Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Strange Noise From Clutch When Slowing Down

Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 AM
mattminicoop
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Noise From Clutch When Slowing Down

More than a couple of times recently, I have noticed a strange noise when slowing down coming through second gear. The noise could almost be described as a rusty door opening. It's by no means happens frequently, but the fact that it has now happened more than a couple time could be cause for concern.

Any ideas anyone?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you shifting from 3rd to 2nd when it happens? If so, you have the drivetrain/flywheel squeal that's prevalent in early builds.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
mattminicoop
1st Gear
Yes, from third to second.....is it something to worry about, or should I just mention it at the next scheduled service?

Old 04-13-2008, 07:22 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Keep an eye on it.. I try and blip the between changing gears, that seems to help.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Eeeeeek! Do you really think this is something that one should live with and adjust to by learning "the blip?" Just wondering.

Originally Posted by Krut
Keep an eye on it.. I try and blip the between changing gears, that seems to help.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Krut
6th Gear
I suggested blipping the throttle to help with the flywheel/clutch noise. If it is truly worrisome by all means take it to the dealer and have them investigate.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
korby
6th Gear
The clutchplate gets glazed over if you drive to gently and makes the noise . Mini suggest drive a little more aggresive or bring it in and they'll burn the clutch for you .

Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
MiniMoMir
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by korby
The clutchplate gets glazed over if you drive to gently and makes the noise . Mini suggest drive a little more aggresive or bring it in and they'll burn the clutch for you .
Not ALL at MINI are on the same page, it seems. I've had three clutches and/or flywheels replaced by MINI for this very problem, and it's going in again in two days. On one occasion they suggested I was driving it too hard. In any case, it isn't something one should have to live with, even if it doesn't get worse.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM
mattminicoop
1st Gear
Thanks, I will call them.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Sven071
1st Gear
I got the same thing in first.... it started last night... I was slowing down to a light and then it turned green and I was going around 8 mph - 10 mph and let the clutch out... and then the sound .... I was sort of thinking that the pressure plate isn't putting enough pressure on the clutch causing it to slip like that.... but I'm going to drop by the dealer and show them today .....

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattminicoop
More than a couple of times recently, I have noticed a strange noise when slowing down coming through second gear. The noise could almost be described as a rusty door opening. It's by no means happens frequently, but the fact that it has now happened more than a couple time could be cause for concern.

Any ideas anyone?
Is it anything like this?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=130195

Mine doesnt occur the same as yours, but I'm wondering if the sound is the same (there is a video i posted on that forum)

Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
23cavsfan
1st Gear
What did the dealer have to say when you took your car in? I just got my MCS three weeks ago and I've noticed this problem as well.
Originally Posted by Sven071
I got the same thing in first.... it started last night... I was slowing down to a light and then it turned green and I was going around 8 mph - 10 mph and let the clutch out... and then the sound .... I was sort of thinking that the pressure plate isn't putting enough pressure on the clutch causing it to slip like that.... but I'm going to drop by the dealer and show them today .....

Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
palomojarre
Neutral
hi there.

i've de same problem. in 1 2 3 gears, does a clack noisy, and sometimes, no always when press de clutch, does the same noisy like you. now, i was looking for youtube and i found this. maybe is our problem...

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=7WWQrl...eature=related

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 AM
GregO
4th Gear
clacking

Yeah, mine (2008 MC) does sound like that, but have no idea if it could be that or some other metal slap. All I know right now is that it is more annoying and shoudl not be considered normal. Greg

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop

Mine doesnt occur the same as yours, but I'm wondering if the sound is the same (there is a video i posted on that forum)
I don't think that is the same noise, it is more of a groan. I had the same problem and the Dealer said it was a glazed clutch. They fixed it but the problem is back.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Cart
I don't think that is the same noise, it is more of a groan. I had the same problem and the Dealer said it was a glazed clutch. They fixed it but the problem is back.
I heard that the way the dealer fixes a glazed clutch is by burning it off so I guess you could try it yourself if you need to...I heard read on a thread (don't have link tho cuz it was a long time ago) is to take 60 mph, then clutch in and rev to 4000-5000 and let the clutch out within 3 seconds, but slowly...not more than 3 but not less...

