MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Garage door opener problems

I can't seem to get my garage doors or gate programmed. I had the same problem with my 335. Is there any kind of trick not in the manual? I tried it with the help of my wife and nothing worked. I tried it alone and nothing worked. The gate doesn't use roaming codes and I couldn't get that one to work either.

On another note, what is the most popular short antenna and where are people buying it?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Don't program your transmitter to the reciever (garage door opener). Try this...

Hit the button on the back on the garage door opener, and then hold the button in the MINI. Don't hold the button down on the garage door opener, just hit it once.

Your garage door opener light should flash. Now test it by releasing the button in the MINI and then holding it down again until the door closes.

Let us know if that works.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
Don't program your transmitter to the reciever (garage door opener). Try this...

Hit the button on the back on the garage door opener, and then hold the button in the MINI. Don't hold the button down on the garage door opener, just hit it once.

Your garage door opener light should flash. Now test it by releasing the button in the MINI and then holding it down again until the door closes.

Let us know if that works.
+1 it can be tricky sometimes. Sometimes you have to hit the learning button on the back of the garage door a couple of times before they sync.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I hit is several time - the learn button on the garage door opener - and it still didn't work today. I also tried to get it to learn the code for the gate to my community (not a roaming code) and it didn't work.

I have erased the memory on the buttons several times also. I know it doesn't have anything to do with my technique because I had to re-program a wireless keypad today too and it was successful.

I have two different openers, one for a two-car garage and one for a single-car garage. Neither one of them are working correctly with the Mini. I would think the 335 is very similar, if not the same, and I got it to work with both garages and the gate.

Any more suggestions?

I have two remotes in my car right now, but I would like to get this thing programmed like my BMW.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
rolling code door openers can be tricky. Follow the instructions in your door opener manual. I had to clear previosu codes on the car and get the car into learn mode then run out and press the button on the door opener motor and I had 30sec to press the button on the car rear view mirror.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
rolling code door openers can be tricky. Follow the instructions in your door opener manual. I had to clear previosu codes on the car and get the car into learn mode then run out and press the button on the door opener motor and I had 30sec to press the button on the car rear view mirror.

Are you saying just keep trying? What you described is what I have been doing, over and over and over.

This is pretty frustrating, but my personality will not let me give up knowing I have the functionality in my car.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quick question, is your car on when you try this?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Are you saying just keep trying? What you described is what I have been doing, over and over and over.

This is pretty frustrating, but my personality will not let me give up knowing I have the functionality in my car.
With rolling codes, not only do you have to program the transmitter but you also have to synch the garage door opener to understand the rolling code.

This is a two step process.
1. [Have the mini transmitter learn the code]. (which is what you have been doing). On the Mini, press the two outer buttons until it flashes. Choose the button you want to program, press it and hold. Bring portable opener remote to unit and press this it until it changes the flashes. However, it seems to continue to flash after completing the steps but it does not work yet.
2. [Have the garage door opener code synched] Go to the garage door opener and look for a purple button [sometimes blue/other colors depending on the garage door opener maker] and press it. This is sometimes hidden under the light cover, but it always on one of the vertical surfaces of the garage door opener. The garage door opener should now have an LED flashing (in synch mode). Go back into the Mini and now press the button you are programming one more time. The next time you hit the button, it should work.

You only have a couple of minutes to do the entire procedure, so get the ladder and all the stuff ready before trying.

If you still have problems, pm me.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Yes, the car is running when I do this.

Slinger, I didn't do the first part you told me about. I would just erase the memory from the buttons, hit the learning button on the opener and then went to the car and pressed the buttons. I'm out right now, but will try it when I get home.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Yes, the car is running when I do this.

Slinger, I didn't do the first part you told me about. I would just erase the memory from the buttons, hit the learning button on the opener and then went to the car and pressed the buttons. I'm out right now, but will try it when I get home.
Yes, the first part erases all the memory, and choses a button to program and start programming.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
I remember having to take the light cover off one of my 2 openers. One is old and one is newer than the car. I finally got the new one to work. The old one was easy.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
I just did mine the other day. You must follow the instructions for programing a non rolling code door first. You must bring the remote for the garage door in the car. You must then press the button you want to program on the mirror and the button on the remote at the same time and hold it. The LED will flash slow, when it flashes fast release both buttons. Next press the learn button on your garage door opener. Go back to the car and press the button you were programing. Your garage door light will probably flash and it should be programed.

