Site Feedback Open forum for discussion of this site. Post your kudos or criticism so that we can continually improve service to the new MINI community.

An Open Letter to NAM

Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
I think a big step in the right direction would be to improve the vendor review & rating system. I have written 2 reviews but when I click on reviews I only see one vendor I reviewed & it is very confusing as to if I am viewing actual "vendor" reviews or "product" reviews. I know there is some way to hunt around & find the other vendor I reviewed but it just shouldn't be that hard to find because that means someone researching a vendor will have a difficult time. It would also be nice if they had stars instead of just numerical rating values by their names. I know it's cheesy & a small thing but the stars stand out & are easier to spot than some number lost in a bunch of other words.

I think if the vendor review system stood out & was more prominent perhaps people would be more content with leaving one scathing review on a product or vendor than feeling the need to repeatedly dog them.
Some time ago I added specific links in the Main Menu for Reviews, products, and vendors with the number of each that is in the system. I just updated the Reviews link in the header so that it now brings up a drop down with information on products/vendors and how many are in each/reviews in each.

Given that it is now in two places on each page I'm not sure how to make it more obvious for members on the site that this function is available.

As for the functionality in the review system....it is a third party product (same people that produce our gallery software). Its not easily modified (I've tried) and I agree, it probably doesn't support everything we would really like.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Yeah I wasn't talking about the links being more obvious as they are very accessible. It's the arrangement of the info & the lack of vendors readily appearing when you click the link. The arrangement of things is what doesn't work so well to me

Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Mark
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Sanity check by a live person to make sure there isn't a concentrated group effort to alter the results.
This is the process we've used since the review system was added. I saw this as a potential abuse of the review system and therefore have reviewed all the reviews going through the system. To date we haven't had this problem occur.

Mark

Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Mark
Originally Posted by bamatt
Yeah I wasn't talking about the links being more obvious as they are very accessible. It's the arrangement of the info & the lack of vendors readily appearing when you click the link. The arrangement of things is what doesn't work so well to me
So if the world was your oyster how would you want it to be organized?

As for not all vendors being in there they can be resolved. My hope was that people would, over time, help to add all the vendors (both on the site and those that aren't...similar to the way you can contribute to wikipedia).

Mark

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
OK this is just how I would like it

I would like all the NAM vendors names to appear in the list when I click reviews then vendor. I think they should be in alphabetical order. Anything you can do to make their rating stand out a bit more would also be nice.

When I click the vendor link it says "products" at the top of the list instead of "vendors". That makes it kinda confusing & makes me think I am in the wrong place.

Since it sounds like the MOD you have can't be altered very much I think those few little thing would help a lot if they are possible

In my wildest dreams every vendor would have a number beside their NAM name (the number would be the number of reviews that have been written about them) that is a clickable link. That link would take you to that vendors page that had only their reviews & feedback in one neat tidy place. Kinda like ebay... but I know I am getting a bit carried away with that wish

Old 06-11-2008, 04:47 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StLouieLo
Puritanical, I'm not. Slanderous comments, I take offense to. And I'll keep my beer for my friends.
I've been on this site for some time and I have NO IDEA who you are. How long have you been a moderator and what forums are you responsible for?

Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Mark

In this thread I've seen a lot of talk about what is wrong and not a lot about concrete steps on how to fix the issues. Is there a method that could be implemented to provide constructive negative feedback to vendors so that people could easily find it?

Is anyone really up to a challenge like this and do it without a personal agenda? If so, I'm all ears and will support it however I can.

Mark

iTrader
would be a good start. this is the only forum using vBulletin that still doesn't have it turned on

Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
As to the idea of "Let's kick out the vendors and everything will be fine":
I think that ignores the very topic that gave rise to the quoted text in the OP . . . you can kick out vendors and sponsorship support, add third party ads that don't benefit anyone, and . . . what do you have?
A site that only highlights the new products of vendors who by shilling or fanboys "advertise" on NAM, and a site that excludes vendors who would not stoop to that level to pander a product. I can only see this creating more problems, accusations, personal attacks, etc . . . my 2 cents.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
I've been on this site for some time and I have NO IDEA who you are. How long have you been a moderator and what forums are you responsible for?
Please read.

