Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio My crazy MINI Carputer Install...

Old 10-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My crazy MINI Carputer Install...

So, Ever since i bought the MINI I was flurting with the idea of a computer with a 7inch LCD screen in the car. I had also done this previously in my 330Ci last summer. Now it was time for the MINI, I did a search and saw some ways fellow MINI owners did it. So i decided to take a different approach. All though I didnt have the auto climate control this project was going to be a little harder and time consuming. I wanted to shift the whole audio, toggle switch and climate down wards to make alot of room uptop for my screen.

So, with the help of my friend Andrew and his handy Dremel. We got to work...

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-1.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-2.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
This is the part where we Completely demoed everything and up up all the plastic. and shifted the entire climate control about 3-4 inches downwards. Drilled some holes and plunked it right in there... PERFECT!

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-7.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-8.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-6.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
This part we put the plastic sides back in to messure up where to put the screen and make the model so we could fiber glass it in.

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-4.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-5.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Alright, so the first picture is the rough part that we have created in house the new 7inch Xenarc Monitor. The rest of the pictures are with the monitor in and the computer all plugged up (GATEWAY 3520GZ Laptop with Centrino) which was installed in the back next to my Sub and amp.

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-9.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-10.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-11.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
For the side where the big open space was, we cut out a thin peice of MDF and wrapped in with black felt and screwed it into place. My car is still alittle dirty after the install, but I didnt get a chance to clean it yet.

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-5.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-6.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-9.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
These are some shots from the rear and from the passanger door of the finished product. :smile:

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-8.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-0.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:55 PM
minie
3rd Gear
good job,

are you going to write a how to?
really intrested, i wanted to install a 2din hu in my mini,

keep up the good work

Old 10-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Heres some more pictures with the interior orange lights on at night.

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-7.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-1.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-2.jpg  
Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Last of my pictures.

So i have my computer wired up.
Installed the AUX, so i can play DVD,s and Audio from the computer, and i have the Gyration wireless mouse and laptop size keyboard hooked up. Im going to get the wireless broadband now by Verizon wireless and see how that works out for me.

Attached Thumbnails My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-2.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-3.jpg   My crazy MINI Carputer Install...-4.jpg  
Old 10-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minie
good job,

are you going to write a how to?
really intrested, i wanted to install a 2din hu in my mini,

keep up the good work
Thanks. At this point, since i just did this it would be quite difficult to do a write up. Just because this was all impravised, but me and my friend will sit down and maybe fabricate something to that it could be easly installed by anyone with a few minor cuts here and there and just put in our peice and install your toggles, head unit and A/C. ill try and write up sometime this week tho.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Wow good stuff!! congrats on a great project...nice to see some people doing things out of the ordinary

Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
Good work !!

Thats must have took some time and effort

Old 10-03-2005, 01:02 AM
jlapenna
1st Gear
That is quite awesome. From the looks of the screenshots, its running WindowsXP. What other software are you using? Do you have a GPS module hooked up to it? What about navigations software. Is the laptop installed perminatly or is it easily removable so you can take it with you?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to do for my carputer project and this was a great insight into the physical aspect of modding the car.

From where did you get the LCD? Do you have any other ideas for computer control? Seems to me like it will be mighty difficult to use the computer (music, directions, etc) while driving, what are your plans for that?

Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jlapenna
That is quite awesome. From the looks of the screenshots, its running WindowsXP. What other software are you using? Do you have a GPS module hooked up to it? What about navigations software. Is the laptop installed perminatly or is it easily removable so you can take it with you?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to do for my carputer project and this was a great insight into the physical aspect of modding the car.

From where did you get the LCD? Do you have any other ideas for computer control? Seems to me like it will be mighty difficult to use the computer (music, directions, etc) while driving, what are your plans for that?
Yep, i am running windows XP, and DVD software for DVD's and windows media player. I dont have any GPS hooked up yet, I have to do some home work to see what is avaliable for PC's. The laptop is removeable fairly easy so if i need it i just take it out from the rear. I bought my monitor last year from a local shop here in NJ. Its not hard to switch things with the wireless keyboard while im driving, it has all the buttons for play/stop back/next volume mute, but one i get the touch screen thats the 7 inch xenarc also. The only difference is one has a USB interface on the back of the monitor for the touch screen. So once i get that ill just swap them out.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 AM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
I've been thinking of doing a similar thing for a while.. just don't have the time to play with it. The way I was/am going to do it is slightly different - I'm planning on getting rid of the headunit, and connecting the PC upto the iBus, which can then read the pushes of the MFSW, connecting up the PC to the HK system (using the HK enabler probarbly... unless I get time to do the research GBMini did to replicate the iBus signals the headunit sends)... basically replacing the whole stock "entertainment system" with a system that runs totally as part of the car.

This is the only thing I regret about not getting the Sat Nav system - having the screen so available for anything.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KevinBaker
I've been thinking of doing a similar thing for a while.. just don't have the time to play with it. The way I was/am going to do it is slightly different - I'm planning on getting rid of the headunit, and connecting the PC upto the iBus, which can then read the pushes of the MFSW, connecting up the PC to the HK system (using the HK enabler probarbly... unless I get time to do the research GBMini did to replicate the iBus signals the headunit sends)... basically replacing the whole stock "entertainment system" with a system that runs totally as part of the car.

This is the only thing I regret about not getting the Sat Nav system - having the screen so available for anything.
Hmm, yea that would be pretty interesting. But get a touch screen for that. I just wasnt in favor or getting rid of the HU, cause i still use it and its convinient. Post when you startyour project tho im curious to see how it comes out.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Morty
1st Gear
Really nice install
Great job mate !!!

Old 10-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Finally got my Navi hooked up now.. Pics to come...

Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Man I have always wanted to put something like that in my dream car. Thats a cool name, carputer. Definitely the way of the future and it cant come soon enough!

Damn good job man! You rock.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:41 PM
drewffff
2nd Gear
re: My crazy MINI Carputer Install...

Great job. I was also wanting to do this. Thank you for pioneering the way. If you get the mod kit built for sale let us know.

drewffff

Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
truely amazing. as soon as I part with the money for a second glovebox and a touchscreen LCD I am going to put my Mac Mini in with one of the shorthand keyboards. DAmn money come in faster!!!!

-Josh

Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MS Street and Trips has the nicest interface and routing options, however lacks voice prompts. Too bad really.

Next best, and also has voice prompts and full voice control, is Delorme Street Atlas.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
KevinBaker
3rd Gear
Personally I think Destinator is the best - and you can get a program that uses its maps, and is totally customisable - its called Map Monkey. Try that

Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
DAmn money come in faster!!!!

-Josh
I am going to make this my quote of the month.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Little_Red_Tamato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
MS Street and Trips has the nicest interface and routing options, however lacks voice prompts. Too bad really.

Next best, and also has voice prompts and full voice control, is Delorme Street Atlas.
thats what i ought the Delorme, with the USB GPS hook up..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio My crazy MINI Carputer Install...