Honestly tho I say don't try it until you hear from others or can ask the dealer for correct numbers...but basically the glazed happens from driving pretty calm so some nice spirited drives should help keep if off once you get the glaze off

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
I heard that the way the dealer fixes a glazed clutch is by burning it off so I guess you could try it yourself if you need to...I heard read on a thread (don't have link tho cuz it was a long time ago) is to take 60 mph, then clutch in and rev to 4000-5000 and let the clutch out within 3 seconds, but slowly...not more than 3 but not less...

Honestly tho I say don't try it until you hear from others or can ask the dealer for correct numbers...but basically the glazed happens from driving pretty calm so some nice spirited drives should help keep if off once you get the glaze off
Checkercoop,

Thank you for the reply. I found the other threads with the directions on how to burn it off. I'd prefer to make the Dealer do it so it is documented... one day I'll need a new clutch and they'll pay.

You know what is weird? My driving is anything but calm... very very spirited. So I don't get it.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I had the same problem with my 350z, the dealer would set the parking brake, give it gas and let out the clutch slowly reaching a point where the car is trying to move forward but can't because of the brake. He would keep it at that point for 5 to 10 seconds and ease off again, he would do it about 5 times. The clutch would smell terrible but afterwards the glazing was gone. Like you said, I would have the dealer do it just in case something happens and that way your not responsible and at the same time it's documented too.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chili Cart
Checkercoop,

Thank you for the reply. I found the other threads with the directions on how to burn it off. I'd prefer to make the Dealer do it so it is documented... one day I'll need a new clutch and they'll pay.

You know what is weird? My driving is anything but calm... very very spirited. So I don't get it.
Yeah definitely I agree...I'm glad the dealer has my problem documented so now when I need a new clutch I have the problem that linked to it

Old 06-09-2008, 04:45 AM
GregO
4th Gear
for checkercoop

checkercoop,

Are you still getting the "clunk"ing (linkage slapping?) when changing gears (up and down)? If so, is it getting any worse or just holding status quo? Mine continues routinely, but usually only once the car is fully warmed up. I'm delaying any dealer visits as long as possible for now because of the feared "could not replicate". Wondering if anybody has any ideas or solutions or if it's just a mini-thing. I haven't noticed any effect on driveability, but...

Thanks,
Greg

Yeah definitely I agree...I'm glad the dealer has my problem documented so now when I need a new clutch I have the problem that linked to it

Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
checkercoop,

Are you still getting the "clunk"ing (linkage slapping?) when changing gears (up and down)? If so, is it getting any worse or just holding status quo? Mine continues routinely, but usually only once the car is fully warmed up. I'm delaying any dealer visits as long as possible for now because of the feared "could not replicate". Wondering if anybody has any ideas or solutions or if it's just a mini-thing. I haven't noticed any effect on driveability, but...

Thanks,
Greg
Its about the same, but I'd say its gotten a little worse, but not really enough to judge...mine seems to happy hot or cold, maybe I will take some video soon and post it up so everyone can see the noise I am talking about...but I already have my clutch ticking documented and I've asked them how normal that kinda shift noise is, so I figure I can get a good amount of miles on the whole tranny and I'm sure at some point I will be due for a whole clutch replacment and if they can link the clutch to affecting my tranny then possibly a new tranny. But there is no sense in replacing yet because it on has 8600 miles and performs perfectly

But yes I feel the same it sucks, but I'm not too worried because my dealer is good. I know they will take care of me. I understand they couldn't really replace my clutch when it performs perfectly just has a clicking and texture feel, so they wouldn't be reimbursed for warrantee work

Old 06-11-2008, 12:47 PM
mattminicoop
1st Gear

Sorry, been off-line for a long time. This is NOT the noise I am hearing.

Mine is definitely more of a rusty hinge type sound than a clicking like that.

It happens not even once a week and only when going from 2nd to 3rd when slowing down.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Check my post here (post #90) regarding the replacement of my clutch!

Last edited by xof711; 06-12-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
mattminicoop
1st Gear
That's not good!

Having said that, I don't believe it is the clutch on mine, otherwise I think I would have more symptoms than I do. Admittedly, I know not the first thing about cars, but just my opinion.