Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is very hot, and the clearshield is starting to bubble a bit right above the hood scoop as a result. If it gets any worse I'll have to take it in.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the list. Mine is melted. 08 Clubman. 13k miles.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Well at the start of the thread I wasn't having issues, but after another hot summer in Atlanta, and less than 1 year old the intake is warping.

Most likely I am going to rectify this myself and just pickup a carbon fibre intake. I would assume cf would be able to handle the heat much better then plastic and it looks so much better anyway .

Wish I could get mini to kick in some of the price its going to take to replace.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Sagging hood scoop here, too. Just a little so far, but Piper is only 3months old.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Leaking washer jets, which have stained both black bonnet stripes on my 2007 MCSm. Dealer is installing the washer jet fix and replacing both stripes on Tuesday.

So far I've had no issues with the scoop, and I've had my car since Oct 07. The scoop is currently fully blocked, which I'll need to rectify soon. I haven't noticed excessive heat, but I'll check for it.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Just noticed last night washing the car that the scoop is absolutely deformed. Can't believe I didn't notice it before.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
earlbowman
Neutral
Another Melted Hood Scoop

Add my Wife's 2007 MCS to the melted hood scoop club. Top dead center. Ours came with the partially openned scoop, but no joy. Just noticed it last week after keeping a close eye on it for the last year. Took 14 months but it's definitely there now. I figured Bakersfield summer temps might do the job, but it made it through the summer OK, go figure. Probably fortunate timing, my warrenty is up in another 4000 miles. (Extended Warrenty kicks in after that.) I'll be calling the dealer this week. Ugh!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:24 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by earlbowman
Add my Wife's 2007 MCS to the melted hood scoop club. Top dead center. Ours came with the partially openned scoop, but no joy. Just noticed it last week after keeping a close eye on it for the last year. Took 14 months but it's definitely there now. I figured Bakersfield summer temps might do the job, but it made it through the summer OK, go figure. Probably fortunate timing, my warrenty is up in another 4000 miles. (Extended Warrenty kicks in after that.) I'll be calling the dealer this week. Ugh!

The only problem is the dealer will replace it with another defective quality hood scoop....

Hmmmm, just like the sunroof issue. No fix, just keep replacing crap with crap.

I can't believe that with the customer following that Mini has that they aren't making any attempts to fix their problems.

Mark

Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM
GregO
4th Gear
scoop

Originally Posted by orangecrush
The only problem is the dealer will replace it with another defective quality hood scoop....

Hmmmm, just like the sunroof issue. No fix, just keep replacing crap with crap.
I can't believe that with the customer following that Mini has that they aren't making any attempts to fix their problems.
Mark
Almost seems like the Mini motto is to replace OEM crap with crap until the warranty expires. Nice.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
Almost seems like the Mini motto is to replace OEM crap with crap until the warranty expires. Nice.
I hate to say so but..... history keeps repeating itself.

It's obvious at this point that the sunroof is an issue. Instead of doing mickey mouse "adjustments" and useless replacements with the same incorrect materials, why not issue a statement that they are working on it and will notify all mini customers when it's fixed.

I'll tell you why, because it's been 3 years for the R56 and they still don't have a solution... you know why? BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT WORKING ON IT!!!

It doesn't take BMW/MINI 3 entire years to come up with a fix for a problem if they wanted to. It's no different on the earlier mushrooming issue on older minis and it's no different than hood scoops.

A member in a previous thread said "don't expect perfection"....

That's just BS. I expect my sunroof to work nearly all the time. The odd day that it doesn't work would be a quirk and liveable however, there are many people with this problem that it happens everyday that the weather is over 92'ish degrees.

I used the sunroof issue as an example because it's far (IMO) more serious of an issue than a melting hoodscoop. The scoop is purely cosmetic, the sunroof is functional and for a $30K+ car, I expect these things to be fixed if not working correctly when bought.

But hey, why should Mini fix them, they still sell cars... **** the consumer.

Mark

Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
They were forced to "fix" the tail pipe burning issue so what does that tell you? Until someone forces them to fix the other issues, well, ........

Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI must be doing something right. They are going to open up 10 new dealerships in the first quarter of 2010. They will then have a total of 93. Year to date sales are up 30% and they are raising the price 10% on the new models.

I guess when you have a good product overall you can charge more for it.

They are also going to open up some exclusive dealerships in major metro areas. For instance Seattle, Boston, San Diego etc.

So in this time of recession where most other manufacturers are down 30 to 40 % including the imports, Honda and Toyota, it defies the norm.

But if you have a good product that poeple want we'll there you go.

If you have a subscription to Automotive News you can read all about it. The information was taken from Auto News dated December 15, 2008.

I have 2 MINi's on ships and can't wait to receive them.

Happy motoring!!

Pat

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
nice lets stay on topic.

anyone taken out the scoop insert?..the little grille thing. Mine has holes but not many..maybe ill drill the rest out

So far its fine, just being proactive

Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
nice lets stay on topic.

anyone taken out the scoop insert?..the little grille thing. Mine has holes but not many..maybe ill drill the rest out

So far its fine, just being proactive
Doesn't help....
Here, I started removing them.

