Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'kay, thanks!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks oldopelguy !My brother had an old Opel station wagon in the 70's (dont know what year the car was)it was two tone green and purple the purple was'nt metalic it was glitter stuck to the wet paint .You could see the road through the floor board .

Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by oldopelguy
I took a couple:
That's exactly how mine looked.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
That's exactly how mine looked.
Something we all can look forward to !

Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
Something we all can look forward to !

The MINI enthusiast shall not yield to pain brought forth by second degree burns on thine hands. They shall not yelp when branded by thine exhaust tips. These are rites of passage that any true motorist shall take in stride as part of the pursuit of pure motoring.

We are melted, we are blistered, we are branded.

We are MINI.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
korby
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnBLZ
The MINI enthusiast shall not yield to pain brought forth by second degree burns on thine hands. They shall not yelp when branded by thine exhaust tips. These are rites of passage that any true motorist shall take in stride as part of the pursuit of pure motoring.

We are melted, we are blistered, we are branded.

We are MINI.
Someone had a little to much Kool-Aid ?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by korby
Someone had a little to much Kool-Aid ?
Someone's just inspired by his exhaust scar

Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
korby
6th Gear
Crescent Moon!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duffer
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but is this problem limited to the MCS. Have MC owners had this problem?
There's no turbo on the Cooper, so no problem. It's the hot hot turbo that's causing the hot bonnet issue as it cools off.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Jinxy,

Your thread is getting really messy over there, not much different than other threads. Please update the first post with the first line stating for only reports is meant to be posted and a link to this discussion along with it. If you see my post, it would be nice if everyone followed the same format, with reports of problems and actions taken, all with dates accompanying it.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:17 PM
seoulski
1st Gear
I think these IR scanners belong in the wife's kitchen for checking the Turkey. The bonnet is hot to touch. The engine is hot to touch. The turbo is close to the hood which makes it hot. We all bought a PERFORMANCE car.

The engine will be hot, the turbo will make it hotter. The exhaust tips will burn you. Should we have the GOV step in and place big yellow warning stickers next to these? Please keep your children and loved ones away from these areas.

I live in South Korea. I don't appreciate people "touching" my vehicles. Mostly because we get a lot of dust and when "touching" they tend to leave a mark. Requiring cleaning on my part.

I have a motorcycle here. The engine and exhaust is exposed, and will likely burn your skin off. I have had many Koreans (they love to touch things lol) burn themselves "touching" my exhaust tips, and then complain. My friend has an 07S and recently burned his ankle on the exhaust tips. Guess what. It's very hot. Surprise.

Sorry......Is any of this in the MINI Owner's Manual? If not, common sense should direct you...........

Last edited by seoulski; 10-13-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Grammer error
Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Originally Posted by seoulski
I think these IR scanners belong in the wife's kitchen for checking the Turkey. The bonnet is hot to touch. The engine is hot to touch. The turbo is close to the hood which makes it hot. We all bought a PERFORMANCE car.

The engine will be hot, the turbo will make it hotter. The exhaust tips will burn you. Should we have the GOV step in and place big yellow warning stickers next to these? Please keep your children and loved ones away from these areasI live in South Korea.

I don't appreciate people "touching" my vehicles. Mostly because we get a lot of dust and when "touching" they tend to leave a mark. Requiring cleaning on my part.

I have a motorcycle here. The engine and exhaust is exposed, and will likely burn your skin off. I have had many Koreans (they love to touch things lol) burn themselves "touching" my exhaust tips, and then complain. My friend has an 07S and recently burned his ankle on the exhaust tips. Guess what. It's very hot. Surprise.

Sorry......Is any of this in the MINI Owner's Manual? If not, common sense should direct you...........
I think the problem comes when the hood is too hot too touch, not the engine or turbo, but the hood itself. The heat is causing issues as well, weeping washer jets and deformed scoops. So does this mean i'll be getting free scoops for the life of the car? Clearly there is a problem and the fix can be something as simple as keeping the fan on longer, as that seems to be why the bonnet gets hot only AFTER the engine has been off for 5 minutes or more and the fan has already turned off a long time ago.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:10 AM
korby
6th Gear
I dont care that the bonnet gets hot , I do care that all the plastic and rubber bits are getting cooked .

