arm through the vent on top of the rear parcel shelf to be able to lower the rear seat. Then I connected the battery and was good to go. Never was able to find the emergency release cable.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Happened on my wife's '05 MCSa once - we had a boot full of groceries and the hatch refused to open (switches are somewhat notorious for getting wet and freezing). I managed to pull the parcel shelf up and out of the way enough to release the rear seat.

As far as Japanese reliability, have you been following the Toyota debacle?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM
svldvc
1st Gear
I'm more a Nissan/Infiniti fan

Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
I feel your pain, svldvc. When you're trying to fix a problem and you're faced with bizarre hurdles that you wouldn't have to overcome in another car, it can be REALLY frustrating.

I've got a good related story for you:
Yesterday, I needed to mail two packages during my lunch hour. So my friend and I hop in the Mini and off we go. I had put my packages in the boot, since getting them in the back seat is a hassle.

As I pulled out of the parking space, my friend says "Hey, did your trunk just open?" The boot latch had made a noise. I said that I didn't think so, and we drove over to the post office. I get out of the car, and go around to the boot to get my packages and I can't get the boot open. The remote wouldn't unlock it, and the switch on the dash wouldn't unlock it. It just wouldn't open.

I went into the back seat to fold down the seat so I could get my packages that way, and I was foiled again. No release for the seats to fold down from inside the passenger compartment. FOILED!

I looked all over the car for a boot release button or level, and found nothing. I've only had the car a couple days, so I wasn't sure where to look even.

Finally, I discovered in the manual the boot release under the back seat.

It is VERY frustrating to be used to having options and being foiled at every turn. I freely admit that the lack of seat releases and a manual boot release is a design flaw. It was a stupid oversight on the part of BMW and Mini. But, that doesn't make the whole car a piece of junk.

Feel free to vent. But don't punish your Mini because some pencil pusher decided it would be cheaper not to include a manual boot release.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
I'm more a Nissan/Infiniti fan
ROTFLOL......Of course!....The hallmarks of reliability

You say its a R53 so unless you have an 02 the hatch release should be there under the center of the back seat. 07 and on...idk.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
svldvc
1st Gear
okay thanks guys...I got it open..and I'm tired of all the problems that this car caused me. Now my car is on the selling block!! anyone wants to buy? :-P

I want to say THANK YOU for all your help and comments and suggestions and (some of yours) criticism for liking Japanese reliable cars

Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Enjoy your sole-less grocery getter!! Your MINI did not like you for a reason...it sounds like you are simpley not a "MINI person". Good luck!!
I will still be driving around in my MINI with a stupid smile that makes my face hurt!! When you buy a MINI, you not only buy a car, but you get a membership in a very friendly crowd of people that are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow motorist...good karma, perhaps, but for me, it makes me smile. We all donated out time to help you out in a time of need, and what we we get back???
Insults, belittlement's, and anger?!
Everyone vents sometimes, and we all get frustrated, but dude, if you take this view of every event in life, you will miss some of the best things in the world....no risk, no reward. Driving a mini visceral, experience, and they are not the most refined cars in the world...but they do have sole, personality, and most of all, they are a reminder that the best, most rewarding things in life are not always easy!! The learning curve on MINI's are steep...they are NOT plain Jaine appliances...they are simply great!!

EDIT....I'm not trying to directly slam anybody..simplying trying to make light of the fact that a MINI is not a car for just anybody...just a select indivdual, who can take the good and the bad. I do not wish a unreliable car on anybody...but insanity is by definition doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different outcome!! To simply remedy a problem as the poster did, with a temporary fix, and then never do permanent fix is crazy....the problem will happen again and again!!

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-19-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added edit....
Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
okay thanks guys...I got it open..and I'm tired of all the problems that this car caused me. Now my car is on the selling block!! anyone wants to buy? :-P

I want to say THANK YOU for all your help and comments and suggestions and (some of yours) criticism for liking Japanese reliable cars
Yea go trade it in for a Toyota

Old 02-18-2010, 03:45 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Let's not get crazy here. Some people really just can't take it.

Quick Reply: HELP:!! My R53 battery is locked out! Cant open latch!