Name:  IMAGE_090.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  81.3 KB

Here's the rest removed...

Name:  IMAGE_091.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  95.4 KB

Not only was I trying to be proactive, I installed an aluminum heat shield (protective padding) to the bottom side AND installed a carbon fiber scoop.

Still warped. (not as much but still did)

Mark

Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
ah i found a thread finally lol

hmm.. i was thinking maybe just using a drill for holes, but turbo wrap and a nice m7 shield will help before summer officially arrives.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
ah i found a thread finally lol

hmm.. i was thinking maybe just using a drill for holes, but turbo wrap and a nice m7 shield will help before summer officially arrives.
I honestly think that is the only true solution. It's a shame that we have to spend 200+ dollars to buy a shield just to prevent our scoops from working.

IMO, that should be a recall and Mini should be paying that bill.

But hey, they can't even fix the sunroof issue, they sure as hell won't fix something as minor as a warped scoop.

Mark

Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minicarma67
Well at the start of the thread I wasn't having issues, but after another hot summer in Atlanta, and less than 1 year old the intake is warping.

Most likely I am going to rectify this myself and just pickup a carbon fibre intake. I would assume cf would be able to handle the heat much better then plastic and it looks so much better anyway .

Wish I could get mini to kick in some of the price its going to take to replace.
Replying to my own thread for update. I took mine in and showed the service rep, he said yup its warped, we will replace it. They ordered a new one in, painted it and installed. Free of Charge. Wasn't a carbon fibre one but at least its not warped any more.

He did say that he has replaced several and with the new replacement version he hasn't replaced a single new one. Not sure if its stronger plastic, he didn't go into much detail. But Mini does know and is replacing them, guess its really up to the dealer. I know some dealers are horrible, but the one in atlanta (for me) rocks. No complaints, anything wrong or needs fixed/replaced they jump right on it.

Working now on the TSB for the tire sensors going off even when all are the same due to rapid tempurature changes. like atlanta has seen, one day 80, next day 10.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 AM
yubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minicarma67
Replying to my own thread for update. I took mine in and showed the service rep, he said yup its warped, we will replace it. They ordered a new one in, painted it and installed. Free of Charge. Wasn't a carbon fibre one but at least its not warped any more.

He did say that he has replaced several and with the new replacement version he hasn't replaced a single new one. Not sure if its stronger plastic, he didn't go into much detail. But Mini does know and is replacing them, guess its really up to the dealer. I know some dealers are horrible, but the one in atlanta (for me) rocks. No complaints, anything wrong or needs fixed/replaced they jump right on it.

Working now on the TSB for the tire sensors going off even when all are the same due to rapid tempurature changes. like atlanta has seen, one day 80, next day 10.
You wouldn't happen to have a part number from the paperwork would you?

From RealOEM the Jan09 catalog still shows the same part number for the hood scoop for cars from 2007 :

02 Air inlet hood primed From 07/2007 Part Number: 51132757694
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&hg=51&fg=20

Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Subscribed. Since I don't have my Mini yet (haven't even ordered it), but plan to buy one this year, I'll be watching this thread closely. This sounds like a major issue for S owners...EEK!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
Anybody having these issues with '09 Scoops? I've heard MINI changed the material and it's not "supposed" to happen anymore.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappleLlama
Subscribed. Since I don't have my Mini yet (haven't even ordered it), but plan to buy one this year, I'll be watching this thread closely. This sounds like a major issue for S owners...EEK!
I'm not sure I would call THIS a major issue although if your scoop melts then it really sucks. IMO there are other more pressing issues...

Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 AM
SnappleLlama
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I'm not sure I would call THIS a major issue although if your scoop melts then it really sucks. IMO there are other more pressing issues...
It's a major issue for the Mini, though ! Having a melted bonnet sounds terrible...if you were a Mini, how would you feel about having a melted scoop? You'd probably be so depressed that you'd lose your inherent Mini "spirit!"

Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by n733lk
Anybody having these issues with '09 Scoops? I've heard MINI changed the material and it's not "supposed" to happen anymore.

so far so good here... my scoop feels strong as heck, so maybe theyre thicker

Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
so far so good here... my scoop feels strong as heck, so maybe theyre thicker
How many miles? What city do you live in?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 AM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yubman
You wouldn't happen to have a part number from the paperwork would you?

From RealOEM the Jan09 catalog still shows the same part number for the hood scoop for cars from 2007 :

02 Air inlet hood primed From 07/2007 Part Number: 51132757694
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...36&hg=51&fg=20
That's the part number they are showing on the work order:
Customer states hood scoop is melting. pls install SOP in car. Cause: Air Inlet ( inluding grille ) on bonnet poor surface finish duct, bonnet
50131 wcm
1 51-13-2-757-694 air inlet hood primed:511311
fc: 5113307800
n/c

Is the replacement part the same part number they install from factory?
If its the same, it'll get redone again until the warrenty expires and I will get the carbon fibre one myself.

Quick Reply: Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!