Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio I'm looking for help w/ details of installing XM Direct on 05 MCSC

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 AM
MINImis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for help w/ details of installing XM Direct on 05 MCSC

I've got an 05 MCS, standard HU w/ CD (no CD changer) with HK upgrade.

What XM Direct Part No. is compatable with the HU?

What Blitzsafe Part No. is needed?

I gather from other threads, that I should find the CD changer hook-up in the boot. Is this correct?

As I understand it, I'd connect the Blitzsafe to the CD changer hook-up, then the XM Direct to the Blitzsafe. Is this right?

Any help and clarifications would be greatly appreciated. After scouring all the threads, I think I'm more confused than when I started.

Thanks,
Jack

Old 06-19-2005, 05:46 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
here's how

Originally Posted by MINImis
I've got an 05 MCS, standard HU w/ CD (no CD changer) with HK upgrade.

What XM Direct Part No. is compatable with the HU?

What Blitzsafe Part No. is needed?

I gather from other threads, that I should find the CD changer hook-up in the boot. Is this correct?

As I understand it, I'd connect the Blitzsafe to the CD changer hook-up, then the XM Direct to the Blitzsafe. Is this right?

Any help and clarifications would be greatly appreciated. After scouring all the threads, I think I'm more confused than when I started.

Thanks,
Jack
Here's how & where I got my adaptor. They also have the tuner. I liked dealing with them. Very personal service for a web based store:

XMD 1000 universal XM tuner $30.00 http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/sto.../XMD_1000.html

BMW-MINI/SLD 00 $159.00 http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/sto...XM_SLD_00.html

Do a search of this forum and I think you'll find some pictures of an install. The wires will be in the boot on the right side behind a little door. They will be taped together in a bundle. A 6 pin and 3 pin black connectors, cloth covered wire harness.

I don't have the HK upgrade but I can't see why it wouldn't work the way I did it.

There is another adaptor available that will allow you to pass through the blitzsafe with a cd changer if you desire. it's 01 varient. Ask the Enfig folks questions if it isn't clear. They are very knowledgeable on Blitzsafe products.

I used an XM commander tuner box in place of the XMD 1000. It's basically the same unit only it comes with a control LCD panel. I move the tuner between my boat and my MINI. The LCD panel and hardwired electrical connections and marine antenna stay on the boat. The Blitzsafe and the antenna XM antenna stay in the car.

Took 5 minutes to hook up adaptor and tuner. Maybe 15 20 min to fish the antenna down from the roof to headliner and pillar trim into side of the boot. Another 10 minutes to neaten things up. I used Velcro to hold the tuner in place. zip tied the adaptor to the wire bundle in that compartment.

Send a PM if you want more info. I do have some pics of the install if you can't find any.

Rockymt98

Old 06-19-2005, 12:20 PM
MINImis
1st Gear
Thanks with a few follow up questions

rockymt98 - Thanks, this was exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your quick and informative response. But . . . . one of your comments got me to thinking.

You mentioned that you use the XM Commander, as opposed to the XM Direct, noting that it is pretty much the same thing, but with an LCD panel. The reason I got started with the idea of putting XM in my Mini, was that I won an XM radio (SkyFi2) at a fundraiser recently. The SkyFi2, came with 1 $100 gift card to Crutchfields and $75 toward XM radio subscription. Even though I got the SkyFi2, I was opting for the XM Direct only to avoid having to do any hook-up/wiring with the radio.

Here's the question. Can I use the SkyFi2 in place of the XM Direct? I like the idea you expressed of transferring it (perhaps not as easily as a plug-n-play) from one vehicle to another. I was thinking, that if I'm right, I can purchase an antenna for the Mini, and get one of the plug-n-play car kits for my wife's car, for when we go on long trips. I can then leave the SkiFi2 in the boot of the Mini for 90% of the time, but tranfer it and use the FM modulator for the "mini van" road trips. Would this work, or do I need the XM Direct for the Mini and the car kit for the minivan?

Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 PM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
this gets confusing doesn't it :-)

Right now that won't work from what I've been able to figure out.

There is "but" with that though. Blitzsafe has been saying they will be producing an adaptor/cradle for the skyfi unit. It will hide in the boot compartment and work like the XM direct system. It hasn't been released yet that I know of.

I wanted to go with the Skyfi and their new adaptor/cradle but got tired of waiting for it and finally figured out that the Commander would work.

Seriously, send blitzsafe an email and ask about the new skyfi thing. If enough of us ask about they may speed things along. www.blitzsafe.com is URL. I have dealt with Marc and Ira. Both are very helpful. Who knows maybe there closer to releasing that unit.

BTW, you may find some other posts I've got running about problems with the install in the MINI. Don't let that problem dissuade you from Blitzsafe stuff. I think the problem was caused by something in the tuner. They're working on figuring it out for me.

