Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
calminidad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Folks - My daughter has had this same problem with her 07 S this winter and last. Its in the shop as we speak - picking it up this afternoon. Its been in a few times with same issue but this is the first time they have given her a reason ( which seems to be the frozen throttle valve problem ) and a solution that is being worked on by the BMW engineers ( in Winnipeg?) Service manager said they are working on a heated throttle valve replacement. Anybody else hear of this?? Hopefully get more info later!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
SABREFAN
Neutral
I have not heard of that. MY dealer ordered a newly designed intake that took about a week to get.It has a new design that does not let the moister
collect & freeze around the throttle body. so far so good. we will see what happens after a week or so.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Ok so after surviving the remainder of last winter without issues (my posts are on page 1 of this thread) and so far this winter with temps as low as -16 in the morning, my car does this to me this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniVI806x-A

I drove the car acting like this my 5-6 miles into work today - it was EXCRUCIATINGLY slow and embarrassing- at each stoplight my car would oscillate and backfire and there was nothing I could do...

I still fall into the short commute distance but I haven't changed anything this winter so why would it be OK at -16 but NOT OK at +15????

Last winter I had the fix of a new throttle body and then went back in for the 'fix' of a new evaporator set up for the throttle body...

Obviously none of this is working... my MINI dealer didn't even want me to bring the car in... there isn't anything they can do...

I am really at my wits end with this... its just so disappointing

Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
torobud
4th Gear
Ohhh and on top of it all I also have the 'Cold Start Rattle' referenced in soooo many other threads...

Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
AkFarina
Banned
a great idea would be to use better oil for the cold if my car does it again thats what i will try.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What better oil would you use? And what makes you think that this problem is caused by a frozen turbo?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Psychout
1st Gear
If it is the turbo, then why would it only happen on a turbo MINI cooper S and not any other of the hundreds & thousands of turbo cars out there in the freezing cold Canada (e.g. Audi A3, A4, Subaru's, etc).

I'm still just completely amazed that this car passed a cold weather test...engineers are meant to run this thing in the freezing cold up north for month's on end before they successfully validate them.

Where did MINI/BMW validate the cold weather test?

It's stupid problems like this, that other car manufacturers have worked out the kinks in, which are damaging our resale value on the car.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
nesss
Neutral
Update on removing the cold air snorkel......

Well, I have had more trouble with rough starts and sounding more and more like a diesel, and a few more instances of the CEL light coming on, and the occasional loss of acceleration power when the computer decides that it has a problem..... BUT I have not had any more instances where I have only been able to drive at 20 to 40 kms per hour. And mostly the roughness goes away after the car is driven for a few minutes at higher speed, even when the temps drop to -25 to -35 C. So, at least my mini S is running, if not well. We'll have to see how it goes for the rest of the winter.

I love my mini but I think that it is just about time to go shopping for something more reliable. EKG, I'm with you.... It would be great if BMW would buy the car back... But given that anything that I have forwarded to the manager of our dealership here has been ignored... I am not going to count on it.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 PM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nesss
I love my mini but I think that it is just about time to go shopping for something more reliable. EKG, I'm with you.... It would be great if BMW would buy the car back... But given that anything that I have forwarded to the manager of our dealership here has been ignored... I am not going to count on it.
I'm actually going to start the process of having them buy mine back. I think I might try out a justacooper as they don't have the issue. I'll have to drive a manual and see if I like it. I've driven the automatic justacooper and hated that.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM
rellik666
1st Gear
Sorry haven't read the whole thread but it seems that these may help you guys.

Basically my mate had the turbo stop working, running rich, excess fuel consumption etc...as well as the timing chain (rattle) problem...has had a whole new engine fitted!

Anyhow, these are threads from MINI2 and 207 GTI forums....same engine you know! It appears to be a CAM timing issue..anyhow...hop they help

http://www.207oc.com/index.php/topic,1282.135.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-f...r-4300rpm.html

Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Optimum CableGuy
2nd Gear
You can add me to the list.......I was abit confused when it happened the first time at 0 degrees. Got the CEL, let it warm abit, shut it off, restarted and drove to work. Cleared the CEL with the scan gauge( probably should have written it down, I 'm sure it will happen again, based on what I have read here) I'll have to ask the dealer( 30,000 mile service and state inspection coming up)

Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
Update from Mini Winnipeg today (they have had my 07 MCS since Dec 18). Apparently the new intake manifold fix is not working, and they are waiting for Mini to come up with another solution. They have no ETA on fixing my car, and do not plan to give it back until a solution is found.

At least I have a rental that runs, and they have agreed to cover the additional insurance I have been paying on the rental.

I am almost ready to return the car and get something else. Any suggestions on an all season performance car to replace it with?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
AkFarina
Banned
Originally Posted by paulsminis
What better oil would you use? And what makes you think that this problem is caused by a frozen turbo?
boost gauge wouldn't move up at all. got out my car and felt the turbo and i didn't feel or sound like it was spooling up at all. and the oil would just be of lighter weight made for the cold.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
andcbii
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BlackinBlue
Update from Mini Winnipeg today (they have had my 07 MCS since Dec 18). Apparently the new intake manifold fix is not working, and they are waiting for Mini to come up with another solution. They have no ETA on fixing my car, and do not plan to give it back until a solution is found.

