MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
New 2014 Mini Cooper S
1 Replies, 14 Views
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Knocking sound when accelerating and decelerating

I have 2005 MCS about 58000km. A new sound appeared a couple of days ago

Any sudden changes in the gas pedal results in a single knock. Accelerate .. knock, take foot off gas pedal, knock. Its like there is something rolling around somewhere in the car (I'm pretty sure thats not actually the cause)

I read in some other post someone mentioned engine mount... Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 08:21 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Could be motor mount, check you passenger side mount and see if their is fluid beneath it. Although it isnt mentioned often check to see that the lower mount (attaches to the oil pan) is in good shape (specifically the bushings). It could also be:

-the exhaust moving as the engine bucks and contacting a heat shield
-play in the axles as the direction of the load on them changes
-
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Neutral

Send a message via AIM to MINICooperMitch
Gallery
beerbaron, do you have a manual transmission? I have a 2005 MCS with the automatic transmission, and about 43,000 miles with a similar problem.

About 8,000 miles or so ago, I noticed a similar "knocking" or a "click-click" whenever I would be in gear and either accelerate or let off the gas and engine brake (at slow speeds in 1st or 2nd, it is easiest to hear) similar to what you described.

I had a leaking passenger motor mount replaced a while ago under warranty, and appears to be fine now. However, this sound will occur when I am stopped with the foot on the brake, and alternately shift between forward and reverse. The sound is loudest from the left front wheel area and will click multiple times.

I was thinking that over the years of driving in manual mode and engine braking, that I possibly created some play on the CV/universal joint? Hopefully nothing internally on the transmission has been affected? The number of "clicks" seems to have increased over the past year, but I have not felt any adverse affects.

Any other ideas or anyone experiencing this similar problem? Either automatic or manual transmission...?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Neutral

Gallery
my 05 with 44,000 miles just started the same clicking noise as you described. mine has the 6 speed automatic tranny
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Neutral

Send a message via AIM to MINICooperMitch
Gallery
Allen, have you (or anyone else with a similar problem) contacted a MINI dealer yet? I am just wondering how common of a problem this seems to be? I will definitely ask them next time I am over that way...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NightFlyR
Gallery
if it sounds like 2 cue ***** hitting together check the CV Joints
Burn-em upus asphaltus ,04 MCS Indi Blue > 15% Pulley > Helix CAI > H&R Sports > M7 Scoop > M7 Air Diverter > Rota RBs 17s Hyperblack > Carbon Fiber Stripes > Carbon Fiber Shift Knob > Blue L.E.D Speedo and Tach
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to flannery
Gallery
This same sound started for me a couple weeks ago with my 04 MCS. Took it to the dealer and it was a broken top motor mount. Now the question is what did I do to break this? :-) Cost around $200 for the dealer to repair.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM