Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

Motoring Alliance

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 06:15 PM
E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motoring Alliance

Any motoring alliance link I try to post is not working.

Does NAM not allow users to post links to threads at motoring alliance? Why can't I get any motoring alliance threads to work? Is this a joke? Seriously?

If you truly blocked any links to rival forums doesn't that severely limit the content I can access on this site? If that's the case then this forum is useless in my book.

What is this communist China? Is that why this site mainly consists of vendors? I mean if I wanted to look at ads all day I'd watch QVC.

I didn't realize this site was so restricted or I wouldn't have signed up....

Maybe a mod can clear things up for me otherwise I'm out... I've been a member of various car forums all my life and have never seen anything like this...

So if this is the case can I please get an explanation as to why? Otherwise, I'll leave you guys and The remaining gullible members to the cash cow...

Last edited by E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?; 05-30-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:02 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
A few millennia ago, a moderator here started Motoring Alliance. NAM has blocked MA ever since. Yeah I agree it is petty. Motoring alliance doesn't block NAM links, so it's all on NAM.

Maybe it is a leftover from a previous administration, in that case they should fix it.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM
E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?
2nd Gear
That's pretty comical. Thanks for the reply. Until you guys get it fixed I'm out of here. Can mods please delete/remove my account? Maybe send me an email if and when it gets changed I'll come back but I can't support this censorship. I come to forums to help people and gain new knowledge. That severely limits both of those reasons for being a member here.

No wonder the site activity sucks. Seems like all vendors and new members mostly. Glad this didn't take too long to figure out, what a waste.

Thanks.

Last edited by E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?; 05-30-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:18 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorta petty to leave a forum because of it, it is what it is who cares. Don't hold back knowledge because the moderators had a falling out years ago.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
What I find surprising is that you both are able to type in 'Motoring Alliance' and it stays on the screen. Not long ago any time it was posted they would replace it with *****. Reminds me of neighbor kids getting pi$$y about who can play in their sand box.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:24 PM
E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?
2nd Gear
It's not me holding back knowledge it's the forum. I just tried to supply a link to help someone with a decision and its censored! Moderators personal quarrels make no difference to me. Why does that mean the content I can access is restricted? Never seen anything like it it's hilarious.

Just think about how many links I've missed reading through nam threads. There should be a disclaimer ha.

To me it's not petty it actually pisses me right off... I'm pissed I've been here even this short amount of time....

If you personally believe in censorship that's fine. I choose not to support it. I believe in freedom of speech and access to information. Transparency. Not reading a script and looking at a bunch of ads.

The vendors have overwhelmed this forum which is another reason to leave.

Thanks for your opinion tho. U can catch me over at mini torque or one of the other forums. I'll be glad to learn and supply knowledge elsewhere.

MODS DELETE MY ACCOUNT..

Last edited by E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?; 05-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:28 PM
E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
What I find surprising is that you both are able to type in 'Motoring Alliance' and it stays on the screen. Not long ago any time it was posted they would replace it with *****. Reminds me of neighbor kids getting pi$$y about who can play in their sand box.

Right? I don't want to be in a wierd sand box club I want freedom to access and supply information.

Also it's a peeve to read through old threads and see some really intelligent, useful contributors banned. I've never seen so many banned members in any other forum period. Kind of got me wondering....

So if they want to ban me for posting this thread I welcome it. It's like a bunch of over zealous, fresh out the academy, trigger happy cops ran/run the forum. That's just more access to experienced info that I am denied.

The mods can keep it

Last edited by E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?; 05-30-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To briefly address some of the voiced concerns, NAM guidelines--to which each new member agrees when registering--state the following:

NO OTHER SITES
Advertising of products or solicitation of traffic for other websites is forbidden without prior express written permission from North American Motoring staff.
This has been a part of NAM guidelines for many years, so the limitation of directing traffic to other sites is nothing new. The history of Motoring Alliance and NAM is well known to the longer term members and needn't be dredged up beyond what has already been mentioned.