Old 10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I carefully inspected mine and it is deformed as well. The mid section of the grill has three columns with no holes and that's where it gets hot the most on mine apparently. Right above that section the scoop is lower by about 1mm. I will not drummel out any holes in those columns and wait until it gets worse if it will. Then I will go to the dealership and get a new scoop.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:26 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer should swain tech coat the heat-shield on the turbo/manifold. They also make wraps that can cover the turbine side of the turbo. I wonder if the dealer would void my warranty if I took action to protect my under hood components.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 PM
swolfgang
1st Gear
Took some temps

I looked at the pictures of where Jinxy was measuring his temp from and the highest temp I recorded after a long drive was 185 F. My CD player did not work out of the box and i am driving a 2007 cooper as a loaner. Apparently the CD player is on national back order and it could take a month. I should have inspected the car more thoroughly, but I got caught up in the moment. Here is an interesting observation:The cooling fan stays on much longer in the MC than it does in the MCS, after you turn the car off. Do other turbo motors from VW or subaru suffer from these temp problems? And why would it affect only manual trannys?
Can you tell I only had two hours sleep last night.

Last edited by swolfgang; 10-13-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by swolfgang
I looked at the pictures of where Jinxy was measuring his temp from and the highest temp I recorded after a long drive was 185 F. My CD player did not work out of the box and i am driving a 2007 cooper as a loaner. Apparently the CD player is on national back order and it could take a month. I should have inspected the car more thoroughly, but I got caught up in the moment. Here is an interesting observation:The cooling fan stays on much longer in the MC than it does in the MCS, after you turn the car off. Do other turbo motors from VW or subaru suffer from these temp problems? And why would it affect only manual trannys?
Can you tell I only had two hours sleep last night.
Just out of curiousity--you're going to have a loaner for a month for a CD player? Man, you've got more patience than I have!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Robb's 07 Red MCS
2nd Gear
Am thinking of making a suggestion to BMW (Bavarian Mini Works) to design an air diverter that would attach to the back of the hood scoop and direct incoming air over the exhuast-side of the turbo and heat shield. This way the faux intake scoop (with just a few open holes) can be removed and freely open for max air intake. Believe it would solve a lot of the problem...

Old 10-13-2007, 10:10 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robb's 07 Red MCS
Am thinking of making a suggestion to BMW (Bavarian Mini Works) to design an air diverter that would attach to the back of the hood scoop and direct incoming air over the exhuast-side of the turbo and heat shield. This way the faux intake scoop (with just a few open holes) can be removed and freely open for max air intake. Believe it would solve a lot of the problem...
I thought that most of the overheating was taking place after the car was stopped and the engine was turned off - that's why people are getting temperatures in the 185F range right after shutting down, but seeing the temps continue to climb to 250F or more after the stopped car has been sitting for a few minutes.

I don't think that increasing airflow through the scoop or routing that airflow over the turbo/manifold is going to help anything, since you'll only be getting that airflow with the car running/moving.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Bradley99
3rd Gear
Underside of R56 hood might be good location for some FRCI shuttle tiles. Or maybe wrap the turbo in them. Good to 2300 deg. F.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi everyone,

The tech manager installed the check valve for the weeping washer jets on Friday. It appears to be working.

We spoke about a great number of things, related to Mini's. He understands our concern regarding the heat, but his hands are tied. He can only report the issue to Mini/BMW. Mini/BMW has to advise him on what to do.

ECU Version 27 should be available this week. He explained that when BMW releases a new version of firmware for the ECUs, that it doesn't mean there were any changes for the Mini's. It could have been for a specific model Bently or BMW model that needed something addressed and nothing Mini related.

I specifically asked him if Mini/BMW sent "release notes" with their updates that describe if and what issues/items the update fixes/adds. He said yes, they accompany the update. He also said he had not received any release notes for version 27.

He also told me that, we can't just schedule our Mini's to have the ECU updated (under warranty), unless we have a specific problem that an update would fix.

So, unless Mini/BMW releases a TSB regarding the heat issue, or something else, your ECU remains "as is".

So, if you MCS has the blazing bonnet issue, report it to your dealer and also report it to NHTSA as a safety/burn issue.

Thanks!!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:41 PM
mataku
5th Gear
Thanks for the update Jinxy and thanks for fixing that other thread. I really hope something gets resolved soon. I hope to be able to hit up my service manager soon as well regarding these issues.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Mine is a Auto and the scoop is deformed. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to have the Sirius retrofit kit installed. I told them about the scoop and I want it looked at and replaced.I wonder if they could order the jcw scoop and I get the difference??

Old 10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
mikeyjaro
2nd Gear
anybody think the chrome hood scoop might help against the melting??

Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mikeyjaro
anybody think the chrome hood scoop might help against the melting??
I was thinking that also. It might radiate* (Spelling?) the heat better, but I'm not sure if its metal or just plastic with plating. I know the carbon fiber would handle the heat.

Quick Reply: Bonnet Heat/Deformed Scoop