Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine oil overfill?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine oil overfill?

My dealer left me at 1.5 cm over the top of the top mark on the wiry dipstick (hard to read with clean oil!). The reading was after being parked overnight on my level garage floor. I know overfilling can be harmful, but it's not easy to have some local place lower my oil...
The MINI dealer is 250 milers away.
Anyone know if that amount of overfill is detrimental in any way? Should I try to get it back down?

Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats seems to be a quart to much. I would look into lowering it, I would think a quick lube place could do that for you with little problem. I also would call the shop back and let them know that their (factory) trained high school kid over filled it. My rant is they have everyone thinking that if its not a Mini shop doing the work that bad things will happen and you will not be covered- yet when its there fault its like its no big deal.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one risks blowing engine seals with an overfilled oil reservoir, among other oil pressure-related problems. better to be a half quart under than a half quart over. get that excess oil taken out asap

Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not just seals. Depending on how high the crank sits up above the normal oil level, with an overfilled engine, the crank may be splashing down into the oil causing an increase in drag (lower mpg) and foaming. The first is just an inconvenience but the latter is a serious issue in terms of engine protection.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks to all for suggestions. I called the dealer and got the word that 1.5 cm is about 1/3 qt, or less, and not to worry about it. I wish I knew how much oil I'm talking about here. I brought the car in for an optional oil change after break-in at around 2000 miles, so both old and new oil were clean.I drove 3000 miles on my trip before I looked at it and saw the level up 1.5 cm, which is just over .5 inch. I should check it when it's hot to see if it foams. I plan to lower it Monday.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Take it to a shop and just have them drain id without taking off the filter and take with you 4 quarts of Mobile One (the good stuff) and have them fill it back up with that. Overfill of the oil is detrimental to your engine. I am just glad you are thorough enough to recognize it.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Ask some of the knowledgeable tuners here on NAM. I've read in a few posts that I can't find that adding up to an extra quart will not cause splashing from the crankshaft. It said that adding up to 1 extra quart will help with oil starvation problems on really hard cornering.

I would trust a company who has built up our engines rather than a dealership. Maybe ask RWM or ALTA, or one of the many companies here that actually rebuild engines.

BTW, this is something that I read here from a vendor. In other engines, I have heard of overfilling causing extra oil pressure blowing the head gasket, or foaming of the oil from splashing of the crankshaft.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Jhud
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
letting the vehicle sit overnight and measuring the oil level is not the correct way to check the oil. you should start it and run it for a minute and then shut it off and check it. you have to put almost a full quart in over the limit to be "overfull" and in extreme cases if wayyyy to overfull the crank will mix the oil into a orangy frothy susbtance that doesnt lubricate. your fine.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Nitrominis
Banned
Originally Posted by Jhud
letting the vehicle sit overnight and measuring the oil level is not the correct way to check the oil. you should start it and run it for a minute and then shut it off and check it. you have to put almost a full quart in over the limit to be "overfull" and in extreme cases if wayyyy to overfull the crank will mix the oil into a orangy frothy susbtance that doesnt lubricate. your fine.
I was going to mention this myself