Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Help! New tire vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
fm.illuminatus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! New tire vibration!

Hello, I just replaced my OEM runflats with these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=H

(if the link doesn't work, they are: Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid, non-runflat, 205/45R17, 84V)

I had them done at Brecht Mini. I am now having a problem. Either all four (there is some slight steering vibration) or the back two tires (yet most of vibration feels like it's coming from the back) are vibrating at highway speeds. I've driven about 100 miles on the tires now, and they vibrate on all surfaces... the higher the speed the more pronounced the vibration becomes. The vibration starts around 50-60 mph.

What could be causing this?? Did the dealer screw up the install? Are the tires defective? The dealer left the stickers on the tires when they installed them, could that have anything to do with it? It's bad enough that my fiancee can't ride in the car without getting car sick.

Also, I'm afraid if I take the car back to the dealer they would just blame the tires (because I didn't buy them from them) and not make a serious effort to diagnose or fix the problem.

This problem has me really frustrated if anyone could help that I would really appreciate it!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Sounds like they didn't balance them correctly. Take it back, if they installed them they should stand behind their installation. When they balanced the tires they should have seen the vibration........

Old 11-02-2008, 05:45 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're really curious, you can try swapping the front and rear wheels. see if the problem goes away. that can help narrow down the problem. unless all wheels have the problem. i would just take it back to the dealer since they're the ones you paid your good money to.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Raikkonen
1st Gear
New Tires Vibration

Hi I also replaced my Goodyear run flat tires with new wheels and snows Bridgestone WS-60 and 15" wheels. I to have a vibration - seems to come from rear, but not totally sure. Had the tires re-balanced still had the vibration, checked tire pressure and adjusted. Again starts at 50MPH I did read that the tire and wheel run out may be an issue but not sure if Town Fair will know or have equipment to check run out. This is frustrating as the summer 16" tires are great. but cannot use them for about 4 more months. After checking I did find this info:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-...ance-12803.pdf

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Just because a shop spins the tires on a balancing machine it doesn't mean that the operator is skilled in the art. Good tire balancing is rare but can be found by talking to performance drivers in your area. Call Brian Goodwin and ask for a recommendation.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Get RoadForce Balance. I use an installer with the Hunter GSP9700 RoadForce balancer with StaightTrac. RoadForce is also highly recommended by Porsche and Ferrari.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the professionaly balanced and mounted.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Speed-sensitive vibration=balancing problem.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
This is unlikely to apply to the OP, but when I lived in Colorado, most of the roads were county-maintained gravel roads. They got pretty muddy after a rain and several times I had vibrations in the steering (didn't have a MINI then, by the way) when I got on paved roads.

Turned out that mud (or sometimes packed snow) had gotten on the inner side of one or more wheels in an uneven pattern and thrown the wheel out of balance. My first step was to spray wash the inside of the wheels...this (almost) always seemed to cure the problem.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I just went with ROTA wheels and 16" whhels on my MINI, and have a similar slight wheel vibration. My wheels are currently "Static" spin balanced with weights in one position only on the inside center on the wheels. I am going to have the wheels "Dynamically" balanced with weights in the inside center of the wheel and on the inside lip of the wheels. This balancing process is supposed to eliminate both up and down as well as side to side vibration. My vibration on the wheels is minimal and some times almost impercebtable, but it is there. As one other poster said, for the very best balance, get a RoadForce balance on the wheels/tires. It's expensive, but when done right makes the ride smooth as glass. I am going to try the Dynamic 2 position spin balancing first on my wheels....good luck!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Maybe the weights on each rim needs to be changed to accommodate the new tires

Old 04-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Ken G.
4th Gear
Why be afraid of Brecht? If they installed them, they need to stand behind the workmanship of the installation, which includes proper balancing. Besides, they had their chance to disagree with your choice of tires when you first brought them into the shop for installation. Since they didn't say anything during the installation, they can't say anything about the tires now.