Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hiccup and A Puff of Smoke Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking that this superknock is attributed the high pressure fuel pump problem. It would make sense as the faulty pump would supply less fuel to the engine causing it to run lean and creating pinging/detonation (this is what you hear as clicking) condition. I guess in severe cases like mine this detonation can destroy on of the pistons.
I also think that this applies more to modified cars with increased boost levels, open air intakes, etc....I assume that these cars are tuned to the max power output and slight deviation from the tune (ex: less fuel/faulty fuel pump) can cause detonation.
At least all is good now with my car since the fuel pump has been replaced and the OEM latest software has been flashed. I do have the K&N Intake and the full JCW exhaust.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GuestFromGermany
I drive a Peugeot 207CC THP. This car has exactly the same engine like the MCS.
I've never seen your car in person but a quick google search says it has 156BHP which is nowhere near as much power as a MCS (and quite a bit more than a base cooper). Does yours have a turbo?

It maybe a very similiar engine but it's certainly not exactly the same.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I've never seen your car in person but a quick google search says it has 156BHP which is nowhere near as much power as a MCS (and quite a bit more than a base cooper). Does yours have a turbo?

It maybe a very similiar engine but it's certainly not exactly the same.
I think he is referring to the Peugeot 207 RC with 172hp. Both cars are great except that the RC suffers from to much body role. The MINI is a better handling car but the Peugeot is not a bad choice considering the price difference. Personally I'll always pick my MCS it beats the RC every time.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ellinara
I think he is referring to the Peugeot 207 RC with 172hp.
i juat googled what he wrote: Peugeot 207CC THP and none of the links i followed said anything about 172hp. Could be what you say though. I know little about peugeot other than they make the minis block.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Peugeot counterpart(s) to the Cooper S is/are the Peugeot 207 GTI and/or RC, purportedly with a 175-Hp version of the Prince engine. The 207 CC appears to utilize the same engine, but at a de-rated output of 148 Hp.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
Alright the specs for the Peugeot rc are here
http://www.rsportscars.com/peugeot/2007-peugeot-207-rc/
I think that GuestFromGermany mixed up his specs on his car. His car's engine is a prince but it's a detuned version of it. However, the rc is pretty nice car but def. not nearly as fun as the MCS...

Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok, my warranty expired this past Thursday (621 days, woo!) and this weekend I cracked open my intake manifold to get a look at my valves and experiment with Seafoam.

Here's what I found:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...seafoam-2.html

Old 11-21-2010, 07:53 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
Ok, my warranty expired this past Thursday (621 days, woo!) and this weekend I cracked open my intake manifold to get a look at my valves and experiment with Seafoam.

Here's what I found:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...seafoam-2.html
How long did you let the SeaFoam set?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
5-10 minutes
Seafoam's guidance is 5 minutes. I wiped my hands off, threw out the paper towel, then started a 5 minute timer.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
quit membership

Last edited by GuestFromGermany; 02-16-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
@fishbert:

Ok, you really mean the valve... I only wanted to be sure we are thinking about the same. The valves didn't have Problems in my car. Why should some coking on the back side introduce knocking?
A few possible reasons I can think of are:
1) you don't get a good seal with the valve any more.
2) flow of intake air is reduced, throwing off the mixture in the chamber.
3) timing (and fuel/air mixture) is thrown off by the valve closing early (due to buildup on mating surfaces).
4) carbon retains heat and can lead to early ignition in the chamber.

It's a well-understood and very common problem with direct-injection engines; and not just from MINI. It's also been discussed in car enthusiast magazines (Motor Trend? am I remembering that correctly?).

Sure, a problem with other areas of the fuel delivery system may also produce knocking or misfires, but direct-injection intake valve carbon buildup is not one to be overlooked.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
You want to avoid that super knock. It can cause stuff like this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3164727

Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
quit membership

Last edited by GuestFromGermany; 02-16-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
too less air means a rich mixture... but a rich mixture improves cooling and doesn't yield knocking as far as I know.
"Knocking Caused by Over-Rich Mixture.—Knocking, with all the features of that caused by an over-early spark, may sometimes result from an excessively rich mixture, which may ignite too slowly or too rapidly. Here, as in the general operation of the engine, the rule holds that spark-advance and charge-enriching amount to the same thing, so far as the results are concerned." -- Self-propelled vehicles: a practical treatise on the theory, construction, operation, care, and management of all forms of automobiles, By James Edward Homans, 1909.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
"Knocking Caused by Over-Rich Mixture.—Knocking, with all the features of that caused by an over-early spark, may sometimes result from an excessively rich mixture, which may ignite too slowly or too rapidly. Here, as in the general operation of the engine, the rule holds that spark-advance and charge-enriching amount to the same thing, so far as the results are concerned." -- Self-propelled vehicles: a practical treatise on the theory, construction, operation, care, and management of all forms of automobiles, By James Edward Homans, 1909.

