Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 service / brake lights etc reset procedure

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
mubex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need a video...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM
n_wong89
2nd Gear
So i got the "mini on the lift + brake symbols". I assume this is for my rear brake pads as they are 1/4 inch to an 1/8inch left. Did it hit the sensor when i braked? If i replaced my brake pads on my own, would this fix my problem, or could this be a different thing?

Old 10-10-2009, 07:27 AM
bart5467
4th Gear
was able to reset my Rear brake pads thanx a bunch wish i would have seen this a long time ago lol so then i wouldnt have had to go to the dealer to get it reset

Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
jghost
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy Crap, it took me longer to find this information than it did to do the brakes. I wish they would stop with the excess crap built into these new cars, it makes me sick! My Mini Crapper is now working again, until next time of course...

Thanks for the help guys. I will definately be back to this forum!

The following users liked this post:
Buzzbcooper (09-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
All, I think that there is another requirement. You MUST replace the sensors or the reset will not work. :(

Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM
RacerTex
Neutral
Still wont reset

Hi Twister, and thanks for the hard work you put into this thread for us. My '07 r56 just passed the maintenance plan mileage (36000) so I replaced the rear pads myself. The sensor appears to be fine, the counter said I still had 3300 miles to go. I tried what you explained in this thread, and everything goes just as you explained. However when I'm through, it still says I only have 3300 miles remaining on the rear pads. My nearest dealer is 95 mi. away and I would sure like handle this at home. Thanks for your attention.

Racertex

Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Thanks works like a champ!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM
SFMiniguy
Neutral
Here is a pretty good video of how to reset. I did it on my 2008 and it worked perfectly! The dealer wanted to charge me $60 to reset it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyym...eature=related

Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 PM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RacerTex
Hi Twister, and thanks for the hard work you put into this thread for us. My '07 r56 just passed the maintenance plan mileage (36000) so I replaced the rear pads myself. The sensor appears to be fine, the counter said I still had 3300 miles to go. I tried what you explained in this thread, and everything goes just as you explained. However when I'm through, it still says I only have 3300 miles remaining on the rear pads. My nearest dealer is 95 mi. away and I would sure like handle this at home. Thanks for your attention.

Racertex
Has anyone figured out how to get around this? I'm having the exact same issue; replaced front/rear pads on my own well in advance of needing them- both sensors are still intact. Within the service menu I was able to reset the rear pad service interval countdown, but not the front.

Is there really some type of lock in the system that refuses to reset the countdown without installing a new sensor, even if the sensor was never triggered? And if so, how come I could reset the rear and not the front? Damn it I'm confused...

Old 05-29-2010, 12:25 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Glad to see I'm not the only one having an issue with resetting the brake indicators. My rears reset to 10k, but I cannot get the fronts to budge.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:08 PM
sjustorm15
Neutral
Im stumped! I changed my brake pad sensor and tried resetting the warning light but cant get it to disappear. Im starting to think that I didnt install the sensor correctly. When I installed the sensor there was a little resistance trying to get it into the slot. I tried tapping it with a small amount of force but didnt want to overdo it for fear of breaking it. Im pretty sure these are supposed to snap into place when its the right position. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
fnc
1st Gear
Here is a good article on the system. You might have a a partially worn sensor.

Brake pad wear sensor testing - MINI Cooper R56 https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/BoACB

Last edited by fnc; 06-07-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fnc
Here is a good article on the system. You might have a a partially worn sensor.

Brake pad wear sensor testing - MINI Cooper R56 https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/BoACB
Well I'll be...that's the first I've read anywhere about the sensors being more than just a simple on/off trigger. I don't recall my sensors showing any sign of wear, but based on what I'm experiencing in terms of an inability to reset, maybe that's my issue.

Looks like I'll have to dig into this a bit further, and maybe just spring for a new front sensor. Thanks a lot for posting that up, fnc!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Nice find fnc. I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 AM
fnc
1st Gear
These so called simple systems keep getting more complicated. Not any harder to determine what's going on, just more complicated.

Last edited by fnc; 06-08-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
ONED
Neutral
Hi Guys!

Glad to see my proceedure has been of use to so many people - Even on the other edge of the Atlantic!!

You guys who cannot reset deffinately need to check your sensors, I would suggest a multimeter to do a continuity (bell) test!
I had an issue on an R50 model where the front sensor had a broken wire at one of the rubber sheaths attached to the strut - easily missed!

Cheers Barry

Last edited by ONED; 06-19-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 AM
ONED
Neutral

Last edited by ONED; 06-19-2010 at 02:13 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
djdnz
1st Gear
Thanks for this post friend!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
SpaGuru
Neutral
We just simply disconnected the sensors, cut the majority of the wire off the end of the connector except for about 2", and soldered the two wires together, installed shrink wrap and sealed up the solder joint and reinstalled the sensors. For me, simply visually inspecting the brake pads through the wheels, like all the other vehicles I have ever owned, makes more sense than spending $50-100 on new sensors...

Old 12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
On my way home today, I got the little car on the lift and brake light so I knew I'd have to go through the reset procedure when I got home. While I was waiting at a light (it's a long light), I was just "goofing off" and pushing the two stems on the tach. I found an easier way to reset the service indicator and I'd like to see if someone else will try it to see if it works the same for me.

With the car running, push & hold the RIGHT **** on the tach. After 20 seconds or so (I didn't time it and I didn't get a chance to try it again), the service indicators came on and then, I was able to cycle through the indicators to the one I wanted to reset (it actually came up as the first indicator but I went through all of them anyway) and then, I pressed and held the end of the turn signal stalk for a second and it gave me the reset option where I then pushed it in and held it while the little clock face ticked down and it reset the indicator. As soon as I started rolling, it went back to the normal functions. I hope this works for you too.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Bomberil
Neutral
Problem with my r56

Hi friends. Listen i changed frmyself the brakepads. Im from chile. Here is too expensive the dealers from mini. My car daid that i still have like 4000 kms to change my pads but i had already changed.
I try to reset the light but i dont know if i must wait until the signal goes to 0 or i can reset right now. I try to reset but is not working. What can i do? I need to change the sensor? When can i reset the rear brake light. I hope somebody can help becausd i have reset all the other lights but the only one that does not allow me is the rear brake light
Waiting for your reply
Thanks

Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
david in germany
5th Gear
Once the warning illuminates for the brake pads the sensor must be replaced. Once the sensor is replaced you can reset the light.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Bomberil
Neutral
Question

But friend i havent got the light iluminated. The computer say me that i have still 4000 km to change the pads. I must buy the sensor to reset the ight or i can do it right now because it doesnt works for me to reset it. The clock start to reset but then it fail

Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
My understanding is that the brake pad sensor will start a countdown once it is tripped. It will go through that period and then when the variable circuit is done, it trips it to the red light. So even though the light is not yet illuminated, the brake pad sensor has been triggered as it has started the countdown. Which means you would have to replace the sensor in order to reset the OBC.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
ReneeB77
Neutral
Resetting brake light

I'm not sure I'm doing this right since I'm new to the site. I hope this is in regards to the directions on how to reset brake lights. I did post a question as to what my lights mean, but it turns out it was in Gen I and not II. Here is my photo, would the directions apply to these lights which are different than the others. What is R56? As is obvious, I don't have a clue about cars

Quick Reply: R56 service / brake lights etc reset procedure