Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Front wheel bearing/hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
bigdaddyslip
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issue has been uncovered. There is a part change after 04-06 for the wheel bearings and it looks like I got the earlier model as my mini was made on 06-06. So the reluctor ring is different and sending a false message to the traction control module "thinking" the tires are spinning.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 AM
lizandrooo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just swapped my wheel bearing hub out and Torqued everything in accordance to the Bentley Manual. Finally that 50 MPH drone is no more, The creak when I make a deep left turn is gone, and the klunk from going over bumps/potholes has dissappeared! What sucks is that it took me a good 4 or so hours since I had to improvise with tools and hit up walmart (autozone was closed) for other tools. It really helps to have a short extension to remove the hub bolts. I also used a pneumatic gun to remove the giant center nut. Very very very happy at this point. If I were to continue to observe the wheel, what kind of sounds or things of that nature should I be conscious about ?

Originally Posted by bigdaddyslip
The issue has been uncovered. There is a part change after 04-06 for the wheel bearings and it looks like I got the earlier model as my mini was made on 06-06. So the reluctor ring is different and sending a false message to the traction control module "thinking" the tires are spinning.

Wow! Glad you figured out your problem. Ill be sure to keep this in mind next time I repair or help in reparing a HUB.

Originally Posted by sonichris
those go in there dry. if you want you can put some anti-seize on the splines to make removing the axles easier in the future.
Exactly what I did :D

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Johnringgold
Neutral
Broken plastic sensor...

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten from this thread. Once I removed the hub on the passenger side, there was a piece of square plastic hanging down into the hole and the axle wouldn't fit back into the hole to match up with the new hub. I thought it was a stop of some type, but after messing with it to try to figure out what it was, I accidentally broke it off. I replaced the hub and now my ABS, brake and tire lights are on.

I assume this was the ABS/speed sensor? Would/could this sensor be low enough to be extending into this area? Or is it something else?

BTW, I have a 2002 Mini.

Thanks for any help you can give me so I can get this fixed correctly.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM
kpeen931
2nd Gear
I believe it is the abs I just replaced my hub assembly last sunday I used alot of pb blaster and a impact torx that you hit with a hammer. And I got a little movement and did the tighten spray loosen what it would tighten spray loosen to get it off.

But as for that tab I thought it was 5he abs sensor how did you brake it off my axle went right up to it and the hub bolted right up. It wasnt in the way ? Also did you buy the right hub assembly they asked me if it was the one with or without abs I dont know if it made a difference but there was a without abs hub assembly

Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Johnringgold
Neutral
broken sensor

The sensor was hanging down in the way of the axle. When I lightly wiggled it to see what it was, about 3/8" of it came off in my fingers.

Do you guys think this was the ABS/speed sensor? Is there anything else it could be? I wanna go get the new part today, but am not sure what to ask for.

I found a video on Youtube on how to change this sensor, but in the video the guy was working on the drivers side and had a heck of a time removing it. It there one on the passenger side also and is it possible for it to drop down that low? In the video it was removed from the top.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
ABS sensor.

The ABS sensor tend to stick the the top of the axle knuckle. When you pull on the ABS sensor, which set right up against the back of the wheel bearing pretty close, it will most likely break or crack.

For the front:

#2 is the ABS sensor which connects to the top of #5 near the wheel bearing. Follow the dotted line. #7 is the wheel bearing

Here is the ABS sensor and here is the wheel bearings. When you replace the wheel bearing there is sometimes build up with gunk on the sensor which scraps it . Make sure the sensor are not damaged and clean them off with a towel. Also clean out the area where the old wheel bearing was.

Here are the parts.

This wheel bearing is production up to 7/2006.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31226756889/

Front ABS sensor . One for each wheel.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/34526756384/

Thanks and hope that helps.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Johnringgold
Neutral
Broken Sensor...

PERFECT, that is exactly the diagram and description I was looking for. thank you so much!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
You are welcome .

Hope you can get things fixed and get your MINI back on the road.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-29-2016, 01:27 PM
dakdar
Neutral
I have a similar issue happening on my 06 S. I have a scanner that can show me live readings of wheels speed, I took it for a drive and one sensor (front right) seems to jump from 10 km/hr to 40 km/hr while the rest remain consistant at 40km/hr. I have already replaced both front speed sensors with VDO sensors. Is it possible the bearing just needs to be cleaned up on the back face where the sensor reads? Anyone experience this before?