Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivers door window dipper

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started counting when the window hit the bottom (or top).

It worked for one problem, but not the second. I think the problem with it now, is it hits the top, and then goes down an inch or so. So it can't really tell where the top is because it thinks something got in the way. So there must be some way to over ride the pinch sensor stuff...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
corningjeff
1st Gear
I remember my MA demonstrating an auto-retract feature with the sunroof. If it detected something in the way while closing (like a hand), it would retract to avoid an otherwise painful event. I assume it used a sensor that monitored the sunroof motor (maybe current draw?). I wonder if this "dipper" problem is similar? Maybe the window motor loses its home position, then retracts once it hits the door seal? Sorry, it's the engineer in me that wants to troubleshoot! But I also would love to hear of a home solution, given the closest dealer is 2 hours away.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Psychout
1st Gear
Guys - I had this problem finally fixed (after 2 different attempts from 2 different dealers). I will get the service print out tomorrow and post it here. The problem has been fixed 100% so far.

I'm also going to be making a formal complaint to BMW Group Canada in regards to the first dealer just blowing the issue off, as they didn't do a complete diagnosis and I was totally ignored after several phone calls and emails after the initial diagnosis.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Hi corningjeff.

Yes it has to do with the pinch sensor. The window does hit the top, and trips the sensor so it opens back up again (thinking something is there). So what we need to figure out is how it lost the 'endpoint' settings and how to reset them ourselves.

Psychout, that is great it has been fixed. Try and get as much info as you can from the dealer so the rest of us can figure this out!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Well, it broke again (5 times now)....on January 7th, 2009 the passenger window quit dipping when the door is opened or shut. The "reinitialization" done by the dealer worked from Dec 23, 08 to Jan 7, 2009...Wow! two weeks without a window dipper issue! This window issue is really irritating me. I'll take it to the dealer to get the FRM (Foot Well Module) replaced, and have the car reprogrammed, again....!!!!! I had expected a better MINI with the BMW influence, that's certainly not happening. This will be the 5th trip to the dealer for the same, unresolved problem.....We'll see how it goes after the Foot Well Module is changed out. And to top it off, our MINI dealer/BMW dealer only provides loaner cars to BMW customers, so I am stuck borrowing rides from my co-workers for another 1 to 2 days....I guess when you buy a MINI, you get MINI service...????

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 AM
spankybeaz
Neutral
i had the same problem with the drivers window. because it wouldnt dip, the window ended up hitting the frame a few times when i closed the door. i thought i almost broke the window. I took it in to the dealer and after two visits the fixed it. They changed the controller and the motor. My dad is also having the problem with the same window. must be a 09 problem

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 AM
heli_guy
2nd Gear
Nope, not an 09 problem. Mine is one of the First '08s.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
I have replied in all the other window problem threads (I even started one) and I'll reply here too. IF you are still having problems, even after the re-program, demand a new motor. My dealer has been great to work with. My first problem was that the window stopped dipping. When I fooled around with it, I triggered some sensor and then the stupid window didn't want to roll up. It would roll up, hit the top, then roll back down. I brought it in, they re-programed it that afternoon, brought it home. It worked for 2 days then the same series of events happened. Brought it in again, they kept it overnight to re-program with a new program MINI sent out (apparently there were a ton of customers in that SAME week with the same problem). Brought it home, it worked for 2 days and then everything went wrong all over again. I brought it in a third time and my dealer contacted MINI and they shipped out some new and improved motor that was said to fix the problem. The motor took a few days to get in but they put it in, kept it 2 more days to test out and its been fine ever since. I've had it back almost a month without any problems.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
My driver's window started misbehaving Dec 30: bounced back down halfway rather than staying closed... I got it to stay closed, eventually figuring out a process: from full open, brief "up" touch to toggle, as in one-touch close, and then hit and hold the toggle when the window reaches its closed position, before it has a chance to bounce back down. The window won't "dip" on opening the door, but it doesn't hit the frame, and it doesn't leak.

Took to dealer 1/8, and after inspecting, their first response was to order a new window motor. I'll have to go back when the part is in, but it's close for me, and they will give me a loaner. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come, that MINI is beginning to recognize the "re-initializing" route is going to cost them more in the long run, because it isn't a permanent solution?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Bad news..... I Took the Clubman in on Friday the 9th to have the Foot Well Module changed, as after two weeks my window dipper went out for the 6th time......

The dealership put in the new foot well module. My car will not recognize the new FWM. The dealer takes out the new FWM and puts the old FWM, and downloads the "old" program for my car. Now my car is completely DOA and out of service; it will not accept the old program, the new FWM, and can't be restored to operational either now. My Clubman is completely out of service!!!! Thank you MINI USA.

Now I have (well the dealership has it) a car that will not run and is undriveable. Amazingly the BMW/MINI dealer gives their BMW customers an X5 as a loaner when their cars are in for an "out of service issue" as this. However, the MINI side of the dealership does not do loaners, but covers a "rental" for such events....I am now driving a KIA Spectra, until the PUMA crew can tell the dealership how to fix my car and I can get my MINI back.....

MINI USA, and the dealerships have not a clue as to how to fix the Window Dipper issue, and my local SA admits there are numerous other problems with this window issue locally......

Hopefully I'll get my car back in a day or two...??? I'll post another update, after I get the car back.....good luck to all with the window dipper issues. I will post what the PUMA case brings up on my MINI, and what MINI USA does to attempt to solve the problem. Strange thing here..... a PUMA case to fix a PUMA case, now how's that work?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
JAXSNGRL, thanks for your notes on this. It would not surprise me if MINI USA replaces both of my window motors, assuming they can get my car operational again...??

Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My car went in on 1/9 (see my prior post in this thread) I got it back on 1/17...the dealer replaced the foot well module at the advice of the PUMA group, and had to send the ECU to Corporate offices in NJ for programming, as the local dealer could not get the ECU to recognize the new FWM.

My local dealer tells me they have done this (replaced the FWM) on 2 other cars, and it has cured the problem...just a bad batch of foot well modules? I expect this will be my last trip to the dealer for the window dipper issue; time will tell. I will post again, after a month of reliable window dipper operation.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

2008 MC - Dropped mine off today. Several weeks ago, the passenger side window got stuck on autodown (window icon alert!), then last night the driver's side window stopped dipping and autoup crapped out; like others, when I close the window, it autodrops to half-mast. Hoping for a permanent fix...
Greg

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2008 Clubman driver's window stopped dipping about a week ago. I came online here to see if there's something I can do to reset - guess it's time to take it to the Dealer.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
After my dealer visit 2 weeks ago (see post above), took the car in yesterday; upon further review (so they say), the window motor was not replaced. Rather, there was a software update implemented. So far the window behaves as it should.

I expected a need to reset some personal preferences, but it appears the only one that got deleted was my auto-lock on driving away. Radio stations, signals etc all as I left them.

Worst part was I had to drive Kia Spectra (shudder), as all the dealer loaners were out. Hope this fix is durable!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 AM
GregO
4th Gear
window dipper

Originally Posted by Alto Clef
After my dealer visit 2 weeks ago (see post above), took the car in yesterday; upon further review (so they say), the window motor was not replaced. Rather, there was a software update implemented. So far the window behaves as it should.

I expected a need to reset some personal preferences, but it appears the only one that got deleted was my auto-lock on driving away. Radio stations, signals etc all as I left them.

Worst part was I had to drive Kia Spectra (shudder), as all the dealer loaners were out. Hope this fix is durable!
Interesting b/c mine was "reinitialized" and windows now work, but I lost all presets (lights, locks, radio, etc.)
Greg

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear
My windows go up and down whenever they decide to, the dealer reinitialized but it's still a problem. They had the car for two days and said it's no issue? Go figure.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
This is not fun.....got my Clubman back on 1/17/09, after the foot well module was replaced and the ECU was sent to NJ for a "reprogramming." The windows worked great for 6 days, now they are bewitched again, neither window dips when you open and shut the doors, and the drivers window does the up and bounce down to 1/2 mast when you put it up. I am done with the dealership and will now be contacting MINI USA.

6 trips to the dealership, problem unresolved.....reinitialization does not work, a new foot well module does not work, I am no confident in MINI USAs efforts to solve the problem, and am pursuing options such as a replacement MINI, but would I be getting the same set of problems? My car was built in early '08, perhaps this is a batch problem?

The engine, transmission, interior and fit and finish are great (so far with 8k on the ODO), in fact almost all aspects of the car get a 9.5 on the 10 scale, except the windows controller software ...It gets a -10...6 trips to the dealer and the same problem is still there....this is beyond frustrating.

If you are experiencing window dipper issues, call MINI USA at (866) 275-6464, ask for customer service. Let's be sure MINI USA is aware of the multitude of widely known window operation failures. These cars are fun, fast, and based on my experience mechanically solid....It's the electronics that have cursed them....

Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
It looks like this problem is limited to the '08s from the posts I see....anyone with an '09 having the "window dipper failures?"

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Psychout
Guys - I had this problem finally fixed (after 2 different attempts from 2 different dealers). I will get the service print out tomorrow and post it here. The problem has been fixed 100% so far.

I'm also going to be making a formal complaint to BMW Group Canada in regards to the first dealer just blowing the issue off, as they didn't do a complete diagnosis and I was totally ignored after several phone calls and emails after the initial diagnosis.
So what was the fix? PW Motors? Foot Well Module? Reprogramming or something else? I'd love to know, as the engineers (PUMA) has tried about everything on my car, except for replacing the PW motors and the problem still persists.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
OK, this is weird; after the software update last week, my window is still operating as it should, but I noticed today Bluetooth no longer works...

Anyone else have this experience? It may be completely unrelated, but the service rep who called me back late today didn't have any answers. Usual SA was sick today. Stay tuned.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
X5JR
2nd Gear
Window Malfunction

Within two weeks of purchasing my MINI, the dipping of my passenger window started to go down about 1 inch, but would not return to full close when door was closed. I call the Service Dept, they advised me to hold down the switch for 10 seconds at open and hold for 10 seconds at close. That fixed it, have not had it happen again in 5 months

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
My drivers window does exactly what Greg O's does, when you auto up in bounces back down and remains 1/2 open, and once this happens the dippers on both door fail immediately thereafter. The local dealer at the advice of MINI USA (Corporate) has reinitalized, updated my programming, and changed out the foot well module...it works for about 5 to 10 days after the "fix" and then fails out again each time. Aside from changing the PW Motors out, has anyone else heard of any other "cures" for this problem?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I was working fine after having footwell module replaced and software updated (lost radio stations etc but now the RDS on radio works) but now I'm back to the windows not dipping when the door opens....so when I close the door the window is outside of the track...I have to lower it and re-raise it to get it to seal...if it is going to snow outside (like tonight here) I have to push the door closed by the handle (extremely slow) so that I can ensure it goes into the track....

but rarely do I get the auto-up bounce halfway back down issue....but it did happen today....

I'm due to go in tomorrow to hopefully get this fixed (again)

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 AM
esonwood
1st Gear
My mini has the window dipper problem on the drivers side its a november 08 model just booked it in to my local dealer to sort out

Quick Reply: Drivers door window dipper