2011 JCW Factory Hardtop - Spice Orange/Black - Black Bonnet Stripes, White turn signals, Leather: Punch Carbon Black, Chrome Line Interior, Convenience + Mini Connect and Nav/Premium/Cold Weather Packages, Sport Suspension, Rear Fog Lights, Xenon Headlight w/Adaptive Light Control, Auto Dimming Side Mirrors, Rear Park Distance Control, Alarm
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Slinger,

I followed your instructions exactly and...I can open both garages now and the gate!

The remotes have been returned to the drawer in the house!

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Hrmph, it's what I told you to do in the first place...
XXX Returned due to Ralph Schomp mistakes, never buy from them! 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S - Dark Grey w\ Rooster Red Interior
*retired* 2005 MINI Cooper S - Pepper White

My favorite MINI Dealer: http://www.miniofloveland.com/
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Tomegun,

Glad it worked out. Sometimes, you have to erase the stored codes and start over to get it to work well.

Hmmm, no worries, you can take credit for this.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Sorry Hmmm. I just didn't get the first step the first time you broke it down.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Garage
I Love this Forum, especially this thread!

Oh my gawd, you all deserve a big hug tonight. You have no idea how long I have tried to program the built-in convenience package garage door opener in my MINI. I finally gave up and continued to carry the remote that came with the unit. My garage door opener is nearly 25 years old and I just assumed that it was not compatible with the car. Yesterday, I stumbled onto this thread, printed it out and decided that when I had the time I would give it a try. So tonight, I decided that I had nothing to lose and would give it another try. I cleared out all of the codes as I had thought that I had done nine million tries before, selected a button to be my "home" button and then brought the portable remote opener up to the car's button and watched with amazement as the flash changed right before my eyes! I held my breath and pushed the car's opener button. I nearly got misty! I am so jazzed that next I think I will try to program the opener to my parents house into one of the other buttons! I am on a technology high.

I have been liberated from the old remote control; I have a convenience button built into the car that is for more than just show and I don't have to get wet anymore when the stupid battery in the portable remote chooses to die when we are having an unusually heavy downpour never before seen by local weatherpersons! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love this Forum.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
I just wish they made it work for 30 seconds or so after the car is shut down.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Areally LOUD shout-out to Slinger 688.

I've been trying to program my lil guy to the garage door opener since December. I read the MINI manual and the Chamberlan garage door manual about 800 times. Spoke to tech's at MINI and Chamberlan 4 times and just couldn't get it done. Stumbled on Slingers procedure this morning, and even though it was a different procedure than I was told to do, I tried it. Bingo, it worked the first time. Thanks Slinger. BTW, how did you come up with this proven procedure?
PEPPER WHITE OWNERS CLUB # 11111, LIL GUY, 2007 MCS/PW/B, Black Bonnet Stripes, Leather Lounge Carbon Black Interior, Convenience, Sport, Premium Packages, English Oak surfaces, and a usually dirty exterior boot. I'm not perfect. I thought I made a mistake in 1984, but I was mistaken.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLINY View Post
I just wish they made it work for 30 seconds or so after the car is shut down.
Me too! You would think it would be a safety requirement.
PEPPER WHITE OWNERS CLUB # 11111, LIL GUY, 2007 MCS/PW/B, Black Bonnet Stripes, Leather Lounge Carbon Black Interior, Convenience, Sport, Premium Packages, English Oak surfaces, and a usually dirty exterior boot. I'm not perfect. I thought I made a mistake in 1984, but I was mistaken.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikimowse View Post
Oh my gawd, you all deserve a big hug tonight. You have no idea how long I have tried to program the built-in convenience package garage door opener in my MINI. I finally gave up and continued to carry the remote that came with the unit. My garage door opener is nearly 25 years old and I just assumed that it was not compatible with the car. Yesterday, I stumbled onto this thread, printed it out and decided that when I had the time I would give it a try. So tonight, I decided that I had nothing to lose and would give it another try. I cleared out all of the codes as I had thought that I had done nine million tries before, selected a button to be my "home" button and then brought the portable remote opener up to the car's button and watched with amazement as the flash changed right before my eyes! I held my breath and pushed the car's opener button. I nearly got misty! I am so jazzed that next I think I will try to program the opener to my parents house into one of the other buttons! I am on a technology high.

