Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:37 AM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new, but I can give some advice since I went through something similar with a supercharger on my wifes 04 GTO.
The POS magnacharger was running horribly lean, and I had EFI datalogging proof. They refused to do ANYTHING about it. LEAN condition was caused by the S/C getting so hot it would boil/vaporize the gas in the fuel rails. (yah pretty bad ). This was causing loss of HP and lean conditions that were really bad for the engine.

They would not even talk to anyone with the problem. Very poor customer service.
UNTIL Road and Track did a piece on the GTO with their S/C and they ran into horrible overheating and lean conditions and when on the dyno to get HP numbers it was well below advertised numbers.

THEN they finally did some research with R&T and found a workaround.

Perhaps going in a different direction, and getting R&T, Car and Driver or any of the car rags to do a piece. Huge circulations showing something bad happening will get noticed and addressed asap. It did for the GTO.

btw: just fyi, the boot does get hot, but nothing horrible. I can touch it after driving for short or long distances. I am however removing the black grille off the scoop. The dealer did mention this exact issue and said they removed the restrictions to cool it down. perhaps this was the fix and not being really broadcast out??

Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
Strange, my 2007 mcs with 8k on it does not appear to experience these problems. I like to cool the turbo down a litter by idling for about a minute before shutting it off. In 100 degree weather, the cooling fan will run as you would expect for a few seconds and the turbine (water pump) runs for a few second. Recently, with temperatures in the 80's, this does not happen. There is no excessive heat in the cockpit that I can tell, no weeping wipers, and no hood scoop deformities despite running a turbo all summer in Arizona H__Lish tempatures. Just lucky?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is your car's build week?

I don't have any problems like this (week 3), and I don't understand why not. I've noted the same hot temps on the scoop, although I haven't measured them. My car's fan NEVER runs after shutdown, nor does anything else except the clock. No weeping wipers. No deformities, although I am watching this closely. And this is Texas. I don't understand it.

And yes, I DO have a lead foot...

Old 11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
What is your car's build week?

I don't have any problems like this (week 3), and I don't understand why not. I've noted the same hot temps on the scoop, although I haven't measured them. My car's fan NEVER runs after shutdown, nor does anything else except the clock. No weeping wipers. No deformities, although I am watching this closely. And this is Texas. I don't understand it.

And yes, I DO have a lead foot...
My washer nozzles only weep if I have used them prior to parking. They haven't weeped in about two weeks now because I haven't used them to wash the windows.

Interestngly enough, I noticed the drivers side washer nozzle of of friend's 2007 Mustang weeping while we were driving the other day, and he hadn't been using them.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:15 AM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
My fans run after shutdown. Not long enough I would think.
I know with the S/C I had the intercooler pump would run until temps dropped below the temp threshold.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bishamon
My washer nozzles only weep if I have used them prior to parking. They haven't weeped in about two weeks now because I haven't used them to wash the windows.
That's good to know--maybe that's the answer with them, although I understand there is now a checkvalve available for the nozzles.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
valthun
4th Gear
Sorry but the theory that the weeping only occurs after using them is incorrect. I have a non-S and have had weeping on hot days and I did not use the wipers. Particularly when the wild fires were blazing I did not want ash streaks, but a short 1 mile drive resulted in weeping. My SA had never heard of that issue, however the service team is ordering parts for that.

For those with the S I do hope this does get addressed.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
guy goes to the hospital to see the doctor.

"doc," he says, "it hurts like hell when i move my leg like this."

doc say, "then don't move your leg like this!"

honestly ... engines get hot. it's pretty fundamental. and there are nerve receptors in your hand that can sense heat. my suggestion is: when they sense heat, move your hand.

here is another brief list of things you should not do:

- pour freshly brewed coffee in your lap
- taunt a pit bull
- grab a shark by the tail
- knock over a motorcycle belonging to a hell's angel
- wear sandals while riding a motorcycle
- enlist in the army while anyone named "bush" is occupying the white house

questions?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Cabbagehead
2nd Gear
Have you ever rested your hand on the bonet of a car parked in the sun?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
My SA had never heard of that issue, however the service team is ordering parts for that.
Don't you just HATE hearing that? I think it's something they teach in SA 101. Honestly, I'm tired of this answer, and I've heard others in my area are hearing it too, from the same dealer, and on the same problems.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:26 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabbagehead
Have you ever rested your hand on the bonet of a car parked in the sun?
No, but let me guess: it's really hot. Have you ever kicked over a motorcycle belonging to a 250 lb Hell's Angel?

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-06-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turbo is right under the bonnet. It gets hot. It's supposed to. If you don't ever hear your fan running and you don't hear the oil pump running after shut-down, something is wrong.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Dennis H.
1st Gear
Mine built 07/05/07 gets very hot.
As a side not my wifes non turbo six cylinder 2002 Subaru wagon hood gets very hot too and has actually melted the paint off in spots, looks bad.
I think the mini will eventy burn the paint to as hot as it gets. It will burn your hand.
Dennis

Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM
mosbyghost
Neutral
Until I found this site and this particular thread, I thought I just wasn't drying my new car well enough after a fresh wash. My wiper jets have weeped on occasion and now that you mention it, it was usually on hotter days and after driving around. I've only had my 07 MCS since late August and now that the weather is much cooler here I haven't noticed it in a while.

I haven't had the urge to feel the bonnet after a long ride but I suspect it is getting hot due to the weeping. Something does run for a while after shutting off - fan maybe? But not in this cooler weather. I'm not concerned about that until something starts to melt or deform though. I don't have a habit of touching my car all over the place after driving it.

