MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Engine oil overfill?

My dealer left me at 1.5 cm over the top of the top mark on the wiry dipstick (hard to read with clean oil!). The reading was after being parked overnight on my level garage floor. I know overfilling can be harmful, but it's not easy to have some local place lower my oil...
The MINI dealer is 250 milers away.
Anyone know if that amount of overfill is detrimental in any way? Should I try to get it back down?

2008 MINI Clubman, 3/31/08, HC/B with Chocolate Lounge Leather,
Piano Black & Cream White, Anthracite Headliner, chrome line interior,
Pkgs: Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience & Sport;
16" snow wheels & 17" summer wheels.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Thats seems to be a quart to much. I would look into lowering it, I would think a quick lube place could do that for you with little problem. I also would call the shop back and let them know that their (factory) trained high school kid over filled it. My rant is they have everyone thinking that if its not a Mini shop doing the work that bad things will happen and you will not be covered- yet when its there fault its like its no big deal.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
one risks blowing engine seals with an overfilled oil reservoir, among other oil pressure-related problems. better to be a half quart under than a half quart over. get that excess oil taken out asap
I say, boy, you dont seem to be apprehendin' the general gist of what I'm tryin' to convey here. Maybe you oughta take a second, let your head catch up to your tongue before it gets all sunburnt. That was a joke, son, I say - a joke! Nice boy, but he's about as sharp as a sack o' wet mice.

09 MCSa JCW
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
It's not just seals. Depending on how high the crank sits up above the normal oil level, with an overfilled engine, the crank may be splashing down into the oil causing an increase in drag (lower mpg) and foaming. The first is just an inconvenience but the latter is a serious issue in terms of engine protection.
'02 MCS, Sport, Premium, Webb Sportbox RAF, 15% pulley, Milltek cat back, H-Sport comp rear swaybar, Powerflex engine and gearbox inserts, Stewart Warner boost and oil temp gauges in E-Pod, Optima Red Top 35, Whalen ****, M7 front grill, Hella FF200 fog lights on Out Motoring brackets, MCAW

Click here to see my cars and installs
Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Thanks to all for suggestions. I called the dealer and got the word that 1.5 cm is about 1/3 qt, or less, and not to worry about it. I wish I knew how much oil I'm talking about here. I brought the car in for an optional oil change after break-in at around 2000 miles, so both old and new oil were clean.I drove 3000 miles on my trip before I looked at it and saw the level up 1.5 cm, which is just over .5 inch. I should check it when it's hot to see if it foams. I plan to lower it Monday.

2008 MINI Clubman, 3/31/08, HC/B with Chocolate Lounge Leather,
Piano Black & Cream White, Anthracite Headliner, chrome line interior,
Pkgs: Premium, Cold Weather, Convenience & Sport;
16" snow wheels & 17" summer wheels.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
Take it to a shop and just have them drain id without taking off the filter and take with you 4 quarts of Mobile One (the good stuff) and have them fill it back up with that. Overfill of the oil is detrimental to your engine. I am just glad you are thorough enough to recognize it.

'05 MCS Electric Blue w/ White Top-Borla Race Exhaust, Alta Intake, Alta Reduced Pulley, 20% tint, Breyton GT-S Wheels, Custom Stereo- Wife's
GP0256, RMW Tune, M7 Strut Tower Brace, Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber Plates
'12 R58 S-White Silver/Black-Wife's Ride-fJCW Exhaust, Burger Tuning JB+ & Can Tool
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
Ask some of the knowledgeable tuners here on NAM. I've read in a few posts that I can't find that adding up to an extra quart will not cause splashing from the crankshaft. It said that adding up to 1 extra quart will help with oil starvation problems on really hard cornering.

I would trust a company who has built up our engines rather than a dealership. Maybe ask RWM or ALTA, or one of the many companies here that actually rebuild engines.

BTW, this is something that I read here from a vendor. In other engines, I have heard of overfilling causing extra oil pressure blowing the head gasket, or foaming of the oil from splashing of the crankshaft.

The Mini is gone thanks to the POS Midlands tranny. FU BMW! So I got myself a Subi. Tuned it myself to around 280 crank hp...for $15. That's with no mods...yet.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Jhud
Gallery
letting the vehicle sit overnight and measuring the oil level is not the correct way to check the oil. you should start it and run it for a minute and then shut it off and check it. you have to put almost a full quart in over the limit to be "overfull" and in extreme cases if wayyyy to overfull the crank will mix the oil into a orangy frothy susbtance that doesnt lubricate. your fine.

11/2002 Build- Pure Silver-15%pulley-AltaV1CAI-Invidia Catback-JCW plugs and belt, Alta Oil Catch Can, Alta SSK,
JCW Spoiler-JCW Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-JCW Carbon Fiber hood scoop-Viper strips-35%tint-Blackout beltline-Stewart Warner Alt/Boost combo-Custom intercooler cover-Dechromed taillights-Aux input-Goodyear F1 GSD3 205/50/16-Alta Stubby Antenna-R53BFUN plate-More to come-Only 60K on the clock
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM
5th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhud View Post
letting the vehicle sit overnight and measuring the oil level is not the correct way to check the oil. you should start it and run it for a minute and then shut it off and check it. you have to put almost a full quart in over the limit to be "overfull" and in extreme cases if wayyyy to overfull the crank will mix the oil into a orangy frothy susbtance that doesnt lubricate. your fine.
I was going to mention this myself
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM