Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Light trifecta: ABS, DSC, tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trifecta Fix: Easy Step by Step instructions...

As I mentioned earlier, I did the driver's side first (supposed to be the most common side to go bad), so I'll show it. This job was EXTREMELY easy. In fact, my dominant arm is broken, so I did the entire thing with a cast. I think anybody can do it... Nobody should have to pay a mechanic more than $50 in labor to do this.
First,

- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely.

- Remove the wheel (don't judge me on cleanliness of the car. It's the middle of winter here and I do drive my car)

- I then removed the entire inner plastic wheel shroud, although I've heard it's possible to do this job without removing the entire thing. As you can see, by removing the whole shroud you have a pretty open view of the sensor (which is about 18" long):

- Clip the tie wrap that is holding the BLUE sensor plug to the sub-frame and then unplug it. You can insert a new tie wrap right now, if you think you might forget later.

- Gently pull the wire out of the three retaining clips. One of them is hidden from view on the pic above (just behind the red sheet metal). If you pull down gently on the wire, it will come out. You can see that grommet in the pic below if you look where the wire is hanging down from behind the red sheet metal. The wire can then be removed from the other two retaining clips (one on sub-frame and one on the MacPherson Strut) by gently pushing a small flat blade screw driver between the wire grommet and the clip and prying it out, as shown below:

- The wire should now be free from all of the retaining clips as shown:

- Before proceeding to the next step, clean the top of the wheel bearing housing. Remove as much debris as possible to decrease the chances of dirt falling down into the sensor hole once the sensor is removed.

- Next, working at the top of the wheel bearing housing, remove the wheel speed sensor mounting screw. The first pic below, shows using an allen wrench to get to the screw. The second is a better view of the top of the wheel bearing housing and the screw itself.

- After removing the screw, gently pull straight up on the sensor to remove it from the wheel bearing housing.

- Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting pad and hole (on top of the wheel bearing housing). Apply a coating of grease or anti-seize compound.

- Installation is reverse of removal. A new tie wrap can be inserted into the retaining clip that holds the blue plug (orange in the pic below):

- Per Bentley manual, the screw that holds the wheel speed sensor to the wheel bearing housing is torqued to 8Nm (6 ft-lb)

- Prior to reinstalling the inner plastic wheel shroud, you might be able to convince one of your kids to come down and clean it for you...

Anyway, that's the write up. If nothing else, I hope it shows you just how easy this job is, so you'll do it yourself instead of paying somebody.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for doing a great how to for others to use. Well done!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
angrydave
2nd Gear
thanks for the walk-through anitan1. i'm about to go do this on mine.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious how do know which sensor is bad? It seems from majority of threads its the left side to go bad first. I'll check that out first. I'm thinking its a design flaw that the wire rubs and wears through........or that just me?

Last edited by Rossii; 05-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 PM
anitan1
3rd Gear
It's usually the drivers side, but in my case it was the passengers side. I had bought both, because I wanted to make sure I killed the problem the first time. I did the drivers side first and it didn't fix the problem. As soon as I got the passengers side wheel off, I could see that the cable on the sensor was clearly damaged. And as soon as I replaced it, it worked fine. If you can afford, I suggest just buying both and doing it yourself. The money you save by doing it yourself will more than pay for the extra sensor you bought.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
angrydave
2nd Gear
A good enough OBDII scanner should tell you which one is bad. I found a good deal on them, so I went ahead and replaced both of my front sensors, like anitan1 suggested. Also, check your fuses. I think fuse F33 is the one that may blow out when the trifecta makes an appearance.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Originally Posted by angrydave
A good enough OBDII scanner should tell you which one is bad. I found a good deal on them, so I went ahead and replaced both of my front sensors, like anitan1 suggested. Also, check your fuses. I think fuse F33 is the one that may blow out when the trifecta makes an appearance.
Just curious are the sensors side specific?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 PM
angrydave
2nd Gear
Not side-specific, but front/rear specific.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Angrydave is right. And by the way, it's not always because the cable rubs and wears through (although it was in my case). I think sometimes the sensor itself becomes defective or corroded. If you research the topic deep enough (there are several threads that deal with the subject, although this thread is the best one), you'll find that guys have tried to remove the sensor and clean it. The problem may go away briefly, but it comes back.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Act_04
4th Gear
I'm not sure re-inforcement is needed, but the same thing happened to me. Passenger side (left-hand drive) wheels speed sensor wire frayed due to contact with the crank pulley/belt. Seemed the stock mounting position for the wire was crap and pushed the wire straight towards the moving parts. Can be fixed for a couple bucks and about 30 minutes work. Cut the wire at the fray point, strip wire, wind together and solder, wrap with heat shrink or electrical tape, claim victory...

