MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
How to remove passenger side drive axle?

I've got a 2003 MCS; what do you have to remove to get at the carrier bearing on the passenger CV axle? Can I remove the Power Steering fan or is there another technique?

Thanks in advance. I know I need to get a hanyes or bentley manual but so far I've never had the need.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear

Location: Half Moon Bay California, 25 miles south of SF on the coast
Gallery
Bentley

If you live in the Bay Area I'll lend you my Bentley.No mention of removing PS fan though you will be required to drain the transmission; loossen flanged nut on wheel hub; Remove brake caliper; remove steering tie rod; undo ABS sensor; Remove outer control arm ball joint.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Neutral

Gallery
Thanks for the offer, but I'm in WI so I can't take you up on that.
I'm replacing the wheel bearing too so I already had the knuckle removed as well as the ball joint etc. I didn't know I needed to drain the trans fluid though so thanks for that! I just can't see a way to get at the bolts (specifically the upper one) on the passenger axle carrier bearing so I can then pull the assembly out of the trans.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:36 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
You do need to remove the power steering fan. That's what I had to do to pull the drive shaft and replace the boot. You do NOT need to drain the transmission fluid.

I was able to get the upper bolt with a long (6 in. I think) extension. It had to be done by feel cause there is very little room. Getting it back in and started is even more fun. Fortunately I had access to a lift.

Alan

Quaife LSD, OS Giken Clutch / Flywheel, Camber Plates, 25.5mm tubular rear sway bar, 15% pulley, Leda shocks & Swift springs, Hotchkis lower control arms, BBK, RMW tune, Borla cat-back exhaust, 15 inch track wheels
Old 05-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Thanks Alan, that's what I was looking for. Now I just need time to tackle it.

Any hints on the process of replacing the boot? I'm pulling the axle because the boot closest to the carrier bearing has a very small leak that just started and I'm hoping to rebuild it (got the OEM boot kit from MINI) but I haven't done an axle boot before. I've found several online pictorials which I'm hoping will help.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Its very straight forward. Undo the clasp that holds the boot on. Remove the old boot / squeeze all the grease in / attach clasp to the new boot. Make sure you use the correct grease!!! Different grease for transmission side boot vs. wheel bearing side boot.

Alan

Quaife LSD, OS Giken Clutch / Flywheel, Camber Plates, 25.5mm tubular rear sway bar, 15% pulley, Leda shocks & Swift springs, Hotchkis lower control arms, BBK, RMW tune, Borla cat-back exhaust, 15 inch track wheels
Old 05-29-2009, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
You can leave the axle in the car. Remove the outer tie rod from the knuckle, removed the caliper bracket and the rotor. Than remove the 4 13mm bolts from the wheel hub/bearing assembly. You should be able to rotate and get the axle around the replace the outer boot.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by techtipz View Post
You can leave the axle in the car. Remove the outer tie rod from the knuckle, removed the caliper bracket and the rotor. Than remove the 4 13mm bolts from the wheel hub/bearing assembly. You should be able to rotate and get the axle around the replace the outer boot.
All extra work....just the brake caliber, lower control arm ball joint nuts, and axle nut...power steering fan and 3 shaft bolts....that's it.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Garage
I didn't touch the power steering fan or the caliper when I did mine. I just removed the outer ball joint, tie-rod, axle nut, and the lower motor mount for some extra room.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Hate to step in with another question but is it the same for a '06 non-S? Heard clicking noise making turns in the parking deck today.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Gallery
I think basically the same.

2004 MCS JCW, 15% pulley, JCW 380cc injectors, ATI damper, Dinan CAI, MSD ignition & wires, Mynes V2 header, M7 STB, TSW rear control arms, H-sport front and rear sway bars, H-sport lowering springs, Powerflex bushes all around, modified Forge intercooler, R56 MCS front brake caliper upgrade.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Thanks. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be the driver side. Not looking forward to this. Was thinking of going with NAPA rebuilt ones since 1/4 the price of rebuilt OEM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Garage
Yeah the procedure is the same but the axles are different. Make sure you get the right ones and compare to the old one. Also check the splines and the snap ring on the new axle. I had problems getting mine in. Turned out the snap ring was a little bigger than the old one. Had to swap them.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Weird, no more clicking sound. Drove in circles in the parking deck to try to see if it would happen again but nothing. It was definitely a mechanical clicking noise before. Rotated the tires on that side when I got home and checked the axle boots. They look perfect.

Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Found this.

R53 DIY MINI Copper S Drive Shaft Axel Boot Removal Procedure the easy way - YouTube
"> R53 DIY MINI Copper S Drive Shaft Axel Boot Removal Procedure the easy way - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Thanks. Going to have to replace my passenger side axle. Have been getting a vibration when car is turning to the right (and noise) which goes away when driving straight ahead.

Not good because I have to leave for Orlando on Saturday.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I'm in love...

For the axle nut, I've read where the car has to be on the ground. My wheels don't have a center cap for that. Will I need someone to hold the brake pedal down?

Nevermind - I remembered the HF impact wrench that I bought and never used. Five seconds, that was awesome!

Last edited by tbearmini; 12-03-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Dust cover

Got the axle in but I must have damaged the seal (big leak). Bought the OEM seal but didn't have time to take it all apart again so took it to a garage. They wouldn't use my part but the seal they bought didn't fit so it leaked again.

They finally used my seal and it's not leaking now but I looked under the car and the dust cover is gone (I mangled it up when I put the old one back on). I do not want to take it apart again. Any ideas of how to rig something up or could I get away without it?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Well, I think I am going to get a new cover and try to cut it and fit it or buy a rubberized gasket maker and just cover the area.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
The only "possible" patch would be if you had an old boot, trim the ends off (where the clamps go) split it open completely, clean both boots really well (outside of the one on the car, inside of the patch boot) put silicone all over the inside of the patch boot & wrap it around the other with the split 180° from the crack, then zip tie it together.
It would be a long shot, but worse case, you have to take out apart & fix it right anyway.
'05 JCW Cabrio, Pure Silver, Drag DR11 Gun Metal Grey wheels, H Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, H Sport 25mm Rear Sway bar, Ireland Engine Bushings, TSW Solid Motor Mount, DT/BPV, RMW Head, Match Ported Intake Manifold, TPR / ACG, Sprintex S/C w/ 60mm Pulley, Custom Zex 2 stage NOS system, Mynes V2 Header, GPIC, JCW exhaust, 550cc Injectors, Mynes Tune & Byteronik F/A software, 7200 redline (And a Huge Thanks to Chad for a lot of the original work.)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlwnAway View Post
The only "possible" patch would be if you had an old boot, trim the ends off (where the clamps go) split it open completely, clean both boots really well (outside of the one on the car, inside of the patch boot) put silicone all over the inside of the patch boot & wrap it around the other with the split 180° from the crack, then zip tie it together.
It would be a long shot, but worse case, you have to take out apart & fix it right anyway.
Sorry, probably described it poorly. The metal dust cover (the metal ring) where the axle shaft goes into the transmission is missing. Since it covers the actual seal I didn't know how critical to replace it versus cutting something out and trying to cover it up.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Oops, thought you were talking about the boot itself, but go ahead & give it a try, again, worse case, you have to pull it & replace it, just keep it clean & watch it carefully.
'05 JCW Cabrio, Pure Silver, Drag DR11 Gun Metal Grey wheels, H Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, H Sport 25mm Rear Sway bar, Ireland Engine Bushings, TSW Solid Motor Mount, DT/BPV, RMW Head, Match Ported Intake Manifold, TPR / ACG, Sprintex S/C w/ 60mm Pulley, Custom Zex 2 stage NOS system, Mynes V2 Header, GPIC, JCW exhaust, 550cc Injectors, Mynes Tune & Byteronik F/A software, 7200 redline (And a Huge Thanks to Chad for a lot of the original work.)
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 AM