Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m25443
That doesn't seem to work for me. As soon as it hits the top it goes to halfway.

Mike
even if you keep holding the toggle up? you can't use the auto-up feature.

hold up, it'll hit the top and drop.. let go and push the toggle back up and it'll close.

it's a safety feature, so if that's not functioning, you should definitely go to the dealer.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GregO
Alex,

Sorry to hear that, given your's is several months newer than mine. I've got a second appointment early this week, but I expect it will only last a few weeks again at best. I'm still composing my lemon law letter for other problems, but for which this newer problem will only be added.

I'd recommend you call MoS service manager Christal Waddy and giver her your scenario. For a different problem, she offered to send a "mobile technician"; that may not be an option for yours, but given your travel distance, it's worth a try. I've just been pushing on the top of my window when closing the door so it doesn't get hung up.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Greg

Thanks, I will see how yours turns out. I got it to where it is up enough to meet the rubber so rain cant get in, but not so far that it hits the roof lip. I just wont let any passengers use the window for now. The car is at 8500 miles, and it is due for its first service at 11K. So that should give me enough time to see how you and other folks' progress on fixing the problem.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Jason Montague
To Go In Harm's Way
Window Dipper/Window Electrical Glitches

Originally Posted by MINIspud
Thanks, I will see how yours turns out. I got it to where it is up enough to meet the rubber so rain cant get in, but not so far that it hits the roof lip. I just wont let any passengers use the window for now. The car is at 8500 miles, and it is due for its first service at 11K. So that should give me enough time to see how you and other folks' progress on fixing the problem.
Hey y'all,Mini Margi's windows have the same poltergeist in the windows as your cars.So PLEASE keep us posted on out comes.I've been to the dealer also for a rezap of the computer and it didn't correct anything.My car 2008 MCS JCW ,made jan08 ,delivered feb 08 to Mini of Dallas(Texas) now with 19,000 miles.Good luck and I'll say a Mini Prayer. Jason Montague

Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by Jason Montague

Hey y'all,Mini Margi's windows have the same poltergeist in the windows as your cars.So PLEASE keep us posted on out comes.I've been to the dealer also for a rezap of the computer and it didn't correct anything.My car 2008 MCS JCW ,made jan08 ,delivered feb 08 to Mini of Dallas(Texas) now with 19,000 miles.Good luck and I'll say a Mini Prayer. Jason Montague
I will post what happens. Unfortunately, I was told by my dealer that the first flash I received was the latest version that was supposed to fix it. They'll reflash it again and wait. I remember one poster stating his has been reprogrammed 6 times already with no luck. Dealer also mentioned they will likely have to open a PUMA case, but we'll see. Don't know if it's at all related, but both times, I noticed the windows began rattling (almost the sound of a moth being caught in the headliner) before the dippers failed.

Greg

Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
uggh! Keep us updated Greg.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
TinyElvis
Neutral
Hi all. New Clubman owner (1 month) here..

I experienced the mysterious driver side window issue over the weekend: using the one-touch up, the window goes to the top and then let it's down halfway.

Using the 'reset' method previously described (all the way down, hold, all the way up, hold), I was able to 'fix' the issue. However, the dip no longer occurs when the door is opened.

I don't really have anything to add other than adding my name to the list of users who have experienced this oddity.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by TinyElvis
Hi all. New Clubman owner (1 month) here..

I experienced the mysterious driver side window issue over the weekend: using the one-touch up, the window goes to the top and then let it's down halfway.

Using the 'reset' method previously described (all the way down, hold, all the way up, hold), I was able to 'fix' the issue. However, the dip no longer occurs when the door is opened.

I don't really have anything to add other than adding my name to the list of users who have experienced this oddity.
Tiny,
If you want to recreate the "half mast" (in case you need to show your dealer), open your door and then roll the window down and back up and chances are it will hit the top and bounce back down again. Dropped mine off last night and it hasn't been worked on yet, but they told me they're opening a PUMA case with it, so I'll post an update when I have one...
Greg

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Jason Montague
To Go In Harm's Way
Window Dipper/Window Electrical Glitches

Tiny,
If you want to recreate the "half mast" (in case you need to show your dealer), open your door and then roll the window down and back up and chances are it will hit the top and bounce back down again. Dropped mine off last night and it hasn't been worked on yet, but they told me they're opening a PUMA case with it, so I'll post an update when I have one...
Greg
Greg,you're a gentleman and a schollar for pursuing this issue.We're all eyes and watching.Now,please don't laugh too hard but, what is a PUMA case?I'm fairly sure that it is not a container for a mountain lion but,I don't know what it is? Thankyou Jason Montague

Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 AM
GregO
4th Gear
puma

Originally Posted by Jason Montague
Greg,you're a gentleman and a schollar for pursuing this issue.We're all eyes and watching.Now,please don't laugh too hard but, what is a PUMA case?I'm fairly sure that it is not a container for a mountain lion but,I don't know what it is? Thankyou Jason Montague
Jason,
There are several posts regarding PUMA cases. It's still odd to me, but appears to be something of an Instant Messenger with MINI headquarters. What I heard was the technician(s) working on the car will chat (texting) while troubleshooting the vehicle, kind of like the astronauts troubleshooting the Apollo-13 reentry procedures with Houston (hopefully, you saw the movie).
Greg

Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Welp, car is back from the dealer and looking over the paperwork, the dealer "found the FRM in need of program update per SIM510108 programmed the FRM and set the windows".

That's all great, but...that's exactly what they did 3 weeks ago (same program and all). hat's consistent with what the dealer told me before taking the car back- that is the latest program and it "should work".
I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath. Oi.

Greg

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Jason Montague
To Go In Harm's Way
Welp, car is back from the dealer and looking over the paperwork, the dealer "found the FRM in need of program update per SIM510108 programmed the FRM and set the windows".

That's all great, but...that's exactly what they did 3 weeks ago (same program and all). hat's consistent with what the dealer told me before taking the car back- that is the latest program and it "should work".

Greg

Thanks Greg for the PUMA explanation,I now get the idea.We'll be waiting to see how it goes with your MINI since the current fix(that's certainly a double entender).Good luck and a MINI prayer said for you and your MINI. Jason Montague

Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear

Greg

so the windows are cooperating at the moment? keep us updated.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 AM
TinyElvis
Neutral

Greg
Was this this fix for the dipper or the up-and-back-down-halfway issue?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear

Thanks.

software update

Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Thanks.
For both. And yes, all is working today, but if either or both fail, I will post when that happens.

Greg

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
doh! I really need to stop speed reading. I thought he asked "what" was the fix..

:(

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
my passenger side stopped 'dipping' today..and also would go to 1/2 mast if i tried the auto up.

have an 830 Monday to reflash...we'll see :(

Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
djdnz
1st Gear
Hi guys, my girlfriend is currently having this problem with her driver side window on her 09 MC. The window will not dip when the door is opened, and when you close the door is does not go up either. She has also run into the problem several times where she has the window down, hits the toggle for it to go up and when it hits the top it goes back down to about the middle position. I don't believe that this is purely due on the window motor or sensor or even the ECU, I believe this has to do with the seals on the window becoming deformed. A deformed window seal that is not allowing the glass to fit properly in its designed groove will tell the window sensor that there is a foreign object in the way of the window, hence not allowing it to auto up and dip properly.

With the cold weather, and the constant up and down motion that is caused by the dipping feature on the car, I believe it has caused her window seals to become distorted. You can see on her car (I will take a picture sometime this week if I can) that the seal is not allowing the window to go in the desired groove, as a part of the seal is, for lack of better words, smushed - and continues to get smushed every time the window goes up. I've noticed ice building up in her door sills, which tells me the window is not only missing the dipping feature, but it also means that the window is allowing water to get in.

Would you guys do me a favour and have a look at your door seals along the entire length where the glass meets the body and post whether you see any deformations in the seal?

Thanks!
-Dave

Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
^i see no deformation, however that's not intended to be a fully watertight seal, at least i'm pretty sure. it's meant to stop 75%, but water is allowed to go past that "seal". This can be seen by the drains that they have installed in the bottom of the door.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
update on my 09. reflash fixed it... hope for good

Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
i'll be going in on thursday or friday, i'm hoping it fixes my probelm...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
TinyElvis
Neutral
My driver window has not done the up-down-halfway thing every since I went through the "reset" motions I described in my follow-up post. The dipper still does not dip but that's not important enough for me to schedule a service appt.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by djdnz
Hi guys, my girlfriend is currently having this problem with her driver side window on her 09 MC. The window will not dip when the door is opened, and when you close the door is does not go up either. She has also run into the problem several times where she has the window down, hits the toggle for it to go up and when it hits the top it goes back down to about the middle position. I don't believe that this is purely due on the window motor or sensor or even the ECU, I believe this has to do with the seals on the window becoming deformed. A deformed window seal that is not allowing the glass to fit properly in its designed groove will tell the window sensor that there is a foreign object in the way of the window, hence not allowing it to auto up and dip properly.

With the cold weather, and the constant up and down motion that is caused by the dipping feature on the car, I believe it has caused her window seals to become distorted. You can see on her car (I will take a picture sometime this week if I can) that the seal is not allowing the window to go in the desired groove, as a part of the seal is, for lack of better words, smushed - and continues to get smushed every time the window goes up. I've noticed ice building up in her door sills, which tells me the window is not only missing the dipping feature, but it also means that the window is allowing water to get in.

Would you guys do me a favour and have a look at your door seals along the entire length where the glass meets the body and post whether you see any deformations in the seal?

Thanks!
-Dave
Hey Dave,
I suspected the same thing as you regarding the door seal. I found a 4-6" long deformation along the upper U groove and during my second window reprogramming, showed the deformation to the dealer and asked that they replace the seal. Don't know if plays any roll, but like I said, is suspect.
Greg

Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
My driver window has not done the up-down-halfway thing every since I went through the "reset" motions I described in my follow-up post. The dipper still does not dip but that's not important enough for me to schedule a service appt.
When you held the window toggle up, i'm sure it went up, but then didn't it drop down 1/4" or so? What did you do then?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
TinyElvis
Neutral
Originally Posted by dwf137
When you held the window toggle up, i'm sure it went up, but then didn't it drop down 1/4" or so? What did you do then?
Hi.

Good question.

I went down first and continued holding the switch for about 10-15 seconds and then up and held for 10-15 seconds.

It (the halfway-down issue) has not been a problem since then.

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper