Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 service / brake lights etc reset procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Lifecycles
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine last night and got everything reset on my 08 R56. I let go of the two buttons on the Tach after the symbol and did the BC to change symbols and reset. Once the symbol you want appears hold the button again and a RESET appaers with a little timer by the symbol. I held the BC till it timed out and did the same to the others and it reset.I too had trouble making it reset with both buttond held down while pushing the BC.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
tboogs
Neutral
Light reset for '05

Just replaced front rotors on my '05 and I'm plagued by the ABS light,ASC light and tire warning light. I'd love to know how to reset or troubleshoot.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
search on 'trifecta'

usually a sign that a wheel speed sensor is damaged . . .

Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 AM
zminicooper
1st Gear
Hello NAM motors. I recently did a brake job (front and rear rotors and pads) about 4 months ago. The dealer wanted to charge me $30 to reset the light, and luckily i ran across this post. However now my rear service brake light came on along with the "BRAKE" light on my tac. I did the reset several times and the same thing happens. It resets to 30k miles and then a day later the service light comes on (message center turns yellow when the car is started up and then after so many miles it turns red and the brake light comes on). Does anyone have any ideas on the problem?
One key point i forgot to mention is that i never fully connected it with the brake pad in the rear. I have it wire tied to one of the rear brake likes so i don't have to buy a sensor again.
Thanks all!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
was the dealer going to charge you $30 for a new sensor?

If your sensor 'tripped' it must be replaced OR you must cut off the end and tie the wire ends together. (then you can wire tie the end out of the way disabling the sensor)

A sensor trips by breaking a wire creating an open circuit.
(a worn sensor with the wire nubs circled .. the rotor wore the connecting wire away, tripping the sensor)
Name:  29726cb3-e422-4202-a709-95a8ada40fbe_zps931fddd8.jpg
Views: 4160
Size:  76.3 KB

You must close this open circuit or the system will do what you see - immediately show a worn condition again.

Snip the sensor off the end and connect the wires together. I solder 'em and seal with heat shrink tube.
Name:  100_0026.jpg
Views: 6065
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
zminicooper
1st Gear
The dealer was quoting to turn the brake light off the tachometer. And I bought a new sensor, but from the way you said it, it looks like the sensor was tripped. I'll give the wire-tieing a go.
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
Soooooooo you guys are doing this the hard way....... its really a lot simpler then this. get in your car and close the door. Put the car in accessory and then cycle through your notifications (Press the button on the blinker) When its displaying the mileage and temp hold the reset butting ( the one on the right) until it changes to the "service menu. then you press the button to cycle through. Hold it to start the reset and then once it says reset let go and hold it down again to confirm the reset. As for the problem with not being able to reset the brake light you need to go through the reset procedure and then immediately turn off accessory and eject the key and turn it back on. It will stay the same once or twice and then the third key cycle it will reset.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Mini_Love
Neutral
Will this also make my coop stop telling me I need to get my 60,000 mile check up? I have had everything checked out, except I didn't take it to a Mini shop (Closest one is in another state) so it still yells at me.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
yeah you can reset the vehicle check in this menu

Old 12-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Island maser
5th Gear
Thanks guys. Used #59 with the car running. Put my second set of CarboTech X-10 in the front. Love the pads but the quality of there service is questionable at best. First said I had to return because they were wrong. Didn't machine them to take the sensors.
I made sure when I ordered this time that I needed them with sensors. Again they arrive with out them. Lucky I was using a buddies lift and he has equipment. Machined one of the pads out the take the sensor and all was good. Nice to clear the code without going to the dealer. I had to go back after my last oil change as they forgot to reset it. I also had to install I new sensor on the front. $26 at Mini of Scottsdale AZ. Well priced I thought. This was my second set of front X-10's. Since I am using the same pads and all was good there was no need to turn the rotors. I was concerned about thickness but we measured them and the there were still serviceable but they will need to be replaced next time.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:17 PM
weebad
Neutral
Thank You!

Originally Posted by SFMiniguy
Here is a pretty good video of how to reset. I did it on my 2008 and it worked perfectly! The dealer wanted to charge me $60 to reset it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyym...eature=related

Thank You so much!!! I put new pads and rotors on today and tried to clear the code with my scanner but I could not. I checked the sensor, I checked... well I checked everything at least four times.