I'm not getting into your discussion but I had to laugh at your reference to a book written in 1909.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I'm not getting into your discussion but I had to laugh at your reference to a book written in 1909.
Damn this new-fangled internal combustion engine!

Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
quit membership

Old 11-25-2010, 05:16 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
From that article you posted:

The definition of pre-ignition is the ignition of the fuel/air charge prior to the spark plug firing. Pre-ignition caused by some other ignition source such as an overheated spark plug tip, carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and, rarely, a burned exhaust valve; all act as a glow plug to ignite the charge.

A glowing spot somewhere in the chamber is the most likely point for pre-ignition to occur. It is very conceivable that if you have something glowing, like a spark plug tip or a carbon ember, it could ignite the charge while the piston is very early in the compression stoke.
I don't see any indication in that article that 'superknock' (or pre-ignition) would be caused by a fuel mixture issue, as you have been suggesting (by way of fuel pump or injector problems). The author instead points to an actual ignition source separate from the spark plug firing as the culprit. You can probably tell with the emphasis I added to the quote which of the example ignition sources I feel is in play with most 'superknock' faults on our direct-injection MINI engines — the one related to a widely-recognized issue with direct-injection engines in general.

Granted, a carbon ember would have to be inside the combustion chamber to do this, not on the back of the intake valves. But take a look at this (it's a big image, zoom in and get a good look at those deposits) and tell me that some amount of heat-retaining carbon isn't likely to break off and enter the combustion chamber at some point during normal operation of the valve.

And I would also add that various people on this forum have had 'superknock' issues with their direct injection MINIs that were resolved by removal of carbon deposits in the intake ports.

You're certainly free to believe whatever you would like to believe (as we all are), but I guess I just don't see what compelling evidence there is to suggest that the 'superknock' issue is not related to carbon buildup in the intake ports.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
quit membership

Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
I don't see any mention of what the superknock ignition source would be, if we were to assume injectors or the fuel pump were the root cause. That is rather important when talking about a pre-ignition condition.

That wikipedia article you point to even says:
"Pre-ignition is initiated by an ignition source other than the spark, such as hot spots in the combustion chamber, a spark plug that runs too hot for the application, or carbonaceous deposits in the combustion chamber heated to incandescence by previous engine combustion events."
... that's the second source you've brought up that indicates the necessity of an ignition source other than the firing of the spark plug and that points to heat-retaining carbon deposits as an example.

I don't mean to be argumentative or to draw this out past what is healthy, but you seem to keep discounting the carbon deposits issue, even though your own supporting sources keep bringing it up.

Last edited by fishbert; 11-26-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 AM
GuestFromGermany
1st Gear
quit membership

Last edited by GuestFromGermany; 02-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
I have a water meth system because here in California we have the worst gas out there, and I have no issues at all.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Hey German guy, you go on the left side of the site to "user CP" then go to your "subscribed threads" and Un subscribe there

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Twisty_sr
Neutral
Hiccup and a Puff

My 07 did the same thing!

I used Sea Foam a few times and it cleaned the turbo blades. I think that the carbon build up lets go when you downshift and get on it to pass or whatever, some carbon blows out in a big brown puff then the mini gets up and goes!

If you use Sea Foam be careful that it does not come in contact with Mass Air Sensor ($600 learned the hard way) I spray it in at the the metalic intake while reving it a bit.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Twisty_sr
My 07 did the same thing!

I used Sea Foam a few times and it cleaned the turbo blades. I think that the carbon build up lets go when you downshift and get on it to pass or whatever, some carbon blows out in a big brown puff then the mini gets up and goes!

If you use Sea Foam be careful that it does not come in contact with Mass Air Sensor ($600 learned the hard way) I spray it in at the the metalic intake while reving it a bit.

Hope this is helpful.
i hope you are joking.. There are several things wrong here.

Quick Reply: Hiccup and A Puff of Smoke Under Acceleration