At least I have a rental that runs, and they have agreed to cover the additional insurance I have been paying on the rental.

I am almost ready to return the car and get something else. Any suggestions on an all season performance car to replace it with?
I just got a call from my dealer today and they are going to replace my intake manifold. seeing your post doesn't make me too happy. I hope this will fix my problem. Sorry to hear it didn't help you

Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by andcbii
I just got a call from my dealer today and they are going to replace my intake manifold. seeing your post doesn't make me too happy. I hope this will fix my problem. Sorry to hear it didn't help you
Don't want to rain on your parade but I had the manifold replaced in December and still have the issue. And I believe the redesigned manifold is on all 09s by default, and I think I've seen some 09s pop up with the issue here on this board.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mine did it again today. (6F this morning) I'm going to call and see what they think.

I just let it warm up and drove to work, so I don't want to let them keep my car for who knows how long waiting on a fix. I'd rather deal with it once in a while and otherwise enjoy my car!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:14 AM
andcbii
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ekg
Don't want to rain on your parade but I had the manifold replaced in December and still have the issue. And I believe the redesigned manifold is on all 09s by default, and I think I've seen some 09s pop up with the issue here on this board.
Well that sucks...

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 AM
ekg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by andcbii
Well that sucks...
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
calminidad
Neutral
Daughter got her mini back the other day from service - same old thing cleaned out throttle valve condensation - oil change because of water in oil ( that concerns me!) cleared fault memory and handed car back to her. Engineers in Winnipeg working on a fix...nothing yet! 2 years into warranty - second winter with same problem! Now it is becoming a safety issue for us. -25c in an empty parking lot after work at 3 in the morning and she has trouble getting the car running - limping home on the highway is not safe! We raise our concerns with dealership everytime we take car in and although they are sympathetic nothing has been done! Sorry for the rant - just a concerned parent.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so, for those having this problem has Mini been changing the oil when or if there is water found in it?

I have an appt. booked mid Feb. for this issue again but the first time I took it in they didn't mention having to change the oil. I hope they do change it since it is probably common for Mini's having this issue. It has happened 3 more times since I have took it in the first time. But, I have been able to restart it hours after clearing the CEL and/or being able to drive it with the yellow CEL on.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Slightly Grey
Neutral
Had mine in three times in the last three weeks. They have changed the oil and filter every time (3 times in 500 miles). Dealer called today and wants me to bring it in next week to have the intake manifold changed. I'll give it a try, but I'm not holding my breath...

08 MCS, PW/PW, Sport, LSD, JCW tuning kit, Roof Racks, SGII

Old 02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
BlackinBlue
1st Gear
Calminidad let me know what happens with yours. I spoke to the sales mgr on Thurs, and he was sympathetic. I told him my story, and he said "at least we are paying your lease payments while it is here though." I paid cash - so no.

I am rather remorseful about the car. Not only did I give them 30K for the car, they still have it!

My problem is now rather simple - if I want to sell the car, and get something that works in the winter in Winnipeg - is am stuck, because they have it, and won't give it back. Can't sell a car that won't run. I have asked the dealer to give me my options.

I will let you know what the "options" are. This car is making my Alfa Spider look reliable.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
ngorongoro
Neutral
Originally Posted by BlackinBlue
Calminidad let me know what happens with yours. I spoke to the sales mgr on Thurs, and he was sympathetic. I told him my story, and he said "at least we are paying your lease payments while it is here though." I paid cash - so no.

I am rather remorseful about the car. Not only did I give them 30K for the car, they still have it!

My problem is now rather simple - if I want to sell the car, and get something that works in the winter in Winnipeg - is am stuck, because they have it, and won't give it back. Can't sell a car that won't run. I have asked the dealer to give me my options.

I will let you know what the "options" are. This car is making my Alfa Spider look reliable.
I too am working with Mini Winnipeg. I have told the dealer I want BMW/Mini to buy back my car.

Hopefully there is strength in numbers and BMW/Mini will realize the significance of the problem. Lets keep pushing the dealer to assist us in the fight.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
calminidad
Neutral
We haven't discussed a buy back from Mini yet but certainly would look into that if this problem isn't dealt with soon - My daughter would have a hard time getting rid of the car especially when the warmer weather comes around and she forgets about the cold weather problem but I would not want this continuing into next winter - she worries every time she gets into the car after work when it gets cold.

Service hasn't done anything to engine whenever it's in other than clean throttle valve as per Mini's recommendation - no mention of intake manifold change. I don't think they want to keep the car there for long as there probably isn't room what with all the others in for same problem. Mini Calgary only has one loaner car for servicing ( they offer a shuttle to and from dealer but thats kind of inconvenient when working ). Let me know if you all get anywhere with dealer. thanks

Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this happen twice last week. MINI of Peabody did the cleaning routine and have ordered one of the redesigned intake manifolds that will be installed once it arrives.

Quick Reply: Yellow engine light - full engine power no longer available