Jump ahead a few hours, It's almost bedtime now and although the brakes worked fine I still had a red light displayed which is causing anxiety. Angry birds with friends isn't helping so I turn to this forum for help in a moment of inspiration. I found your video and reset the warning on the first try!
Twenty minutes later it's lights out, both on my dashboard and next to the bed. Thank You again!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM
madmaxxed
6th Gear
I did front and rear pads and rotors along with new sensors in my wife's 2010 MCS. the sensors tripped just before. I did the simplified procedure to reset the lights by entering the service menu and then clicking the right button. The light cleared but then reappeared within a few weeks later. I just checked and noticed only the rear sensors were reset and not the front. I did try this procedure in this thread but couldn't access anything after the light check part. Her car has an airbag light on. Could this be the reason it wouldn't work properly? Will this mess with anything by not following all the way through the steps? I did clear the front sensor with the simplified procedure. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 AM
billas mini
Neutral
My brake light (red) came on today with a little over 27k miles together with a mini on a lift on startup. I tried the reset procedure and it worked at first. Turned the car off and started it again only to find out the the brake and lift light is back on but this time the color is now yellow. Am I doing something wrong here? Tried to do the reset again a few more times to no avail. I have not done the checking of the pads which I can do this coming weekend. If the pads and indicators are worn wouldn't the light continue to be red and not yellow? Please help. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 PM
billas mini
Neutral
Update: The yellow brake light and the infamous stripper pole magically disappeared while driving today. Don't know what happened but everything seems a-ok.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cmcveay
With the car running, push & hold the RIGHT **** on the tach. ...
Aha! This worked for me where the other song and dance didn't. Well, it did the instrument test, and got me to the VIN menu, but didn't get to the reset. The right-**** thing did!

Thanks, and know that your post is helping someone even seven years later...

Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM
r56turbored
Neutral
I just tried to reset my brake light but it won't reset goes into reset mode with the timer but just continues to say original milage that it's over do. -260. Help please

Old 04-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you replaced the brake pad wear sensor(s)?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM
r56turbored
Neutral
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Have you replaced the brake pad wear sensor(s)?
I have not I suppose that makes sense huh. I just order some ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors for the front. The kit comes with a new sensor!

Old 04-23-2016, 01:08 PM
R56YouSankMyBattleship
1st Gear
I had the front brake warning on my 2010 Cooper Base Hatchback. I tried resetting from about 1100 miles remaining, but it would never reset. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the pad wear sensor, but that didn't help. The wear sensor was easily 3/8 of an inch from the rotor, so I didn't think it had worn. Since I had tried everything else with no luck, I figured I had nothing to lose by cutting, stripping, and splicing together the two wires of the sensor. Once I did that and tried the reset procedure again it instantly worked. I think the wear sensor had broken or cracked at some point in it's life and broke the internal circuit, thus it wouldn't allow the computer to be reset.

I tried the OP's procedure for entering the computer, plus the procedure outlined in post 59. Both worked fine for me.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 AM
pluffmud
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Reviving - will the seatbelt/airbag indicator override these procedures and render them unworkable? Made it through the dash light check but will not display VIN or cycle to reset.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:15 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I followed these procedures to reset the front brakes, and the reset starts and and shows a little clock like it's thinking, but the brake warning still shows 40 miles, no date. The front and rear brakes and rotors were replaced about 2,000 miles ago.

Any suggestions?

2011 Base hardtop.

TIA.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Did you install new brake wear sensors when you changed the brake pads? There is a sensor on the left front and one on the right rear.

If the brake wear sensor is worn down, they need to be replaced or you can't reset the brake warning light.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
2012 R56 - this is what worked for me, took all of 10-20 seconds..

The following users liked this post:
dale_z28 (05-06-2019)
Old 11-17-2016, 11:09 AM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
I replaced the front pads and I cut the sensor and soldered the wires together. I have tried to reset with no luck. The display shows the word reset but the little clock icon never appears. Brake light will not go out. Any other ideas?

Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM
obgmugen
1st Gear
Tried this. It got me to the correct menu to clear service light for rear brakes. After resetting, it still went back to a negative number and a restart still shows the service light indicator ( mini on lift )
Anything else i can try?

Originally Posted by TWISTER
Posted by ONED on MINI2

OK Folks the info you have all been waiting for - sorry it took so long to compile - but have managed to get round all those R56 service light resets. The main one people are asking for is the Brake indicator reset after changing pads and fitting a new sensor, but the procedure is the same for all service indicator resets.
Please do not reset any of your service lights if you have TLC cover for this work.
I take no responsibility for how this info may be used!:rolleyes:

Anyway......

To enter the service Menu:

Insert Key
Do not press clutch / brake
Press Start button
Wait until the Car / revelant Service symbol disappears on the Rev counter display
Immediately after the symbol goes out - Press and hold Both buttons on the Rev Counter
Continue to hold - the system Will run a dash light check:rolleyes:
Continue to hold
Display will then show VIN / Menu, - continue to hold through this until the time Reappears on the display.
Now release Only the Right hand Button (trip reset) for about a second, and then press and hold again (whilst still holding the LH button)
After another second of 2 the display will show the Front Brake Symbol You Are Now in the Service Menu:D
Use the BC Button (on indicator stalk) to scroll through to the relevant symbol - eg Rear Brakes

To Reset the warning indicator light - Press & Hold the BC Button at the revelant symbol until RESET appears - then press and hold again until the process is complete.

Turn Off and On the Ignition again - Warning should now have gone!

Good Luck !

Mods can you please add a copy of this Info to the FAQ & DIY Section, and can you also Sticky this?