I have been liberated from the old remote control; I have a convenience button built into the car that is for more than just show and I don't have to get wet anymore when the stupid battery in the portable remote chooses to die when we are having an unusually heavy downpour never before seen by local weatherpersons! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love this Forum.
+1 to that, Slinger is the man. I have also been trying to program my garage door opener since July when I got my MINI . Now I find this thread and BAM I actually have a good chance of this working. I am currently not back at my home because I am in college, but I will try this over a break and report back if it works.

09 MCS Dark Silver(Black Mamba)-Premium,Sport&Convenience,Black web spoke wheels.Performance Mods:RMW Dyno Tuned|Helix FMIC|Hotchkis 19mm sway bar|NM discharge pipe,torque arm bushings&tie-bar|Custom 2.5"Magnaflow Exhaust|BFG KDW 215/40/17|Visual Mods:|Hoen H8 fogs&led city lights|M7 grills|Other Mods: BSH OCC&direct dual boost tap|Marshall Boost&Water Temp.Gauges
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
A really LOUD shout-out to Slinger688
DITTO

Hi, me again. I am on a roll. Tonight, I programmed my parent's garage door opener into button #2. In this case, a newer opener and it had the learning button. I tried the "hold up manual remote" technique and when it did not work, I did not despair. Instead I progressed onto Plan Two and looked for a learning button on the opener unit itself. It was purple/lavender and even labeled "Learning Button". It worked the first time!

But I have three buttons on my mirror, I could not be satisfied with with only two victories, I thirsted for more. I have a remote that I plug my outdoor Christmas lights into as well as the tree in the house. You guessed it, that sweet little third button on my mirror allows me to turn on my Christmas lights when I drive up to the house during the holidays! Now is that awesome or what?

Thank you for my early Christmas present Slinger and happy holidays to all.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
I am glad it all worked out for all of you. The Mini uses Homelink, so it is the same procedure on all the cars with it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikimowse View Post
DITTO
But I have three buttons on my mirror, I could not be satisfied with with only two victories, I thirsted for more. I have a remote that I plug my outdoor Christmas lights into as well as the tree in the house. You guessed it, that sweet little third button on my mirror allows me to turn on my Christmas lights when I drive up to the house during the holidays! Now is that awesome or what?
That's brilliant...which gives me an idea...I would love to be able to drive up and turn on my outside garage door lights. Has anyone paired their opener with a wireless light switch in their house.

Does anyone know if it would work or what type of light switch one would need...I assume that it is an RF system and not IR since the garage door openers don't have any receiver external to the house.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Garage
I have attached a copy of the remote control unit that I use for the Christmas lights. I don't know if this is what you are thinking of? The light or whatever plugs into the base unit and the remote is wireless. This whole remote for the Christmas lights started because no one wanted to go out into the garage after 11:00 pm to unplug the lights before going to bed. It could be as low as 35 degrees in the garage - too cold. I know, us wimps in California! The only thing with this remote is that because the on and off buttons are separate, you can only program the car button to either turn the lights on or turn them off. For me this is not a problem because we turn them off from inside the house anyway with the handheld remote. I used the "hold up the hand held remote" method and started with the lights in the "off" position and pressed the "on" button while holding the car button. Worked like a charm. The possibilities are endless. Turn on the hot tub as you pull into the driveway, turn on the TV, turn on the electric blanket, anything that can operate with a remote control. Can anyone else think of some great items to turn on remotely from the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage door opener problems-remote.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 PM