Wide shot where you can see the wire (the one attached to the blue plastic piece):

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit001.jpg
Views: 6355
Size:  435.4 KB

Zoomed in on the problem pulley:

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit002.jpg
Views: 5086
Size:  516.4 KB

Anyway, it seems the stock mounting point of this wire is very close to the pulley/belt. This is the result:

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit003.jpg
Views: 4975
Size:  932.8 KB

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit006.jpg
Views: 5004
Size:  567.1 KB

So I fixed it with the help of Mr. Handy, extra wire, and solder.

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit005.jpg
Views: 5019
Size:  472.7 KB

Then I mounted it in place so it wouldn’t happen again.

Name:  speed_sensor_and_aero_kit007.jpg
Views: 8079
Size:  602.1 KB

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Act_04
I'm not sure re-inforcement is needed, but the same thing happened to me. Passenger side (left-hand drive) wheels speed sensor wire frayed due to contact with the crank pulley/belt.
+1

That looks familiar....

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
bottoussaixae86
Neutral
abs problem

this site has been really helpful. I drive 1986 corolla and my girlfriend drives a mini which i just took to a dealer to chk for the abs light problem. For the left front "wheel speed sensor" to be replace, with labor, would cost $300. Good thing I read your site before hand and I'm trying to see if I could find a mini cooper haynes manual so I could just do everything myself. thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 05:23 PM
anitan1
3rd Gear
Don't waste your money on the Haynes manual. They suck for these cars. Just follow the step by step instructions in this thread. This job is super easy!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question folks: When the defective sensor is replaced, should the lights go off upon turning on the engine, or does one have to drive around a bit before the lights go off. Thanks.

(I am doing this now and hope I do not have to put the wheel back on and go for a drive to find out if it is the correct one. )

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
anitan1
3rd Gear
It should turn off immediately. Just start the car up and it should be off.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by anitan1
It should turn off immediately. Just start the car up and it should be off.
Thanks for the quick reply. Fingers crossed ...

Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On my '04, the lights stayed on until I moved the vehicle (roughly a foot backward in my driveway). Now the lights only come on during the self-check at start-up.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
All is well now. It was the driver's side sensor that was bad.

In may case, only the flat tire light went out when I fired up the engine. The other two lights only went out after driving about 50 yards. Anyway, it appears that the problem is solved.

Thanks for the tips/instructions, folks.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Mine went out after driving a feet.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Ugh. The trifecta came on when I was pulling out of the parking lot at work last night.

If I shut off the vehicle and start it back up, only the ABS and DSC lights remain on. And if I am able to just drive straight, the ABS/DSC lights shut off. The moment I turn the steering wheel, the trifecta pops back on again.

In my case, it's the !@#$%^^& left front sensor AGAIN. Figured this one out by getting the lights to shut off as described above, then going out and shaking the ABS wires at each wheel. The lights reliably pop back on any time the wiring at the left front wheel is disturbed, and I've even got it narrowed down to the point where the loom is molded into the sensor itself...

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
... and I've even got it narrowed down to the point where the loom is molded into the sensor itself...
Bummer about the sensor.

What did you mean in the quote above?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Sorry, I typed that up before I had my morning cup of coffee.

Basically, I figured out exactly where the sensor is having the issue. It seems that there's a break in the wire, and that break seems to be right at the point where the wires go into the sensor. If I jiggle the cable at that point, the trifecta shows up every time. If I hold that point stationary and have a helper jiggle the cable at any other point, the lights remain off.

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Sorry, I typed that up before I had my morning cup of coffee.

Basically, I figured out exactly where the sensor is having the issue. It seems that there's a break in the wire, and that break seems to be right at the point where the wires go into the sensor. If I jiggle the cable at that point, the trifecta shows up every time. If I hold that point stationary and have a helper jiggle the cable at any other point, the lights remain off.

Hope that makes a little more sense.
Ha ha! Yes, thanks. I thought I may have missed some parts that might need some attention.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
h62025
1st Gear
Thanks for keeping this thread up! Looks like I also have a a bad wheel speed sensor =(

Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
I finally got around to replacing the LF wheel speed sensor on my '04 MCS. This is the 2nd time I've had to replace it - the last one made it just over 3 years before it failed. I went ahead and bought one from NAPA this time - it was cheaper than from the dealership, and was an ATE-branded part. Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer than 3 years...

Quick Reply: Light trifecta: ABS, DSC, tire pressure