Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 AM
greg2429
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Spen fan not working

Hi Guys. Im almist 100% sure its my resistor that is faulty. I have managed to track a resistor that you guys are talking about. Im just not sure how to connect it up. Do i leave the old resistor in place and then kist cut the thin red wire after the plug on the fan and insert the new resistor between the wire i just cut. If possible can some onr please put pics of exactly how to connect. Mini is South Africa is rediculous with the pricing.

Thanks for the help u guys rock.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM
mcw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by greg2429
Hi Guys. Im almist 100% sure its my resistor that is faulty. I have managed to track a resistor that you guys are talking about. Im just not sure how to connect it up. Do i leave the old resistor in place and then kist cut the thin red wire after the plug on the fan and insert the new resistor between the wire i just cut. If possible can some onr please put pics of exactly how to connect. Mini is South Africa is rediculous with the pricing.

Thanks for the help u guys rock.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3732961

Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 AM
greg2429
Neutral
Thanks for the pic mcw. I have tried that but my fan still don't come on. I have a 2004 MC. I have swapped the relays around too but still no difference. If i put the aircon on the fan don't turn either. How ever the high speed fan comes on by itself . If i bridge the low spead relay manually then the low speed fan comes on.

Any thoughts on this one

Old 11-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
I just finished putting the green Amazon resistor in place. Had to charge some more freon so that the compressor would work that in turn got the low speed fan going. The relay is about 160 degrees F during the fan operation. Going to put some oil into the system as well.

Works like a charm. Kudos to all the past posts.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:27 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine since day one 2003, is still working (original Fan with this mod), imagine if I had just replaced the the whole shootin match as some recommended.
Cool beans

Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 PM
Ashley John
Neutral
Just wanted to let you guys know. I used the resistor from amazon.com (the green one). I bought this more than a year back and the resistor burned up eventually. I was just going to buy this resistor again and when i checked the review, I saw that one user used this also for a little more than a year and it died on him as well. He talked about going for the arcol version which seems better. And from regular updates we keep getting from Chris Lamb and he used Arcol. So, yea...the amazon resistor is from china and it's probably cheaper quality.
I will be opting for Arcol HS100 R33. You guys could google this and check if this particular model is available from other stores as well (The mouser website, it's out of stock)
P.S. I previously bought from this link
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-07-2017, 07:06 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
FWIW, I used two 0.68 ohm green resistors in parallel mounted with thermal grease to the front aluminum bumper reinforcement and they're still going strong after a few years.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they are lower quality than the arcol ones, but with the lower wattage being dissipated through each and adequate cooling, they should be fine for a long time. They only seem to get warm to the touch for me which is a good sign.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Ashley John
Neutral
Originally Posted by gknorr
FWIW, I used two 0.68 ohm green resistors in parallel mounted with thermal grease to the front aluminum bumper reinforcement and they're still going strong after a few years.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they are lower quality than the arcol ones, but with the lower wattage being dissipated through each and adequate cooling, they should be fine for a long time. They only seem to get warm to the touch for me which is a good sign.
Yea....I remember your old post about using two resistors. Good job and I guess it makes sense about the heat being dissipated.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
No power to power connection

When I unplug the power connector to my radiator fan, using a test light, I find none of the leads are hot. This is with the ignition on and the AC on. My fuses and relays are fine. When plugged in, NONE of my fans are working. When I checked voltage at my power steering pump fan, I found none! Suggestions?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I swear to God it's amusing as hell to read all the posts from people who just......can't........seem..........to........... read.

Anyways, just an update for me. On my 06 GP I just replaced the power steering fan, oil pan gasket, and radiator at 80,000.......and to test the power steering fan I turned the A/C on, temp all the way cold, fan on 1.

Lo and behold my low speed fan was not coming on.

I was pretty confident in my connections so luckily I had a spare resistor and swapped it out to test without mounting........and it worked. So now it's all mounted nice and neat.

I ordered my original resistor back in July of 2013....so 4 years it has been working fine........

Another huge shout out to chris.j.lamb who came up with the solution! Thank you my brother!

And for reference this is the exact part that I used:

http://www.newark.com/cgs-te-connect...rfnonsku=false

Old 04-10-2017, 02:39 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
OK, Flies, I read the pages of this post for well over an hour and got the gist of the solution for both two wire and three wire cars, BUT I had NO juice at ANY of the three wires on my connector until I cranked it up and got the temp cold. That still leaves the question: can I simply wire the resistor between two of the wires of that connector and if I do, what would be cooling my PS pump when the engine isn't hot or when the air is off? That PS fan needs to on every time the key is on.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Furthermore, when my AC compressor comes on, my brown/green wire gets voltage, not my brown/blue wire, meaning I am getting low speed resistor-fed voltage. So WHY am I getting no voltage at my PS pump fan???

Old 04-10-2017, 03:36 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Leave harness plugged in. Ac on, fan low. Temp all the way down.

Then see if the high speed fan comes on intermittently. You should hear the click of the relay for the low speed fan but be patient. The high speed fan usually comes on after 15-20 seconds or so. Just wait for it and it will only last a few seconds......Then it will shut off.....And after another ten seconds it will come on again.

The power steering fan only needs to be on if the ac is on - ie in the winter the ambient temperature is cool enough that you don't need the extra cooling from the fan.

Of course if you like driving with the windows down in 100 degree weather then it does that work out well......

The power steering fan only comes on if the low speed comes on. You most likely need to do the resistor mod.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
With power steering pumps failing at the rate they do, I'd rather have the power steering fan on every time the engine is running. Maybe I should wire it to a relay straight from the ignition.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Thumper Simpson
With power steering pumps failing at the rate they do, I'd rather have the power steering fan on every time the engine is running. Maybe I should wire it to a relay straight from the ignition.
You're welcome.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
And you need a multimeter. You can test continuity with the car OFF between the low speed wire at the fan side of the plug and ground. If there is no continuity then there is a break in the circuit which means your resistor at the fan is most likely busted.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
You're welcome.
I appreciate your help. But since the low speed side of my wiring is hot, what good would the resistor do? I have low speed fan operation, but no PS pump fan operation.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
You guys seem quite knowledgeable about these little buggers. How can I disable the immobilizer? My starter won't turn over ever since I disconnected the negative cable of the battery and reconnected it.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:41 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
When I unplug the power connector to my radiator fan, using a test light, I find none of the leads are hot. This is with the ignition on and the AC on. My fuses and relays are fine. When plugged in, NONE of my fans are working. When I checked voltage at my power steering pump fan, I found none! Suggestions?
From that I understood you were NOT getting low speed fan operation.

So I'm confused.

If you are not getting power steering fan operation, try popping in another fan. I got mine for like $85 oem manufacturer.

Plus if your car is that old it's probably shot like mine was. Could barely turn it with my finger it was so stuck.

Not sure why you can't start your car after disconnecting the battery. It shouldn't be a problem as I've done that a lot and never had that issue. You might have other issues electrically it seems.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
First thing to check is the passenger side chassis ground - 13mm bolt near the stock engine damper.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:57 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Looks like the part I listed is out of stock on that site. They have an alternative.

Seems like the same specs but I'm not 100% sure. It's also only $7.19 vs $11.02.

Anyone know if this one will work as well?

http://www.newark.com/cgs-te-connect...r47/dp/24M2717

Is it just one has a solder lug and the one you can't solder a wire to the terminal?

Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear

So I'm confused.

If you are not getting power steering fan operation, try popping in another fan. I got mine for like $85 oem manufacturer.

Plus if your car is that old it's probably shot like mine was. Could barely turn it with my finger it was so stuck.

Not sure why you can't start your car after disconnecting the battery. It shouldn't be a problem as I've done that a lot and never had that issue. You might have other issues electrically it seems.
None of the wires were hot until I started it with air on and waited 20 seconds as you suggested. Then the red/green wire was hot and the fan came on at low speed, but no voltage showed up at the PS pump fan. The car gas never failed to start prior to disconnecting the battery. But since my keyfob battery is dead, I suspect the immobilizer took action when I disconbected the battery after stopping the engine by removing the engine relay. Starter doesn't make a sound when I turn the key.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Thumper Simpson
None of the wires were hot until I started it with air on and waited 20 seconds as you suggested. Then the red/green wire was hot and the fan came on at low speed, but no voltage showed up at the PS pump fan. The car gas never failed to start prior to disconnecting the battery. But since my keyfob battery is dead, I suspect the immobilizer took action when I disconbected the battery after stopping the engine by removing the engine relay. Starter doesn't make a sound when I turn the key.
Did the fan STAY on indefinitely? It's supposed to stay on. If it comes on then goes off...then comes on again.....then goes off.......That's the high speed fan not the low speed.

But regardless when the fan is on the power steering fan should also go on. Check for continuity.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
And are you sure the relays and the fuses are all good? Not sure off the top of my head but there are fuses in the engine compartment as well as the driver side footwell.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear

So I'm confused.

the fan goes on and off but isn't loud. From your description, then, I assuume it's on high speed. Is the red/green wire correct for high speed? if low speed is supposed to be always on with AC on, and low speed is suppliedd from resisted high speed, could it be the ECU?

Quick Reply: Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution