Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This window dipper problem is looking to be tied to the PW motors, as one member had the motor changed and that has (thusfar) solved the problem. The Foot well module, and reinitialization, as well as reprogramming have not worked to solve this problem, as many of us have had that "fix" and are seeing window dipper/operation failures again. I would not be surprised if MINI does a TSB or Service Recall to replace PW motors in the near future....

I had an '01 Dodge Dakota with the famous premature upper ball joint failure and Dodge denied the problem until it snowballed--then did a recall. They did, however, change the ball joints out and re-align my truck for N/C, 9 months prior to the recall. Said something about it being a "good will" service by DaimlerChrysler...funny, eh...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 AM
jsargevt
3rd Gear
Dipper problem on drivers door here too. Waiting it out for a little bit so they replace what is actually broken since the dealership is 90+ miles away. I DO NOT want to go more than once to get this fixed.

Keep the postings coming so I know if they establish a TSB on this....

Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Mine just started doing this on the DS side of the car. Tried all the workarounds just a minute ago and then nothing changed. Called MINI here in ABQ and asked them what was the problem, they stated they will try the "initialization" in a few when I go there in a little bit, but from the sounds of it, it wont fix much. Waste of gas IMO.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TChezem
This window dipper problem is looking to be tied to the PW motors, as one member had the motor changed and that has (thusfar) solved the problem. The Foot well module, and reinitialization, as well as reprogramming have not worked to solve this problem, as many of us have had that "fix" and are seeing window dipper/operation failures again. I would not be surprised if MINI does a TSB or Service Recall to replace PW motors in the near future....

I had an '01 Dodge Dakota with the famous premature upper ball joint failure and Dodge denied the problem until it snowballed--then did a recall. They did, however, change the ball joints out and re-align my truck for N/C, 9 months prior to the recall. Said something about it being a "good will" service by DaimlerChrysler...funny, eh...
my SA says it's not the motor. footwell module and reprogramming needed.

then again my car is there for the 2nd time for this.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I believe your SA is out to lunch. As I have stated, my car has been reprogrammed, reinitialized, had the foot well module changed out...all unsuccessful repair attempts. My drivers window's bouncing again and the dipper function is dead, 6 days after the FW module was replaced. One poster, had the PW motor changed out, and has been "error" free on the window operations since before Christmas....I am no engineer, but believe the pinch sensor (load/amperage draw activated) is on the PW motor, and there is a bad batch of motors? Who knows? We know MINI USA does not know quite yet (but is working on a solid solution), as they are "throwing" parts at these cars...in an attempt to fix the problem.

Last edited by TChezem; 01-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
do you think the pinch problem with the "auto up - half down" on the windows is the same issue as the "not dropping 1/4 inch when opening the door"

Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Just took my car to the dealer today to get the drivers window re-initialized, for the 6th time. My SA told me "Run the windows up and down once a day, to keep window position the memory fresh." The engineers are telling them that the window position memory is being lost, after a period of non use. (I think the bounce "load" causes the memory loss not the non use.) They did acknowledge that they are working on a permanent cure (I see a recall campaign in the crystal ball...) for this problem which is rapidly spreading among '08 MINIS with the auto up programming. The Ugly and Bad news is they gave me an expected/projected fix time of Sepetmber '09.....What!

The running the window up and down and holding the switch for 10 seconds at top and bottom did sucessfully reset my passenger door, but would not work on the "bouncing" drivers window, hence my 1 hour trip to Mr. Dealer today.

I am suspect that when the drivers window "bounces", it causes a load on the memory circuit, which erases the window position memory. There is also most likely a "slow drain" some where in the circuitry controlling the window dipper and auto up/auto down features which would also "wipe" out window position memory if the windows are not used frequently???. We'll see....

I volunteered my car to have the PW Motor(s) changed out, as a guinea pig, trial and error test to see if the bounce causes the errors. I hope they do that. It's ridiculous that we have to run our windows up and down daily, to "keep" the windows memory intact....

In short---MINI USA is very well aware of the ever growing window dipper failures, and working (so I am told) on a resolution to the defect. Once again proving the true meaning of PUMA (Problem Unknown Maybe Another day...).

If anyone gets their car fixed please post notes, so we can all find a cure for the window issues. Good luck on this problem....

Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
In response to your question, yes the bounce is tied to the dipper failing on my car. The last three failures happen as such...all is working well, then I auto down the drivers window, auto up the drivers window....it bounces to 1/2 mast and bingo! the dippers (window position memory) is wiped out and the drivers window is in the "bounce mode." I really believe the problem is also tied to the PW motor pinch/resistance sensors, absolutely. There's more than just reprogramming to be done....

Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Dr. J
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my 08 Clubman's passenger window started the fruityness today. I've had auto-dipping issues in the past on the driver's window, which were fixed with one of the numerous reset "fixes" however the new issue is unlike the previous one.

I rarely use the windows - I rolled down the passenger window to talk to someone then when I drove off, I tried auto-upping the window. It auto-upped, but then dropped down maybe 1/4" or so - enough to let air in. After retrying it several times I just held the switch "up", which shut the window completely until I could get off the highway. Once stopped, I tried the window "reset" tricks a few times to no avail. Now, however, auto-down works but auto up will close the window fully then it will retract (open) about halfway, as if the choke sensor was tripped. Holding the switch "closed" will close the window, so fortunately I can at least keep the window closed. The auto-dip feature for opening the door does not work however.

I'll try futzing with the controls again tomorrow and see what I can do.

I'm wondering if the choke sensor (e.g. so you don't get your arm or neck caught in a closing window) is really just an ammeter on the motor - high motor load = resistance = possibly something stuck in the window, but it could also be other things such as a dying motor, which could explain why replacing the motors (or rebuilding them) fixes the issue, at least temporarily.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Had trouble with both windows right before christmas, possibly because of ice and snow. Eventually the drivers window started working normally, including dip and auto-up, but the passenger's window still isn't quite right. If you hold the switch up, it'll bounce down about an inch at the top. Then holding it up again will close if fully. I'm not sure if I've held the switch in the down position as well as up when trying the old reset routine, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Haven't talked to the dealer about it yet; will they give me any trouble about having replaced the front speakers? No other issues at all in 15k miles!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 AM
cabwy
6th Gear
Hi everyone!! I guess I am going to join this little group of wacky window owners...

Mine DS window likes to do that up and down bouncing thing. I just went out and tried the resetting. Let's see how that works before I call the SA....

sigh, and my MINI is an '09 Clubman

Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Still no luck on the passenger's side, but the driver's did start working normally all by itself

Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 AM
mntcooper
1st Gear
Unfortunately I just experienced this problem last night on the driver side window. I have a call into the dealer to see if they recognized the problem and if they have a fix.

I will keep you posted.

By the way, this site is great to see if others have they same type of issues and what or how to explain it to the dealers so they can track these issues as a recurring problems instead of one off issues.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I too have had the windows re-initialized three times now. A week before the last two times the window lost it is memory (and started the "bounce") I received the yellow dash window warning icon just once. The car was at the dealer last week for this again, and this morning I received the window error icon again!!!! Ugh...Last week they put a supposedly brand new software release on the car. My windows are still working good for the moment. All I can say is that I am glad my dealer seems very good to deal with my Cooper's issues.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My dealership reccomended runing the windows up and down once daily, to help the widows retain their memory. This worked for a week, than I had to have the drivers window reinitialized....the dipper function seems to be working more normally, as tempatures are getting more sping like (45 to 50). Anyone in the South, warmer states having widow dipper and programming issues? As for now, my windows have worked for about 3 weeks since being reinitialized, although the dip position seems to be randomized. I sure hope the problem with the sensors, software, or hardware is located soon; I am tiring of the windows issues....

Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by TChezem
My dealership reccomended runing the windows up and down once daily, to help the widows retain their memory. ...
That's ridiculous. My 2008 MC had the windows "fixed" a few weeks ago. And yesterday, the driver's side doesn't work properly again. Thanks MINI! POS.
Greg

Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
This morning my window started to drop down after going up and I was fast enough to catch it and put it back up by holding the switch up before it reached the halfway point and it seems to be working....so maybe that could be helpful.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 AM
m25443
1st Gear
I'm now a member of the "auto up will close the window fully then it will retract (open) about halfway" club. My Mini was purchase on 4/30/2008. It's raining outside right now so I am reluctant to mess with it.

As a stop gap until I get to the dealer (180 miles away) I let the window "auto-up" and right as it hit the top I bumped the switch again and it stopped fully up, or very close to fully up.

Thought I'd let everyone know of yet another example of the problem.

Sounds like the power window motor is the answer, but not what the dealers want to replace. Will be interesting to see if my dealer in St. Louis can fix it right the first time, and in 1 day.

Mike

Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
ugggh..

same issue here.

gona go try to "reset" the system i guess.

you can put the window fully up without the "pinch" feature though. It's in the manual.

Hold the toggle to put the window up and keep holding. The window will drop 1/4". Let go and immediatley hit the toggle back up. The window will close w/o the pinch function.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
none of the "resets" that I have found work.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
m25443
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dwf137
you can put the window fully up without the "pinch" feature though. It's in the manual.

Hold the toggle to put the window up and keep holding. The window will drop 1/4". Let go and immediatley hit the toggle back up. The window will close w/o the pinch function.
That doesn't seem to work for me. As soon as it hits the top it goes to halfway.

Mike

Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Jason Montague
To Go In Harm's Way
Electronic window glitches

In Mar or Apr08 I took Mini Margi in to the dealer as the windows were acting as y'all describe above.Someone screwed up and reprogramed my JCW program with a MCS program and my car was completely disabled for 2 wks.Finally,BMW Germany sent to Mini UK who sent to Mini USA who sent to my dealership a new JCW computer program.The windows still screw up but I'll never complain again.Next time they'll probably burn up the entire electrical system and I'll never get my car back. Jason Montague

Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by dwf137
none of the "resets" that I have found work.
Interesting because when I told my dealer the reprogramming didn't take after 3 weeks, they acted surprised b/c they had only heard of 4 recurrences (none at their dealership = MINI of Sterling). I suspect that's total BS from what I've read and heard, especially after one MA commented that they wished "MINIUSA would come up with a permanent fix for this..."
Greg

Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg, i was about to call MINI of sterling.

Add me to the list for the passenger door. Auto up bounces down to half way. Holding up sometimes works, sometimes it doesnt. No dash light, but i hear a repetitve click click click if i hold the toggle up. Sometimes it will close fully then go down to a 1/4 as if i opened the door.

After reading this post, i am not sure what to do. I live 45 minutes from the dealer and i dont want to have to keep taking the car back..

:(

Old 02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by MINIspud
Greg, i was about to call MINI of sterling.

Add me to the list for the passenger door. Auto up bounces down to half way. Holding up sometimes works, sometimes it doesnt. No dash light, but i hear a repetitve click click click if i hold the toggle up. Sometimes it will close fully then go down to a 1/4 as if i opened the door.

After reading this post, i am not sure what to do. I live 45 minutes from the dealer and i dont want to have to keep taking the car back..

:(
Alex,

Sorry to hear that, given your's is several months newer than mine. I've got a second appointment early this week, but I expect it will only last a few weeks again at best. I'm still composing my lemon law letter for other problems, but for which this newer problem will only be added.

I'd recommend you call MoS service manager Christal Waddy and giver her your scenario. For a different problem, she offered to send a "mobile technician"; that may not be an option for yours, but given your travel distance, it's worth a try. I've just been pushing on the top of my window when closing the door so it doesn't get hung up.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Greg

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper