MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Trunk Wont Stay Closed! What gives?!

I own an '03 MC and have had few problems until now. My trunk will not stay shut, even if the door is locked. I can lift the hatch open without pushing the button under the handle.

As you could imagine, this a bit of a problem since it opens a little while on the freeway as I found out the hard way.

When I push the latch button on the handle, I can hear a clicking near the latch. The locking mechanism seems isn't catching the hatch lid. Maybe its a broken spring, or maybe just a fuse or something.

Anyone have experience or suggestions?

'06 Electric Blue/W R53 } '04 Indie Blue/W R53 } '03 Indie Blue/IB Justa R50 (retired)
JCW Exhaust // Alta CAI // M7 Strut Re-Inforcement Plates ---> more mods on the way...
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
There is a dealer warranty fix for this. They replace the catch. Check with your dealer to see if it was done.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:27 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
my warranty expired long ago... is this still covered?

'06 Electric Blue/W R53 } '04 Indie Blue/W R53 } '03 Indie Blue/IB Justa R50 (retired)
JCW Exhaust // Alta CAI // M7 Strut Re-Inforcement Plates ---> more mods on the way...
Old 10-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D3m0N Send a message via MSN to D3m0N Send a message via Yahoo to D3m0N
Gallery
mine I removed the boot handle cleaned the contact and WD-40'd it to repel water no problems since that
Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Stop calling your "boot" a trunk and it might listen

Kidding...actually I never call mine a Boot either. I think I sound silly doing that.

2006 MCS HB/W / LSD / Sport / Convenience // Custom Stripes, Tint, and Trim / JCW Exhaust / Alta CAI and driving lights / 15% pulley / M7 SRPs /
H-Sport springs & 19mm RSB / GBMINI Auto Up with "Oogah" horn / Aero Grill / Rota Subzero Wheels / Custom Wet Okoles / Joey Mod
Old 10-14-2008, 05:19 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin MINI View Post
Stop calling your "boot" a trunk and it might listen

Kidding...actually I never call mine a Boot either. I think I sound silly doing that.
Actually here in hawaii it'd be da-boot, brah.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Functioning Lunatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Garage
This happened to me a while back. The solenoid was bad and I had to replace the mechanism.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
I took the handle apart and "cleaned" it the best I could. I didn't really see any contacts to clean. Its still wont close... Dealership quote is $200 :(

Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Took it to Honolulu Mini... It was an emergency cable (which opens your trunk) in case of an emergency. It was broken, and stuck in the open position. I opted to leave it broken, and the analysis cost $148... At least I got a car wash and valuable time to check out the clubman.

The cable was to avoid "double locking" yourself in the car. I attempted to do so, and couldn't. Service staff said if your battery goes out, its your only way to get out of your mini. Isn't the inside door handle mechanical and not electrical? Works for me...

Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Functioning Lunatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Garage
With the battery down, you can still use the door, but the window won't go down the little bit it needs to close again. Unless you bend the top of the window manually inward to acount for this gap.

On a side note, my car never came with an emergency release.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
yeah... I keep testing the "double lock"... I cant see how the hell you can lock yourself in a mini in an emergency. I think the service woman didn;t know what she was talking about. I almost let them charge me 350 to fix it, rather than 148 to figure out the problem and move the "broken" safety wire".

Old 10-15-2008, 09:10 PM