Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

The cold start clatter has caused a conundrum in my head

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 AM
mariajisella1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cold start clatter has caused a conundrum in my head

Before I order my new mini clubman, I am puzzled and a little concerned over the cold start clatter i have read so much about. Does the clatter happen in the S or both versions?????? does anyone have any insight to this?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supposedly, just the S. However, the justacooper has had it's own similar problem (I'll try to find a link).

On a personal note, I've never experienced the "cold start issue," and my MCS just hit 1500 miles.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3800 miles on my '09 MCS with no cold start rattle.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 AM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
The "clatter" has caused a conundrum for many of us, I think. I don't know if it's a deal breaker on a Mini but more times than not I wish I was not aware of the potential. I purchased my Clubman S last November. To date I only have 600 miles on it. I don't want to drive it on the salt covered roads. Still everytime I start it up I listen for the "clatter". The only thing I hear is the normal engine noise associated with the direct injection. The Clubman runs great. These forums can put a little scare in you so be cautious. There are any number of threads where owners applaud the quality of the Mini and report no problems to include the "clatter". Of course it remains in the back of your mind and therefore can put a damper on the whole enjoyment thing. I"m not letting myself get caught up in it. There are thousands of Minis on the road, the car has a good warrenty and the used ones seems to hold there value. Don't let it bother you. The pluses of Mini ownership far outweigh the negatives. Of course if mine starts banging itself to death, I may ammend this post. Dan

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
I have an 07 Mini Cooper S with 32,000 miles on it. Have the cold chatter and honestly it really isn't something to worry about. It's a machine and sometimes machines don't like the cold. It goes away after the engine heats up.'

Also it helps if you (from the day you get your car) give it time to heat up in the morning. Don't push it past 3000-3500 RPMS. that will help tremendously.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SomethingNew71; 02-15-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingNew71
I have an 07 Mini Cooper S with 32,000 miles on it. Have the cold chatter and honestly it really isn't something to worry about.
I'm wondering what the basis is for your claim. Did you have the opportunity to tear down your valve system and verify the absence of premature wear in the affected components? If so, please let us know. We could really use that kind of hard evidence.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I'm wondering what the basis is for your claim. Did you have the opportunity to tear down your valve system and verify the absence of premature wear in the affected components? If so, please let us know. We could really use that kind of hard evidence.
I'm sorry all I was trying to say is that I have driven quite a few cars in the past in the cold and its never been a problem. I just assumed cars made different noises when they were cold. I didn't mean to strike any nerves or start any argument. Sorry

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Gil-galad
I'm sorry all I was trying to say is that I have driven quite a few cars in the past in the cold and its never been a problem. I just assumed cars made different noises when they were cold. I didn't mean to strike any nerves or start any argument. Sorry
No nerves struck and no offense taken. Just that there are a whole lot of MINI enthusiasts out there who really would like some hard evidence! Anyone who has experienced this issue for themselves will confirm for you that the clatter is clearly NOT normal, even for a cold engine.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
No nerves struck and no offense taken. Just that there are a whole lot of MINI enthusiasts out there who really would like some hard evidence! Anyone who has experienced this issue for themselves will confirm for you that the clatter is clearly NOT normal, even for a cold engine.
Maybe I should start looking into this then ill talk to my dealer in winston-salem. Maybe they have heard something.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Gil-galad
Maybe I should start looking into this then ill talk to my dealer in winston-salem. Maybe they have heard something.
Here's some good places to start your research:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/...issue-exposed/

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...when-cold.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-database.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-chatter.html

Don't be surprised if the people with whom you come into contact at the dealership plead ignorance...it's a common occurrence.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Here's some good places to start your research:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/...issue-exposed/

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...when-cold.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-database.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-chatter.html

Don't be surprised if the people with whom you come into contact at the dealership plead ignorance...it's a common occurrence.
oh man I know this all too well. I had transmission issues my god you would be appalled at all the "stupid"/"clueless" dealership workers there are. But that is a story for another day.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
I was filling up the SUV Sunday when while pumping I hear this familiar clatter. Look over and in comes an 07 Mini S. When i finish up the guy in the Mini is still pumping so I ask how do you like it. He loves as he says. So I ask had any problems. He says "got 7000 miles on the car and it's never been in the shop". So I ask "have you changed your oil". He says, "no', like I had two heads. Point I'm making is, his car to me sounded loud on idle which I believe was injector noise yet here is a guy who thinks all is fine in the world and more than likely it is.

Last edited by danny 1940; 02-16-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Gil-galad
Danny, I really thought you were going to draw a parallel between the guy's blissful ignorance of his clatter problem and his empty-headed reaction to your question about changing his oil...

"The wise man doubteth often and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance." [Akhenaton]

Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danny 1940
I was filling up the SUV Sunday when while pumping I hear this familiar clatter. Look over and in comes an 07 Mini S. When i finish up the guy in the Mini is still pumping so I ask how do you like it. He loves as he says. So I ask had any problems. He says "got 7000 miles on the car and it's never been in the shop". So I ask "have you changed your oil". He says, "no', like I had two heads. Point I'm making is, his car to me sounded loud on idle which I believe was injector noise yet here is a guy who thinks all is fine in the world and more than likely it is.
Some folks confuse the clatter with the general noise these engines make at idle and all the DI-related tapping. The clatter is whole different animal. the one instance I had it it was much louder in the cabin (amplification tube?) than outside with the bonnet up....

Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 AM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
Gil, I agree ignorance is bliss. This thread is my favorite. I love the conundrum concept. I'm a car guy all my life. Street rods, race cars, etc. Also I think I'm a fairly good wrench as a hobbyist. I've got my Clubman over a thousand miles now since I just started really driving it as the weather /salt has cleared. So far the car is fine. Actually I'm quite impressed with how it runs and the overall package; handling, economy, performane, etc. If I start to hear the "clatter" you can be assured I'll be at the dealer. If the problem should occur and it goes as far as a chain tensor replacement, I'll insist on inspecting the old parts. I think overall the engineering in the motor is sound although I'm not crazy about the French connection. As I said in previous post, the worry about the "clatter" is what kills the moment so to speak. I'll be changing the oil today now that I'm at 1000 miles. I'm blown away by this oil change debate. Old school new school thinking whatever, dirt is dirt no matter how you slice it! Off to the garage. Dan