Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Check Engine Light & Code Display on OBC

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Tallman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow CEL

4 hours?! Yikes. Guess I don't feel so bad living within 76 miles. MINIUSA didn't say, and I didn't ask, about how long I could drive it - with the yellow light. Ummmm, suggest calling them. I finally drove mine in to dealer yesterday - without a problem.

I have been told of one person who, similar to you, drove around quite a bit with a CEL on. He wound up causing a LOT of damage to the engine. Not meant to scare you - driving habits differ. Still, suggestion is to arrange an appointment soon, eh?

I now have a loaner in my garage. Its an automatic "justa", and RED in color. I'll have to take a photo. Hope for happy endings to both of us.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Sabastian
1st Gear
I've got an appointment scheduled for Monday, and I don't plan on driving much (if at all) until then. I talked to my SA at the dealer, and he said that it should be fine since I'm not actually noticing any differences in performance. I doubt a few hours of highway loafing will be very taxing on the engine.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Tallman
3rd Gear
CEL

I just drove my MINI home!
Home! Home! And she'll never run away again! Cuz we all love her! Oh Auntie Emm, Auntie Emm! (teehee, couldn't resist)

They found the DTML (Diagnosis Module for Tank Leakage) was stuck/malfunctioning. It's in the fuel tank, monitors leaks, open fuel caps, etc. I drove it home - no lights, no problems, ..... lots of smiles .

I now have 526 miles. Onward, to the 1,200 break-in time.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
DAN S
Neutral
Mini started running very poorly 3cycliners or less,nearest dealer 80 miles away and no time to get her there.Took Mini to my ace mechanic,who usualy works on only Mercs or BMW,to check her out and fowned 2 defective spark plugs! The seramic middle part was loose!!! Replaced all 4 plugs now Mini runs smooth as silk.She still had the ck eng. light on, he couldn't get it off,(needes up date on his scanner)next night Mini reset the light on her own. Cost me some $$$ but save me a bunch of hasle and I knew I had a pro working on her.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 AM
rsburger13
Neutral
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose - was it difficult to get the dealer to change out the fuel injectors on your car? I am having the same problem and they say it just needs a fuel injector cleaning but I don't buy it. It happened 3 months ago too. If the one's in it are faulty and need a new model I think Mini should cover it. Thanks for any info. Please post back ASAP if you can.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
stu-f
Neutral
Hello, new mini owner, just picked up an '04 on Saturday. I was driving home to Idaho (from Phoenix area) and I got the yellow check engine soon light. How do i find the code number you all are referering to? Thanks for the help.

--Update-- Be sure to tighten the fuel cap until it clicks! There's even a warning on the cap indicating that the "check engine light may come on if not fully tightened".... or something like that. Tightened until it clicked and the warning light went out!

Last edited by stu-f; 02-16-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
hadley85
Neutral
Originally Posted by stu-f
Hello, new mini owner, just picked up an '04 on Saturday. I was driving home to Idaho (from Phoenix area) and I got the yellow check engine soon light. How do i find the code number you all are referering to? Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure if your 04 Mini has that feature, you would have to ask in the first Gen section but good luck with your mini

Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM
BzB
Neutral
CC 031 Check Engine Light On

Originally Posted by inomis
I'm getting the outline yellow check engine light. With the engine running, I go to the Check-Info section of the OBC and with the yellow engine outline displayed I hold the stalk button for about 10 seconds and get the code "CC-ID 031". Does anyone know what that means? I had not seen anywhere else that you could get codes from the OBC so I'm not sure if it's directly related or not.

Hi, I get this code every now and then as well -- usually when it is damp out. I had it reset by the dlr twice. The last time it reset it self -- Intuitive Mini! I think it may be an oxygen sensor.... not sure thought -- BzB

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM
vandelay
1st Gear
I just had this issue and it was due to a broken spark plug on cylinder number 3. Some quick troubleshooting on my dealers part and I am out motoring again. Thumbs up to Keeler Mini! Great job!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
09 MCS with 34,000 miles. Yellow light came on last week. Was scheduled for service today anyway and it was running fine so dealer said they'll check today. So then they call and say engine was mis-firing. Initial diagnostics don't show problem so they need to run more. Ok to drive but bringing in back on 6th when they can get me a loaner.

They said diagnostics will take at least 1 full day. Boy that is a lot of diagnostics for a day - probably have to pull parts off engine. Car seems to run fine but we'll see what they find and fix.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
leriggio
Neutral
Cc-id 345

This has recently popped up on my 2007 Mini (Hammer & Coop) took it to dealer, replaced a bulb over back license plate took the car home, without the icon popping up again. I moved my car same day icon has returned.

Does anyone know what this could be. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light & Code Display on OBC-dscn1757.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
kmckmc
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is for my 2008 R55 Cooper Clubman (less than 12000miles driven).

Clubman's engine was behaving a little bit rough on the way home last night. Before I arrived home, the Check Engine Light lit (not the flashing kind). I ignored it.

This morning, I tried to find out what happened. I turned on ignition, the CEL was still on. The Check-Info section of the OBC got the code "CC-ID 031". I then turned off the engine; the whole idling was less than 1 min.

The engine fan continued to be on even when the engine was shut off. The fan was on for about 3 min.

Any ideas as to what happened to my Clubman?

=====
=====

OK, it turned out that the COOLANT TEMP SENSOR was faulty. After a coolant sensor replacement, the Clubbie is now normal.
A new coolant temp sensor is about 20USD. My mechanic charged me 30USD for the installation.

Last edited by kmckmc; 12-20-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
HFDShep
Neutral
Engine light

I just bought a 2008 MiniCooper S(used) and on the way home the engine light came on.. Should I be afraid?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
bolton
1st Gear
just adding my experience with CC-ID 031 to this thread:

I had a CC-ID 031 with my check engine light at 29k miles on my 2008 MCS.
Called up the dealership and they said I should bring it in "sooner than later". So 60 miles later I was able to bring it in.

When I brought it in I also mentioned that I thought the engine seemed a little rough at idle and was louder than normal.

They verified my concerns, found the timing chain had some stretch to it and went ahead and performed SI M11 02 07 (aka: Death rattle service).

The SA then told me that that is what was causing my CC-ID 031. And replacing the timing chain, guides/rails, tensioner bolt (with updated version), etc. took care of the fault code.

Thank goodness for warranties.. I bought this car used under the "MINI NEXT" program (certified pro-owned) and am glad I did. whew.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
bean_counter
1st Gear
My daughter was driving yesterday, 'Shermie' ran very rough and the CEL came on; she immediately parked it. When I got there, checked and found the CC ID 031 code.

I tightened the gas cap, topped off the oil - was down 1 quart; delivered standard fatherly lecture on cheking oil more often . Started it a few times, seemed smooth; I drove it home ~5 miles without issue. CEL light had reset itself this morning.

Not sure what caused the roughness, maybe a slug of condensate in the system, it's that time of year. With the CEL reset/off, I'm inclined to think it was a one time event.

Looks like it used 1 quart of oil (or a bit less) in 4k miles; not great, but I have had worse.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Nochaz01
1st Gear
My wife's car kicked this code a couple of weeks ago. Love this car but man it is touchy. She drives it 5-10 miles to work and home each day so she is key for one of those cars that builds up carbon quickly. We have had the code come on a couple years ago where the engine lost power, they did the walnut treatment for build up. This time though I feel no loss of power in any way. Either way just for kicks I bought some BG 44K fuel system cleaner to run through it and have still not found the light extinguished. Guess its time to call the dealer and find out what the real deal is. Could be painful since its out of warranty as of last November. Other thought is if there is a way to get a code reader on it, I understand that there are underlying codes that can be read through the OBC?