You of course have the freedom to choose which forums to frequent and which to not. As a new member, I hope you stick around to see more of what NAM has to offer. If you have ways to make the site better, please bring them to the table--we welcome and encourage that. New members and new MINI fanatics are what keep this place going.

I hope that helps address and clarify the issues mentioned here.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
"solicitation of traffic for other websites" is interpreted selectively depending on the website.

Why is Motoring Alliance completely censored but not MINI2 and some other MINI related sites?

The blanket blocking of Motoring Alliance went into effect years ago because of some personal bad blood. Perhaps it is time to reconsider the policy.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 PM
E36-E46-R56lifewhuuuh?
2nd Gear
Ok I'll bite, I thought I had made my suggestions pretty clear starting this thread but here goes:

You say that "suggestions for ways to make the site better are welcomed and encouraged" correct? Then I ask you, if this is such a known issue that needn't be addressed again why hasn't this been resolved yet? Isn't this ancient history? People can be so vengeful. Why does the rest of the community have to suffer?

My suggestion is to put aside past personal grievances and allow the general public freedom to access information. Change your settings, remove that statement from your guidelines. It's truly a "unique" guideline that I have never seen before. Ever.

In my opinion, the action nam took on this matter is VERY elementary and childish. To the point it's almost fascinating. It makes me want to create a motoring alliance membership just to spite these kind of actions. They don't censor NAM posts, so it truly shows who is the bigger person regarding this matter. Even though I don't know the story I can clearly see that. No other forums are banned just that one.

I don't need to know the "history" between these two forums, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this was handled incorrectly.

So if you want to post "site guidelines" and sweep it under the rug real quick then I have a real question for you:

Why are no other forums blocked? Only motoring alliance? If your a true believer in these "rules" then block ALL links to ALL other forums and websites. Let's answer the real questions here.

Why don't you follow your own rules? Block em all. Not just 1.

Do you think that anyone would visit this site if every link was blocked? It would just be a bunch of dudes swinging dicks and jabbering with no references! No sources! So funny.

Trust me, I've been a member of a TON of other forums and I have NEVER seen ANY other forum censor certain websites or other forums like this. It was truly shocking to me upon discovery.

So take my suggestion or don't, I'm only a new member anyway. Not too huge of a loss lol.

I choose to leave based on these guidelines and what I've seen here during my short tenure. The taste in my mouth has soured. Too much restriction here. No biggie, I'm sure my absence will not be noticed by most. Maybe the vendors will miss the ad exposure but that's about it.

It makes me feel better to leave and support other sources of TRUE un filtered information. I don't agree with those guidelines, neither do most Americans. Maybe this kind of mentality is accepted in communist/dictatorship countries but not here. Leaving this forum makes me feel like I support "the good ones". I had thought the lack of activity on the forum was because of a smaller community but it's all making sense to me now. Hopefully this thread will spark a change. Maybe you guys gain some members back. Right now it's a ghost town.

So take those rules and change them, [deleted by Moderator] I don't care.

That's my suggestion. Thanks for at least giving it the ol college try wandrur.

Peace.

Last edited by wandrur; 05-31-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: edited due to lack of respect/lack of clean posting
Old 05-31-2016, 07:09 AM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I use to be on this sight a lot. But then I found a better place. A place where we never tell people to do a search when they ask a question, even if we have answered it a 100 times. People are friendly and very helpful. Yes the discussions at times get heated but we are allowed to voice our opinions. We do poke fun at each other so you need thick skin, but its all in good fun.

I hope things have got better here in the time I have been gone. This use to be a great sight. Sadly it really want down hill.

As you can see MA does not block links or censor opinions.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suggestions for changes to NAM policy can be directed to the "Contact Us" link which will route messages directly to Administrators rather than the moderating staff (which has no control of policy and guidelines).

I welcome you to make respectful suggestions to the Administrators in order to make NAM a better place. But as with most things, respectfully communicating usually moves things along better than the alternative.

I think this thread has served its purpose, so I'm going to lock it but leave it in the main forum in hopes that others will consider the discussion and take appropriate suggestions to the Administrators of NAM.

Thank you for the input.