NAM policy.doc

As long as both are treated with equal measure then I do not have a problem with vendors or members. Questioning anyones credibility in a demeaning way is uncalled for.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by sikamini
Please read.

Attachment 33399

As long as both are treated with equal measure then I do not have a problem with vendors or members. Questioning anyones credibility in a demeaning way is uncalled for.
how exactly am I questioning anyone's credibility? I've never seen this member on NAM and they've apparently been here awhile AND have moderator status. See my earlier post about moderators being involved.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
DING DING DING>.......

bad business practices will ONLY be changed when they are forced to.... I welcome this with open arms

why am I the only vendor posting in here?
I was in on the 1st page of postings, then went to bed
WOW you guys worked this issue hard last night.

I also think PGT has posted some of his best work here and I agree with him.

Adam's got good points too. Nate is right on too.

I think Mark's built something great and works great 99.9% of the time.

Mark, may be a god, but he is not God and NAM is not the holy word.

All of you keep up the good work of making NAM a better place each and every day with your involvement.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
how exactly am I questioning anyone's credibility? I've never seen this member on NAM and they've apparently been here awhile AND have moderator status. See my earlier post about moderators being involved.
Please read your previous post. Since we cannot hear you written tone is everything. No offence meant, but to me your tone was demeaning. Sorry.
PS I've read her comments on various threads and I've been in for less than a month.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Please read your previous post. Since we cannot hear you written tone is everything. No offence meant, but to me your tone was demeaning. Sorry.
PS I've read her comments on various threads and I've been in for less than a month.

Thank you

Lois

Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
Don't certain moderators mod certain boards/areas only? I am not saying they can't step in anywhere when needed but in general mods just mod the boards they are assigned don't they

p.s... I have seen lois post a lot over the years

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 AM
PGT
Banned
this post is by no means critical nor demeaning. HONEST FRIGGIN QUESTION PEOPLE!

Originally Posted by PGT
Get over it.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
this post is by no means critical nor demeaning. HONEST FRIGGIN QUESTION PEOPLE!

Get over it.
Perhaps the internet is more serious than we first thought

Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
PGT
Banned
nah...just a tendency of mods to come out of the woodwork in threads like this. it's always interesting to see who participates here vs. normal day to day operations of the site.

not a criticism...I don't post much anymore on the site I'm a supermod on....though I do read a ton and move stuff when needed, just behind the scenes now.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT

Get over it.
As to your question. Members join dates are in the upper right of every post they make. If you need to see their status, go to their profile. But being a supermod, I'm sure you are aware of this kind of thing.

As to getting over it. Kind of hard to do when asked by someone who proudly calls themselves a known insulter.

Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Kelly Girl
Banned
wow.

but i think the really important question that we're all dancing around here is (for Mark and anyone else this could apply to)

Just how many times a day do you tell yourself " I HAVEN'T SOLD OUT "

Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Kelly Girl
wow.

but i think the really important question that we're all dancing around here is (for Mark and anyone else this could apply to)

Not sure what you mean by that
But like my skin, sometimes my brain is thick too.

Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Kelly Girl
Banned
not YOU the OTHER mark

Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
lotsie
Banned
I still don't get the question. Most refer to me as the "other" Mark

Mark

Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
wow.

I for one do not think Mark, founder of NAM, as "sold out". One of the cool things about becoming a vendor is getting to know others better, Mark for one, and I'll stand up and say without a 2nd thought, Mark as not "sold out".

Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie
As to your question. Members join dates are in the upper right of every post they make. If you need to see their status, go to their profile. But being a supermod, I'm sure you are aware of this kind of thing.

As to getting over it. Kind of hard to do when asked by someone who proudly calls themselves a known insulter.

Mark
Nice provocative post

Now go kiss the wifey

Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
wow.

So what, the site was sold. Thats so old news, let it go...

Even the Sex Pistols Sold out. http://www.theage.com.au/news/people...701665565.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: An Open Letter to NAM