Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Can you buy an extended warranty anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you buy an extended warranty anywhere?

Since I have found MINI extended service warranties from 449.00 to 800.00 by MINI dealers, can I buy one for my car out of state?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Please share

Please let the rest of know who has it for a good price.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
JCW210
2nd Gear
You can in the UK ,so I guess it will be the same in US

Old 09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Drsms22
Since I have found MINI extended service warranties from 449.00 to 800.00 by MINI dealers, can I buy one for my car out of state?
Extended warranties are a rip-off for the consumer. You really need to do your homework if you are thinking about an extended waranty. In almost every case you would come out much further ahead by simply putting the money aside in an intrest earning account.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
Extended warranties are a rip-off for the consumer. You really need to do your homework if you are thinking about an extended waranty. In almost every case you would come out much further ahead by simply putting the money aside in an intrest earning account.
Unfortunately I have had just the opposite experience. Fortunately, I have purchased extended warranties and have recovered what I paid in premiums from repair expense that was avoided. A couple of examples: a/c evaporator in a 1995 Volvo that failed (monster leak) - $2,500 to R&R the evaportator (Ext. Wty. cost $2,000 (+$400 in my favor ($100 deductible)); DSTC computer failure in 2002 Volvo S60 AWD - $5,200 to R&R the computer (Ext. Wty. cost $2,300 (+$1,900 in my favor ($0 deductible)). Each of these examples occured after the factory warranty period was over. I just got my 2003 Corvette back from the shop for an electrical failure that was munching batteries like french fries - there was a fan motor relay that was sticking open. The R&R cost for that stupid little item was $535 (labor in the S.F. bay area is at $110/hour).... I have 82 more months to make up $900 in GMPP premium expense. Want to lay odds on whether I win?

Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
Unfortunately I have had just the opposite experience. Fortunately, I have purchased extended warranties and have recovered what I paid in premiums from repair expense that was avoided. A couple of examples: a/c evaporator in a 1995 Volvo that failed (monster leak) - $2,500 to R&R the evaportator (Ext. Wty. cost $2,000 (+$400 in my favor ($100 deductible)); DSTC computer failure in 2002 Volvo S60 AWD - $5,200 to R&R the computer (Ext. Wty. cost $2,300 (+$1,900 in my favor ($0 deductible)). Each of these examples occured after the factory warranty period was over. I just got my 2003 Corvette back from the shop for an electrical failure that was munching batteries like french fries - there was a fan motor relay that was sticking open. The R&R cost for that stupid little item was $535 (labor in the S.F. bay area is at $110/hour).... I have 82 more months to make up $900 in GMPP premium expense. Want to lay odds on whether I win?
Well it's a good thing that you are the one getting all the bad luck because otherwise those poor extended warranty companies would not be making sooo much money if anyone else had your troubles

Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Recurring revenue model

If you knew howe much $$ extended warrantees make companies, you would ber shocked! (Like best Buy!)

HOWEVER...I buy the extended warrantees on items that are extremely hard to repair and the parts expensive...Like Minis and HDTV's...Lots of other stuff is just throw away when it breaks!

SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT AND EXCLUSIONS...I am look ing around too! Have heard too many stories that "Oh that is not included in your extended warranty" of late!"

Well it's a good thing that you are the one getting all the bad luck because otherwise those poor extended warranty companies would not be making sooo much money if anyone else had your troubles

Old 09-06-2006, 06:49 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Strangely enough you are an exception, not the norm. But if a person feels the need and can afford it then they should get it.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 AM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Living approx. 2 1/2 hours from our closest MINI dealer, and with what is well known as the gouging most take with extended warranties I have stayed away.

Now my VW Touareg, as long as I keep that pig it will be under some kind of warranty - a disaster to say the least for VW so far. They have bought that auto back from me several times in repair bills.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:39 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I have monthly problems with my 2003 MINI and live 2 hours from the nearest dealer, so an extended warranty is appealing to me despite my usual aversion to them (I have about 3000 miles left on the factory warranty). So, if anyone has one they like, I'd appreciate the basics on the warranty.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Morris9982
4th Gear
One thing to consider in your decision is how they will work with the dealer. Will the dealer send the bill to the warranty company or do you have to pay up front and then try to get a refund from the warranty company?

I've had cars with and without the extended warranty, and generally have not needed to use them (no problems with the cars).

The easiest (but not necessarily the least expensive) would be to look at the warranty sold by your dealer. It may be the least hassle when trying to get payment.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gizzer777
If you knew howe much $$ extended warrantees make companies, you would ber shocked! (Like best Buy!)

HOWEVER...I buy the extended warrantees on items that are extremely hard to repair and the parts expensive... [Emphasis added.]Like Minis and HDTV's...Lots of other stuff is just throw away when it breaks!

SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT AND EXCLUSIONS...I am look ing around too! Have heard too many stories that "Oh that is not included in your extended warranty" of late!"
This is probably my sole decision criteria on whether to buy an extended warranty or not. If the item is a commodity (if it breaks, can it be easily and cheaply replaced with something new), then I pass on the extended warranty. But if either the labor or the parts are expensive, then I start looking for an extended warranty. Maybe I have had bad luck; but the reason that a warranty is purchased is for the peace of mind.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
I have monthly problems with my 2003 MINI and live 2 hours from the nearest dealer, so an extended warranty is appealing to me despite my usual aversion to them (I have about 3000 miles left on the factory warranty). So, if anyone has one they like, I'd appreciate the basics on the warranty.
For those that are on the fence, I think that you could extrapolate on whether you will need an extended warranty based on the type and frequency of repairs that you have during the factory warranty period. If you are experiencing problems one after the other during the factory warranty period, you should either sell the car or get an extended warranty when the factory warranty is up. No problems during the factory warranty period, and you might want to roll the dice unless you live in a high labor cost area; in which case, an extended warranty is almost a must. One thing I do is to purchase the extended warranty just before the factory warranty is up. That way, I get the full benefit of the extended warranty term (84 months on the Corvette as opposed to 84 - 36 months of factory warranty coverage if I had purchased the extended warranty when I took delivery of the car).

Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
This is probably my sole decision criteria on whether to buy an extended warranty or not. If the item is a commodity (if it breaks, can it be easily and cheaply replaced with something new), then I pass on the extended warranty. But if either the labor or the parts are expensive, then I start looking for an extended warranty. Maybe I have had bad luck; but the reason that a warranty is purchased is for the peace of mind.
I guess some people buy peace of mind while others just get it standard

Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
I guess some people buy peace of mind while others just get it standard
Or, hope for it. Just don't expect it in the absence of a contract for it.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Or, hope for it. Just don't expect it in the absence of a contract for it.
Mind?? I'm I supposed to have one?

Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
running4amini
1st Gear
Has anyone had any luck with any specific Non-Mini Dealer warranty companies. I am curious about Warranty Direct more specifically, and or any other recommended companies.

Also I didn't know you could buy an extended warranty after you bought the car...so do you loose anything in coverage if you wait until just before your Factory warranty is up?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read here http://www.carnutgarage.com/warranty/Warranty_3.html

That is one person's opinion

This all comes down to the expense of repairs. Even with the worst of possible repairs, a new engine? How much will it cost?

If this were a high end car, YES they may be worth it.

Beware, if you do ANY mods, you are NOT covered. See https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ended+warranty

Even the JCW kit voided the warranty

This also means if you autox, do track days, etc. no warranty.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
biz
2nd Gear
I bought an extended warrenty mainly for the cvt. I was going to buy AAA as it seemed the best but a dealership in town had a better one with wear and tear. it runs till 100k an unlimited time so at least i have peace of mind.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
AntiqueCarNut
4th Gear
Beware of 'aftermarket' extended warranties!

I would never again consider an extended warranty or service plan that is not offered by the vehicle's manufacturer.

I had purchased an extended warranty for my 2000 Ford F-250 from Warranty Gold, which was, at one time, an apparently reputable company. Unfortunately, WG, based in Austin, TX was only a sales agent for warranties underwritten by National Warranty Insurance Group, based in the Cayman Islands (starts to stink already, doesn't it ?) Of course, WG never disclosed these details during the purchase of the warranty. This minutiae was in the microscopic 'fine print' on the contract, but not on any of the sales literature, website, etc.

Subsequently, NWIG declared bankruptcy and WG cancelled 38,000 extended warranty contracts and payment on any outstanding claims. WG was attempting the escape any liability in the matter.

A years-long class action suit insued and is now just coming to the first part of a settlement for the class participants, which I can assure you will be just pennies on the dollar.

If you think you cannot justify the potential repairs, post-warranty, I'd suggest selling the car before the factory warranty expires, then get a new MINI - or buy a Toyota .

The bottom line is that you're doing yourself a disservice unless you do your homework to figure out whch company is the underwriter of the warranty you plan to purchase. You need to thoroughly investigate the viability of that company to pay claims and their history of doing so on a timely, hassle-free basis. You must have an attorney review the contract before you sign it.

So my advice to you... caveat emptor!!

Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 AM
aiiee
3rd Gear
I'm buying one because my CVT died on my last MINI and it was $8,000.00 to get it fixed.....

Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM
running4amini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by aiiee
I'm buying one because my CVT died on my last MINI and it was $8,000.00 to get it fixed.....
Ouch! That would make it worth it to me to have an extended warranty or a service plan that covers that.

I think I am the peace of mind kinda person namely because Mini repairs and parts seem to be so expensive from what I have read so far on the forums.

Thank you for the responses. I am still curious as to who else some of you are using for your Extended Warranties or Service Plans and are happy with them.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
running4amini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us

Even the JCW kit voided the warranty

This also means if you autox, do track days, etc. no warranty.
Chows4us,

What do you mean even the JCW Kit voided the warranty? Are you talking about my factory installed kit? Wow if that's the case how did I miss that?!?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by running4amini
Chows4us,

What do you mean even the JCW Kit voided the warranty? Are you talking about my factory installed kit? Wow if that's the case how did I miss that?!?

Read https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/for...ended+warranty

Unfortunately we cannot offer protection for vehicles with the JCW kit. The vehicles have not been in use long enough to establish a failure rate.

Quick Reply: Can you buy an extended warranty anywhere?