Another XM resource is www.xmfan.com

Old 06-19-2005, 02:29 PM
MINImis
1st Gear
Confusing is just one way to describe it!

Thanks again for the prompt and informative response. What you're referring to must be the infamous (notorious ) Skylink cradle I've read so much about. If that thing didn't add to the mountain of my confusion, I don't know what did.

I'll check on the status of the cradle, just in case it really is around the bend, but likley will go ahead with the XM Direct for now.

Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 AM
CC
3rd Gear
An important point on antenna mounting...

Most of the pictures of antenna wire routing I've seen on this site show the wire running into the top of the harness gromet. Be sure to run it into the BOTTOM of the gromet and leave a small drip loop, otherwise it will carry water inside the vehicle.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:27 AM
MINImis
1st Gear
Excellent Point

CC - Great point on the drip loop. I'll be sure to not only work it in to my installation, but take a picture or two for others to see.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Marc@Blitzsafe
2nd Gear
Our BMW/XM SLD 00 or 01 will work with your vehicle. I have mounted the antenna on the dash in a number of my installations and never had an issue. That was using out XM antenna, not the one that comes with the kit. We no longer offer the antenna, but there is one that is out there that offers better signal strength. Look around online for it. If you want to order, call our office and tell them you are a member of NAM.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
What is the status of the Skylink cradle?

I know I was wanting one in November of 03 when I got my MINI, I'm glad I went ahead and got the standard adaptor when it came out instead of waiting.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 AM
MINImis
1st Gear
Skylink Cradle Update as of 6-20-05

I checked with Blitzsafe. Apparently, for a number of reasons the release date of the Skylink cradle is uncertain. All-in-all, I'd rather they release a sound product than rush to production and have all sorts of problems with it.

I ordered the BMW/XM SLD 00 and got the NAM discount -- Thanks, Mark.

I've got the XM Direct on its way also. Once I get everything and install it, I'll post some pics.

Jack

Old 06-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockymt98
*snip* Do a search of this forum and I think you'll find some pictures of an install. The wires will be in the boot on the right side behind a little door. They will be taped together in a bundle. A 6 pin and 3 pin black connectors, cloth covered wire harness.*snip*
Rockymt98
Rocky - you are right about finding the wires behind the little door on the hard top. However, there is no little door on the convertible. The whole cloth covered panel on the right (passenger) side needs to be removed for access to the connection wires. There is a removable foam filler behind the panel that trims nicely with a steak knife to fit the Blitzsafe unit. The rest of the installation is similar to the hard top (except antenna placement).

Old 06-22-2005, 06:25 AM
CC
3rd Gear
Ooops...sorry MINImis...

I overlooked the "convertible" part of your install when I made my suggestion about the drip loop.

As far as mounting the antenna, since there seems to be no factory solution, I would think "velcro", aka NASAs duct tape.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:34 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Oops MCS"C" missed it

Oops I completely missed that too. Sorry.

Did you decide where to mount the antenna?

My saga with the new version of XM commander continues as well. Guess what, XM changed the firmware and some hardware in the latest version of the commander tuner. My adaptor and tuner are on the way back from Blitzsafe with new instructions on how to make it work. I'll post the results.

rockymt98

Old 06-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
I tried mounting my XM antenna above the right tail light, like someone on this forum suggested, but didn't like the look. Remounted it beside the license plate - liked the look, but it wouldn't pick up the satellite.

So the antenna now lives beside the OEM antenna on the top of the windshield (sorry, windscreen) with the wire running into the stock OEM antenna hole, down the inside of the "A" pillar, inside the right door sill and to the magic box in the boot.

And I DIDN'T tell the wife I used one of her steak knives to trim the foam inside of the boot for the Blitzsafe - so if y'all would keep that part quiet, I would appreciate it. :smile:

Old 06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
MINImis
1st Gear
Wow Rev., That sounds like a lot of work

So the antenna now lives beside the OEM antenna on the top of the windshield (sorry, windscreen) with the wire running into the stock OEM antenna hole, down the inside of the "A" pillar, inside the right door sill and to the magic box in the boot.

How much did you have to remove, un do, take apart, etc. to get the antenna wire from the front to the back?

Old 06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINImis

How much did you have to remove, un do, take apart, etc. to get the antenna wire from the front to the back?
MINImis - it sound more complicated than it really is. The light assembly next to the interior rear view mirror had to come off, the OEM antenna loosened, the right sun visor came off, and I used a length of .032 SS safety wire ("liberated" a roll of it when I was in U.S. Army Aviation years ago) to fish the XM antenna wire across the header, down the "A" pillar and tucked the wire between the carpet and under the sill until I got to the boot.

