St. Louis MINI Club The St. Louis MINI Club Forums. Visit our club site at www.stlmini.com

Chrome Turbo Scoop Warping and Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 AM
chrisinstlouis
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Turbo Scoop Warping and Bubbling

Anyone else had any issues with their turbo scoop warping and bubbling? My mini only has around 6,000 miles on it, and the chrome turbo scoop is popping up away from the hood and has bubbles that seem to be increasing in number. I called mini of STL to try to set up an appointment to get this replaced and they want me to come in so they can take pictures. I did a little research and learned that this is a common problem caused from engine heat.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this issue or advice?

I read somewhere that mini is replacing the defective scoop and adding some kind of heat shield under the hood to prevent this from happening.

Any information would be appreciated.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 AM
proximo
3rd Gear
It's turbo heat. We had ours replaced under warranty within the first 6 months (known issue). Hasn't happened again, but I'm sure it will. Companies around sell heat blocking devices (from a heat blanket to a titanium shield) to divert the heat from the scoop. Oh, and Mini didn't add anything during replacement to prevent it from happening again

Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
chrisinstlouis
Neutral
The dealer replaced mine and installed the heat shield and it seemed to fix the issue until yesterday. I had an oil change and brake job done at the dealership and they washed my car. When I got home I noticed a huge bubble on the top portion of the turbo scoop. Not sure if it was related to the heat from the car and the cold air or cold water when they washed it, but I have to take it back tomorrow to have it replaced again. I wish they'd find a long term solution, so I don't have to keep replacing it every year.