Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I wasn't hearing things then. I listened to the video on the Mini2 site and that is exactly what my car sounded like the other night.
It was parked all day at work and was cold out, (for California) about 42 degrees.
When I started it up, it sounded like a diesle truck motor, something was rattling or metal on metal type sound. I ran it for a few seconds and then turned it off. When I turned it back on the sound was there, but then quickly went away.
I pulled into a gas station and raised the bonnet, thinking I might be able to see something, but of course I couldnt. The drive home was fine and I haven't heard it since, so I guess I'll just wait and see if it comes back or if someone finds the source to this, I'll bring it in to the dealer.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
After about two weeks without incident, mine made the noise again today. This time the temperature had dropped to around -2 Celsius while I was at work, and the car sat for around 8.5 to 9 hours in the parking lot. This was the worst it has been yet, but it still didn't sound bad while idling, but as soon as I gave it any gas at all, around 1200rpm, it would start to get loud, and only became louder as it approached 2000rpm; I didn't rev any higher. I let it idle for around three minutes, and it was still there if I increased the revs... at four minutes, it was still there. Finally, after about five minutes I turned it off and back on... oddly enough, when the engine started and the tach hit 2500rpm+ (whatever it hits briefly when starting), it sounded normal, but again if I gave it much gas it would get loud, but not as loud, and now only at closer to 1800 or 2000rpm. It had become much more quiet, so I pulled out and started to dive. By now, about seven minutes (or more) had passed, and it was sounding pretty normal. I drove home without any probems.

I don't know what to think at this point.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
dneal
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bishamon - If the sound was a knock, it's a classic symptom of piston slap. Read the Canadian Driver link to understand it, go easy on the motor until it warms up, and don't worry about it.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dneal
Bishamon - If the sound was a knock, it's a classic symptom of piston slap. Read the Canadian Driver link to understand it, go easy on the motor until it warms up, and don't worry about it.
It sounded much like the links posted in the thread on Mini2. I hope that it's only piston slap, but I doubt it.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 AM
korby
6th Gear
Old 12-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by korby
There starting to replace engines ! http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...n-cold-14.html
I'm watching the thread closely. Others have stated that they have had the problem fixed before by replacing parts or repairing things that the dealer said would definitely fix the problem, then jumped in the thread proclaiming the issue was fixed and their car was silent, only to report back later that the sound had returned. Now, it is likely that replacing the entire engine would resolve whatever is causing the problem, but until I know for sure I won't be asking my dealer for a new engine.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Well, if it is an oil problem, such as not enough pressure, pump too slow, oil frothing, this will cause a lot of pre-mature wear on the engine, especially being an aluminum block.

We should all report this to the dealer ASAP, the problem may be sporadic, but some people were running there engines for a pretty long duration before the noise went away.

I've been paying close attention to mine, it hasn't done what it did that one time, (lasting for about a minute), but if a listen real close I can hear that sound for about 1 sec almost every time I start.

The real problem is that this pre-mature wear may not effect replacing parts until the warranty is up. Most engines should last 100K plus, but this may cause our engine to wear out in the 50-60K range, long after the warranty has expired. Of course, maybe by that time there wil be enough people experiencing the problem for them to issue a mandatory service recall and possible extend the warranty if it becomes a very common issue.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:23 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
I went to Mini about the knocking I was getting on cold starting (below 32degs). They keep the car for the day. When I picked it up they said they heard the noise and its normal. They gave me some BS about its a double injection pulse when the engine is cold. I said I know the difference between direct injection pulses and engine knocking. I guess it takes a engine failure for them to see there is an issue. I have a 100k warranty so I hope i'm covered

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
miktvk
1st Gear
that's ridiculous. not normal. my dealer has confirmed that there is indeed something not right, and the regional tech rep has been summoned from new jersey.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Lewis made a HORRID noise yesterday as I went to leave from work. Surprisingly, this was one day that I had driven to lunch, so he only sat for about 4 hours out in the slightly below freezing weather. It was awful, sounded a lot like that video, but went away after a couple minutes. I'll give anything an off day, but if he does that more I'll be calling the dealer to complain of that and the loud ticking (louder than injector solenoids should be) he makes all the time.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
I took mine into Classic MINI and they just reported back that the sounds are normal. I asked if its a normal sound why doesn't it sound like that every time I start the car? Why does it happen when the car is cold and outside temps are cold? Why didn't this happen when I got the car in early March and it was still cold then? He said he would ask the tech and get back to me. They left me a voicemail a few hours later saying the car was ready. But no explanation. Not sure what to do now? I'm no expert, but that sound can't be normal.

I had the car at a local shop that specializes in BMWs and MINIs (Koala Motorsports -- Brett Anderson) which I highly highly recommend. He was working on the lowering kit for mine. And when I was picking the car up he remarked why does your engine sound like death metal when starting? He said take it in immediately, it doesn't sound normal.

What do you do if the dealer says its normal? I told them that the forums are littered with this issue, and they said we prefer the advice of a tech vs. a forum.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by prb44t
Not sure what to do now?
Be polite... but persistant.

If it... no, WHEN it does it again, set up another service appointment.

If you have the opportunity to video/audiotape the issue on start-up (cameraphone?), try that. Play it for the dealer and see what they say. Mine was unable to replicate the problem initially, either. The one time it was there and it did it, though... they kept it for another week trying to figure it out. Thats when the cam chain tensioner was replaced and it's done it once (ever-so-briefly) since.

Again, your attitude will go a long way. Polite but persistant.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miktvk
Ah jeez, this problem hit my car big time just this week, 2200 miles. Checked here found a few posting on same cold-start death rattle, went over to Mini2, found this>>

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...when-cold.html

252 messages in one hair-raising 13-page thread, multiple sound clips included. I didn't even bother searching for others. Gonna call the dealer this week. Very dissappointing.
I'm bummed.

Mine does this when really cold, until its warm. I havent searched out the cause, but I thought it was the heat sheild?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:47 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
I got mine back on Saturday. They changed the VANOS Solenoid valve. They said it was sticking and that caused the problem. It wasn't cold enough until this morning to test, but today when I started the car the sound was back. I guess it will be going back soon.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Mine goes in Thusday for a Friday appointment.

BTW - I have someone from MINI calling me about a post I made in the Owners Lounge under Technical Updates about this very issue (http://on.miniusa.com/topic/Technical-Updates/Rattling-R56s-On/700004819) . Of course, being the Owners
Lounge... no one else ever replied. Might be worth others logging in and posting their experiences as well? Just a thought.

Last edited by msh441; 12-24-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:23 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Add my name to the list. I haven't driven my 2007 MCS for about a week and a half. I park in an underground garage in Dallas. The last week we've had a few days at or just below freezing. I started the car this morning and it made the horrible clattering noise. It sounds like a fan is rubbing against some part or the valves, but nevertheless this shouldn't be classified by the dealers as "normal".

By the way, my car is a May 2007 build w/ 1600 miles on it.

Last edited by kfmuller; 12-25-2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-26-2007, 07:58 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
I posted on the owner's lounge too. Who exactly contacted you from Mini about it and what did they say?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by prb44t
I posted on the owner's lounge too. Who exactly contacted you from Mini about it and what did they say?
A rep from MINI Customer Care (or somthing like that). Been playing phone tag all week. Should have more details tomorrow.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah that sound cannot be normal...i do feel its possible that it could be with the variable timing...maybe a program bug or error? (maybe with a mixture of cold air and cold engine the sensors send a bad message to the engine and the variable timing is changed?) i know if you get your self going at say 5 mph and try and go in 2nd or 3rd (so the end is pulling around 1000 rpm) and you give it gas you can duplicate that sound (variable timing is dumbing a lot more gas to get the car going, but the rpms are so low that it struggles)

Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
this morning it was 34 degrees in Palm Springs. I was headed back to L.A. and the car felt really slugish for the first 20 minutes or so. I didn't get the turbo prop diesel metal sound, but was anticipating it. This really takes the fun out of driving the car, or at least starting it.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
It was about 35 here this morning in Cleveland and I got the sound though for a shorter period of time and less pronounced. From my experience there seems to be a correlation between outside temp and duration/volume of the horrid metal on metal sound. Anyone else see the correlation?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:21 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boy I hope someone figures this out pretty soon. Question? when this happens, what does the exhaust look/smell like? This could offer a clue.

TSBs are also issued when there is an occurence of problems that are previously not on record. For example when I first started experiencing problems with my LOUD dash center-pin rattle there was no TSB, but after 2 visits to the dealer with the same issue over a 6 month period, one finally came out and the problem was fixed.

Been thinking about an R56 once the warranty on my 05 S runs out, but hearing all this I'm not so sure; glad my S has the old, low-tech iron block motor w/o all those VVT bells and whistles. It is the part of my car that's proven itself reliable beyond compare.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Mine went in for service today... accompanied by a detailed description of the problem and a half-dozen videos on a CD. That way I'll hopefully avoid the one-start "sounds normal to us" responce.

Got a Cooper convertible as a loaner and some indication that they would want to keep my car "'till this is sorted out once and for all".

Hope everything works out (crossing fingers).

Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 AM
miktvk
1st Gear
Got a loaner eh? Nice, I got nothing.

Car still sitting there, going on 3 weeks now. All I know so far is they put in a new tensioner, per rep's instructions. Since I've heard nothing, guess it was a no-go. 15 business days out of service=invoke Mass lemon law. Correction, they get 7 days after the initial 15, providing them 'one final repair opportunity'

Wasn't expecting this. Sad.

Last edited by miktvk; 12-28-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
3 weeks? Are they communicating as to what they are doing? or did they do the tensioner and nothing else? They are picking mine up next week. I assume they are dropping off a loaner. Guess I will find out.

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter