Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hiccup and A Puff of Smoke Under Acceleration

Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 AM
minister07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this problem in my '07 Cooper S. I don't see smoke very often, but have been through (under warranty, thank god) an HP fuel pump & timing chain tensioner & loads of injector cleaner. The tensioner seemed to help marginally for a bit but didn't solve the problem. Most recently I was told my oil was low (1 qt). Ok, I topped it up and check it maniacally now, but it doesn't help. It's a daily occurrence that my car sputters and loses power up a hill - just for a few seconds. Enough to really freak me out but it's NEVER thrown a code over this and the dealer has not offered to clean the valves or anything. I run 93 octane, have tried octane booster beyond that, injector cleaner every couple of months, etc... I had wondered if it was a turbo bypass valve thing (I am from the world of Saab...) but the Mini mechanics just look at me like I'm crazy. This thread is useful but I wonder if there are any new bulletins or anything out there?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"Superknock" run a search in the forum and you'll find many threads.

Happens whether you're stock or tuned, only solution right now is to downshift to higher rpm's for hills. The extra load at a lower gear will cause it to "superknock". I'm assuming this is after a cold start and the first time trying to give it power during the drive?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM
minister07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SooperCuperErik - thanks for this info. The problem happens after 20 mins of driving on feisty backroads. It also happens cold but I try not to push the engine till it's good and warm.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oxybluecoop
I had the same thing start to happen consistently at WOT shifts(auto) where it would hiccup and throw a puff out the tailpipe. I eventually traced it to a vacumn leak at the crankcase PCV connection. The cheap plastic hose was sucking air causing the stuttering. Verified it on a dyno. Replaced plastic hose with a 1" rubber hose along with clamps and fixed the problem. Definitely worth checking out if you have similar symptoms on your MCS since the PCV/Intake manifold are very similar on the N12/N14 engines.

Oh and the MINI tech and service mgr were convinced my torque converter was shot and wanted over 2k for replacement.
Do you have a replacement part # for the rubber hose u used?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laforze
Do you have a replacement part # for the rubber hose u used?
there isn't a part number. you literally go to your auto store and buy 1"ID rubber hose and a pair of hose clamps. I did this too.