Learn from my mistake - don't pinch the XM antenna wire when you tighten the OEM antenna down. It will neatly splice the XM antenna wire, and then you will use a bucket of cuss words until you figure why your *#@%* radio don't work.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
why not use an xm direct kit

with the blitzsafe adapter and go through your head unit - much cleaner and no auxilary units to worry about. pick it up at myradiostore.com - http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/c...ni-cooper.html - $249.00 easy easy install.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kcollins
with the blitzsafe adapter and go through your head unit - much cleaner and no auxilary units to worry about. pick it up at myradiostore.com - http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/c...ni-cooper.html - $249.00 easy easy install.

Sorry if I mislead y'all. That's what I get for assuming. The Blitzsafe adapter is what I was talking about.

You still have to mount the adapter somewhere. For me - it went in the boot.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 AM
MINImis
1st Gear
I like that antenna placement!

Rev. Limiter – Thanks for the information on the antenna. Not only was it informative, but your anecdote about pinching the antenna wire caused me to laugh out loud and get funny stares from my fellow commuters. You know, the kind of stares that convey -- “Oh boy, this guy’s going over the deep end.”

I really like that placement and I think I’m going to try to accomplish the same. I haven’t removed anything yet, I’m going to do so this weekend, so the answers to my follow-up questions may be obvious once everything is taken apart. But, no harm in asking.

Was the antenna wire splicing problem caused by just tightening the OEM antenna too much, or is there a placement of the antenna wire that will allow for proper tightening without splicing?

The antenna wire seems very thin so this is probably not a problem, but any issues with rain water seeping in under the OEM antenna boot because of the wire sneaking underneath?

Any suggestions other than the .032 SS safety wire (which I don’t even know what that is) for fishing the antenna wire from points A to points B?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:02 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
OT - Rev Limiter, did you take that picture in your sig? Pretty cool.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
LeeL - No, I didn't take that picture. I am a Sheltie lover, and found it on a Shetland Sheep Dog site. Thought it said a lot about a Sheltie's sense of curiosity. He is getting ready to get a mouth full of something that don't taste too good...

MINImis - when you remove the large nut that holds the OEM antenna in place, you will see that the mount has a groove in it that the cable for the OEM antenna feeds thru. The thin XM antenna wire will fit nicely beside the larger OEM cable, but you have to be careful when you tighten the nut down so that the XM wire doesn't slip out of the groove. If it does, the sheet metal of the windshield header will cut the XM antenna wire.

edit: Actually, the groove for the OEM antenna wire is built into the base of the antenna itself. The large nut holding the antenna in place doesn't have a groove - you will see what I'm talking about when you remove the light assembly and (using a flashlight) look up into the hole at the base of the antenna. It's very obvious.

I used a small bead of clear silicone sealant around the perimeter of the hole before everything was tucked into place to avoid any water leak. The silicone was covered by the black rubber base of the OEM antenna. Seems to have worked. I haven't had any leaks.

A wire coat hanger may work in place of the safety wire. Let me think on that one for a while. I have used that same roll of safety wire for ~30 years now, and it didn't even dawn on me to use anything else for fishing wires.

Hmmm.....

Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 PM
MINImis
1st Gear
RL - One more question - for today

I took a look at the light assembly above the rear-view mirror, and couldn't see an obvious way to remove it. On each side of the center light on/off button there seemed to be recesses where I would normally find some screws. When I looked in the recesses, it seemed as if they were covered, in part, by plastic. It seemed as if there might be screws beyond the plastic, but I couldn't tell.

Do I need to get past the plastic in the recesses, or does the panel just pry off?

This is where I start hating these types of projects. I don't want to break anything. So many times there is an easy way if you just know it.

Thanks for all your help so far. If you could spare a moment to respond to this question, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
MINImis - The light assembly merely "pops" off. Use a thin blade common tip screw driver at the seam. If I remember right, it releases from the front - the side further away from you toward the front of the car. A gentle prying on the front two corners will release it. There are no screws holding it in place, just clips you can't see. After the assembly is released, it will hang ~2 to 3 inches on the wires. You can then reach in and release the wire terminal that is attached to the light assembly itself.

edit: I just went out and looked at the light assembly in Sam. I see what you are talking about. The two recesses (one on each side of the center switch) do not have screws in them that are part of releasing the switch assembly from the housing. I really didn't notice them before, but they have nothing to do with what you are attempting.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Fidge
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kcollins
I just purchased the XM Universal Tuner and antenna along with the Blitzsafe sld01 adapter, all brabd new for a total of $170.00 from a place called Audio Warehouse in Paramus, NJ. I installed it yesterday and works great

Old 06-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
dang!

That's the cheapest I've seen - good price catch and glad to hear it all works together!

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio I'm looking for help w/ details of installing XM Direct on 05 MCSC