There is a fix for the weeping? I'm about 2 hours away from my dealer. Will have to save it for the maintenance trip.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
I measured the highest temperature tonight since getting an IR thermometer last week; it was 185 F after turning the car off a few minutes earlier. The temperature in the garage was around 58 F, so I can only assume that the hood above the scoop will be quite a bit hotter with temperatures next summer. I haven't been pushing the car, either, since it is still being broken-in.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Stone Age Fix (of sorts)

I hear stuff running under my 07 MCS' (manual) hood when I park and the car is well heated up. So I assume all is functioning properly. I picked up the car in late April; spec ordered.
I know this will probably draw some online laughter, but do any of you guys do what I do when I get home and into the garage?...I immediately OPEN THE HOOD and leave it up for hours; often until the next time I drive the car. I've said this before, I'll say it again...I'm amazed at the long term release of heat from this engine. The garage can be cold (it's an oversized two car garage...I've stuffed three cars in it at times...of course, one of them was a 62 Cooper!) and yet when I go back out in half an hour, the entire garage is quite warmed up. And it goes on for a long time.
If that doesn't suit you, there's always the old hole saw trick. Not only would that be downright UGLY, but the leakage issues.... .
Or you could go old school hot rod...LOUVERS, ANYONE??
I'd be amazed if BMW does one thing about any of this. It's a small compartment, stuffed with a hot running turbo engine (in my case). Heat happens.
I haven't noticed anyone differentiating between S and non S as to heat. Anyone?? I'd expect the non S will be a lot cooler in comparison, of course.

Last edited by surfblue; 11-20-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: build date approximation
Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
korby
6th Gear
^^^ I open mine every time in my garage . Why let it suffer ?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM
ExpatBiker
2nd Gear
not only do i open my hood, i have a special window-mounted A/C with a duct that directs cool, soothing air at the poor overstressed darling. and while it is recuperating, i play classical mozart so that the engine's stress slowly melts away. once a month i take it to an automotive psychiatrist who let's gertrude (yes, i've named it. you have a problem with that?) talk about her struggle to accommodate her dual cultures. tea or beer? crumpets or saurkraut? it is heartwarming to see her make progress dealing with this angst.

gaggg ...

cars get hot. they are cooled by the flow of air passing over their radiators, which carries BTUs away in the breeze. this is all controlled by a thermostat, which regulates the flow of coolant and kicks on a fan when there is insufficient airflow to cool the radiator.

when you park your car in the garage, the flow of air is interrupted, and the thermostat says, "oh ****, the flow of air has been interrupted! i better kick on the fan to cool things down!"

all this is normal and as it should be.

oh, and there is heat under the bonnet. rest assured. internal combustion is a messy, hot business.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Glad that's workin for ya

Well, that's quite the little ritual you've got there, Gary. Me...after opening the hood, I just go get a cold bottle of ale and cool MYSELF down.

I have now listened closely, but I am unable to hear my thermostat SPEAK. What was your build week? I will have to speak to my MA about this!!

Sorry to have caused you to gag. You must have a tough time with much of this board. I know I do. Or is that how you keep that girlish figure?

But thank you so much for sharing the wisdom of your people; i.e., "cars get hot". Is this board an invaluable resource or what?? I'm on my way to the Last Record Store to buy some Mozart. Via the longest twistiest route, of course.

Originally Posted by ExpatBiker
not only do i open my hood, i have a special window-mounted A/C with a duct that directs cool, soothing air at the poor overstressed darling. and while it is recuperating, i play classical mozart so that the engine's stress slowly melts away. once a month i take it to an automotive psychiatrist who let's gertrude (yes, i've named it. you have a problem with that?) talk about her struggle to accommodate her dual cultures. tea or beer? crumpets or saurkraut? it is heartwarming to see her make progress dealing with this angst.

gaggg ...

cars get hot. they are cooled by the flow of air passing over their radiators, which carries BTUs away in the breeze. this is all controlled by a thermostat, which regulates the flow of coolant and kicks on a fan when there is insufficient airflow to cool the radiator.

when you park your car in the garage, the flow of air is interrupted, and the thermostat says, "oh ****, the flow of air has been interrupted! i better kick on the fan to cool things down!"

all this is normal and as it should be.

oh, and there is heat under the bonnet. rest assured. internal combustion is a messy, hot business.

Last edited by surfblue; 11-21-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by surfblue
I have now listened closely, but I am unable to hear my thermostat SPEAK. What was your build week? I will have to speak to my MA about this!!
I've never heard it, either. This is what has confused me all along. Mine's a week 3.

I used to have an Audi Fox (bad car!). I heard the fan after shutdown all the time on that car. It had no turbo, either.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
I have yet to hear the fan on my MCS. I do hear a barely audible noise which I believe to be the water pump for the turbo, which runs for around five minutes before clicking off, but the fan has never run after shutdown.

The temperature continues to climb for 20 minutes or so after shutdown, which is much longer than the fan has ever run on any car I have owned.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will post here now that I have my car.
After 20 min drive home the hood was very warm just to the rear of the hood scoop. I also noticed water marks coming from one of the washer jets.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Ask your SA about the check valve available for the washer jets. Also, if you have white stripes the fluid will stain them.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 PM
minibayb
1st Gear
Not only white stripes, mine has black ones and they stained also.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
valthun
4th Gear
I just had my jets replaced today. Fortunately it didn't get to the point of staining my stripes.

Quick Reply: Need everyone's help: blazing HOT bonnet problem MINI/BMW won't fix!