Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having mine looked at on Thurs. Anyone think they're likely to give me any trouble about the speakers I installed, as in, should I quick swap the OEM speakers back in? I didn't modify the wiring at all.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldn't worry about the speakers.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:34 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
They haven't complained about them yet; they've been "programming" all day! They gave me a nice 5-series for a loaner, which was great except that the display screen showed ABS, Airbag, AWD and stability control system faults when I started it up LOL... the guy got me another car right quick which was nice.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Well got it back and it seems to be fixed. They just did some programming things on it. (And fixed some other minor problems)

Driving the 335i for 2 days was fun, but you can't believe how happy I was to get back in my MINI. I'd have to say I was treated pretty darn well at Bill Jacobs.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:20 PM
abbie01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UnHappy Birthday

I got a 2008 beautiful dark silver w/black stripes MCS for my b-day, and it was love at first sight until I noticed that the passenger window was open approx 1/4 inch. After much frustration and hours reading the forums, I tried the "hold it up 15 sec-hold it down 15 sec", and it sort of works -but never quite closes completely. I am concerned about rain, as well as break-in because it leaves a gap large enough for a coat hanger, etc.

When I open the passenger door, the window dips, then goes back up when closed, but never completely to the top.

My 6 day love affair is fading and I don't know what else to do short of driving 50 miles round trip to the dealer. At least its still under warranty.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Howdy folks (and sorry about your birthday abbie01)... I've joined the club(man) dipperupperdownerbummerschizowindow issues. I've got an 09 clubbie S and I live in Middle TN (temperate, but we do have the occaisional cold snap and snow about 2 times a year, altho it's melted by noon).

I've told my SA about it a few times, even called him panicked in a rain storm when it started acting all freaky (and he walked me thru the quick fix), but since my window always acted "normal" at the dealership, he couldn't do anything- well today, Mocha was in for a bad seal on my clubdoor (it's deformed and is to be replaced). One of the service guys took Mocha for her bath before I was to depart, and he came back with a wet leg. So we went to my SA with proof positive of window issues and viola, it went absolutely NUTZ for my SA. He looked at me, knew I had an hour drive home and a 9 yr old waiting for me to pick her up at school, with only 45 minutes to get there, helped me grab all my stuff out of my clubman, shoved some paperwork under my nose, I signed, a MCS was brought up and all my stuff was put in it & off I went...
Let me tell ya, my SA has gone out of his way for me a few times and I am extremely grateful.

He called me around 5 pm and told me that he got the reprogramming done, but that this is not a permanent fix. BMW/MINI has a bulletin out on this and there is a software program permanent fix in the works but isn't due out until 3rd qtr 09 (Sept possibly). My SA is as frustrated as I am on this - My suggestion, if the windows can work that long, is to ask to have your windows checked/reprogrammed everytime you go in for rotate/balance (every 3000 miles) or whenever you go in, whichever is sooner...
I'm going to grab a couple of the posts here and bring them to Gary. There is some really good info here..
Thanks to all of you for keeping up with this. Hopefully we can all survive the dipperupperdownerbummerschizowindow issues without resorting to psychoanalysis or heavy drug use (but I'm looking forward to a glass of wine tonight!)

Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Before mine were fixed I never had any success with holding the switch up, but I was always able to get them closed eventually by pressing the up repeatedly.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 AM
abbie01
1st Gear
Window tinting/window not closing

thanks for the info, sympathy, and advice. I didn't think to even mention that the previous owner had the window tinted. Any connection?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
djdnz
1st Gear
Just an update for my GF's 09 MC: She took it into the dealer and showed them the problem with the window not dipping, and then showed him the deformed seal. They were aware of the dipping problem and said that the programming update would fix it temporarily, but they were concerned about the seal. The SA said they would replace it if necessary; but when we came back to pick it up, they had fixed its placement and now it looks like it should have. I guess it just lost adhesion. I still believe this had something to do with the dipping problem myself...
So for now it's working as it should and she's happy again

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

I'm about 3 weeks after having windows reprogrammed for the 2nd time and they're working thus far properly.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
Here's a new one, I think

Sorry...

Last edited by Alto Clef; 03-27-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: posted in wrong thread; late night typing
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM
number84
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Alto Clef
I searched for a thread on this... am I the first?

Yesterday, parking when I arrived at work, I stepped on the clutch pedal to shift from neutral into first, and heard this metallic noise under the dash, like something breaking. Weird, a little scary, but the car still functioned, so I parked. Looking under the dash, I could see a spring, about an inch and a quarter long by a half inch diameter, dangling with the "hook" broken off one end, and still attached somewhere under the dash. I figured it had to be related to the clutch pedal, but couldn't see where the broken hook had attached.

Drove home after work (7 miles) and called dealer. They took a look yesterday afternoon, but didn't have the spring in stock. They overnighted the part, and I picked up the Clubman this evening. Work order says "separated clutch return spring", a $1.50 part. I had asked the service mgr if there was a redundant backup spring, since this one seemed kinda lightweight, but he checked and told me this was the only clutch return spring. I feel pretty lucky that the car still drove.

Kudos to the service dept for insisting I bring the car in right away. Between the Enterprise rental (an Impala ), the overnight fees and the 1.7 hours (!) of tech time, MINI ate a pretty big bill for a $1.50 part. Any wisdom from you tech types out there as to why the car still functioned, if the one & only clutch return spring failed?
What does this have to do with the window dipper?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Azfast1
Neutral
My 09 MCS started the drivers window problem today. Sunny Arizona so cold weather is out. 2000 miles on car, waiting for a return call from Mini North Scottsdale to see what the fix is. Was going to schedule the JCW tuning kit install, but I think I will hold off until they fix the window issue.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
MINIspud
5th Gear
dont hold off on that great upgrade... since it will already be in the shop, pull the trigger.

The KIT makes a world of difference, dont deprive yourself!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shutting the door is a real problem for most people.

I know myself that if you do not tell a passenger to use the door handle and not push on the window glass thay will shove ( or should I say ) slam the door closed as hard as they can using the window glass. I think a lot of drivers also do this procedure when getting out of the car and closing the door. Common sense will tell anyone that this will cause a problem with a window because the window is not meant to be pushed on. It is designed to go up and down.
Slamming the door is also hard on the speakers and electrics inside of the door.

Ronnie948

Old 04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I have never seen anyone close my door using the window. Maybe it's me?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
Mine had the up-and-back-down-halfway issue passenger's side window. First time they did re-initialize then it just worked fine, but after one week later I got same issue so they replaced the window motor and so far so good the passenger's side window until now.

However (sigh) driver's side window is acting up since last Friday. The problem is window dropping down just 1/10 of an inch when I open the door. It's weird.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I have never seen anyone close my door using the window. Maybe it's me?
same.

I personally use the belt line. Excessive grabbing of the same area on paint will cause scratches.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 PM
number84
1st Gear
i closed the door this way for the first couple of times cuz all the other cars i've owned had a frame around the window. just habit i guess...but i'm more aware now after having it for a couple of weeks. the handle is the best place to close it i find.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
macmanjpc
1st Gear
Without going in to a VERY long explanation. Until there is a permanent fix for the window dipping there is a workaround. After the car has been reprogrammed to the very latest software, and the windows have been re-initialized, simply open the windows all the way down and then all the way up once a day. I simply do this when I pull in to the coffee shop drive-thru every morning.

A quick explanation is that the hall sensors only recalibrate to zero when the window drops all the way. With repeated partial openings (which happens every time you open and close the door) the windows become incrementally more uncalibrated until eventually the calibration becomes so out of whack that the programming gives up and, well, we all knows what happens then. This also explains why the Driver's window is more effected than the passenger's side, as there are usually more door opening events on the left side of the car than the right, so it takes much longer for the passenger side to become out of sync.

So, long story short, open and close your windows once a day until the permanent fix becomes available.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
thanks for that. I am dropping off my car next week to get this and other issues fixed..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Took in the MINI and had them fix the window. We'll see how long it lasts - I am convinced that it is caused by cold weather, but who knows. Hopefully it will stay away through the summer.

Keep us posted when you get fixed and if they did anything more than re-initialize the windows.

Oh yeah got my tailpipes shortened. I was never burnt by them ever, but whatever!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 AM
swest2507
1st Gear
There is supposed to be a software fix for the window issues coming out later this year. MINI just released a new software fix that may help some of the window issues.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by macmanjpc
Without going in to a VERY long explanation. Until there is a permanent fix for the window dipping there is a workaround. After the car has been reprogrammed to the very latest software, and the windows have been re-initialized, simply open the windows all the way down and then all the way up once a day. I simply do this when I pull in to the coffee shop drive-thru every morning.

A quick explanation is that the hall sensors only recalibrate to zero when the window drops all the way. With repeated partial openings (which happens every time you open and close the door) the windows become incrementally more uncalibrated until eventually the calibration becomes so out of whack that the programming gives up and, well, we all knows what happens then. This also explains why the Driver's window is more effected than the passenger's side, as there are usually more door opening events on the left side of the car than the right, so it takes much longer for the passenger side to become out of sync.

So, long story short, open and close your windows once a day until the permanent fix becomes available.

Cheers,
Jason
Interesting. Makes perfect sense, but never thought of it before!! I guess this explains why my passenger side window keeps "fixing itself"......I just realized its fixed itself after I've rolled it down all the way!!!! I've already had it in for the re-initialization (which I knew wasn't going to work). Sure enough, its been dipping down like 3 inches. Today I rolled it down all the way and its back to normal!!!!

Just an FYI- my drivers door had its motor replaced and its been fine ever since.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jsargevt
I am convinced that it is caused by cold weather, but who knows. Hopefully it will stay away through the summer.
!
I was convinced of this too and told my service advisor this the first time I brought my car in but he seemed to think it had nothing to do with it.

By the 4th visit, he came out and said it has something to do with the temp changes and condensation getting into the door. When it suddenly gets very cold and then warm (or when you park it in a garage), there is moisture that builds up in the door and it affects something in the door. If only he'd had listened to me in the first place....

Originally Posted by swest2507
There is supposed to be a software fix for the window issues coming out later this year. MINI just released a new software fix that may help some of the window issues.
Good to know!!

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper