R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Extreme cold temp. report

Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 PM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreme cold temp. report

The over night lows here are hitting -30F and with the windchill it feels like
-45F
But it's a dry cold,humidity is around 40%.
My MC starts every time,first time,with no block heater.I do have a trickle charger that plugs into the cig. lighter,keeps the battery topped up,and warm.
I make sure I turn off everything at shut down,heater fan,radio,and that the e-brake is on,so the DRLs are off.I find it cranks alittle slower than normal,but catches everytime.Idle is rougher than normal for about 15 seconds.Then it levels out at about 1200RPM,I hold the clutch in for about 30 seconds or so,the car stalled once last winter after I let the clutch out to fast, the tranny oil is thick at these temps.Then I slowly let the clutch out and keep the idle up till the pedal is fully released,it is a bit noisy,but that goes away after things start moving.Then I turn on the heater fan,seat heat,never use high setting,rear defog,and the AC to dry the air to help clear the windows.At these temps. I let the car warm up for between 5-10 min.But I have driven away once I,m buckled up,and the car just drives away.
Now I do keep revs below 3000RPM until the car is up to normal operating temp.
The Pirelli Snowcontrols don't seem to get "square wheel" as bad as the all seasons I ran last winter,could be that they run at 44PSI.
The cockpit is very warm,all the windows are clear,and the little guy still goes like snot:smile:
Now there are a few new rattles,but at these temps. I rattle too.
But with the heater blasting,radio going over that,not to mention paying attention to the ice and snow,I don't really hear them.
The MPG tank at these temps. I fill my tank at 1/2 empty normally,and I usually go 400KMs by then.At these temps I get between 300-325KMs at 1/2 a tank.Warm-up,wheel spin,and plowing through snow play into this,but the cold temps cause bearings to freeze up,and I'm sure that it is harder for the car to run at these temps period.
This car works great at these temps,and I feel safe on my hour highway commute in it

Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Whoa....those are COLLLLLLLDDDDDD temps, Lotsie! I can't even begin to relate!

Clover

Old 01-06-2005, 07:29 AM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Whoa....those are COLLLLLLLDDDDDD temps, Lotsie! I can't even begin to relate!
Unfortunately, I can

Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
MiniJackal
1st Gear
Me too... it hasn't gotten quite that cold here yet... but it will....

Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
WOW, and if you think -40F is cold, just convert it to Celsius!

sorry

Old 01-06-2005, 10:05 AM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
Hi Lot. As an almost neighbor of yours...GF ND: I have a question about these extreme temps. I got the chrono pack as an option and in this cold it shows oil pressure pinning the needle (70psi) for the first 30 minutes or so. Does this seem normal!!?? I know elevated psi is to be expected when we are in such cold but pinning the needle!!??

Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
D.J.
6th Gear
17 here in Okla City. Southern California Dreamin

Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
haulin_oats
3rd Gear
I just talked to the parts guy at MINI Winnipeg. he said an OEM block heater is now available. the cost is $260 canadian installed. I think I'm gonna pass on one this year, but might get one next year.

-Steve

Old 01-06-2005, 04:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
WOW, and if you think -40F is cold, just convert it to Celsius!

sorry
Yeah but it does not feel as cold.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:44 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by NoDak Pat
Hi Lot. As an almost neighbor of yours...GF ND: I have a question about these extreme temps. I got the chrono pack as an option and in this cold it shows oil pressure pinning the needle (70psi) for the first 30 minutes or so. Does this seem normal!!?? I know elevated psi is to be expected when we are in such cold but pinning the needle!!??
Not having an oil pressure guage,I really can't say,but in other cars that did the oil pressure was always way high in the cold,then drop to normal as the car warmed up.But I thought that was because the oil got thicker in the cold,and the synthetic we run in our MINIs should not get thick.
Anyone else know what is going on with this.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:02 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
75 here today

75 here today

maybe you should move....

I hate getting skeeter' bites while taking down the Christmas decorations

Old 01-06-2005, 07:23 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by OKeefe
75 here today

maybe you should move....

I hate getting skeeter' bites while taking down the Christmas decorations
One day,but I don't want no skeeter's

Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
weather report

No skeeters here in CA - a nice, sunny day by the beach. There was a touch of frost on the windshield this morning, though. And it's supposed to rain a few inches between now and next week...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
BigBamboo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
...But I thought that was because the oil got thicker in the cold,and the synthetic we run in our MINIs should not get thick...
Do you know what kind of oil you're using Lot15? And for that matter, does anyone know what grade of oil comes with the vehicle, and does it depend what part of the country you are in? Last winter, my Mini ran great with the factory oil. But since my first oil change in November, cold weather starting really bites! I wonder if they put a cheaper grade of oil in at the dealership?

In fact, the day of your cold weather report, my Mini wouldn't start at all! With no block heater, I was left with no recourse but to flatbed it to a heated shop for over $100 .

Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
lotsie
Banned
Well my MINI has the synthetic oil from BMW in it,5w30 I think.The synthetic oil should not get thick,so if the car does not start,it may be a battery issue.Make sure you turn everything off at shut down,even the radio,and get in and close the door so the interior lights go out,and make sure the e-brake is on,so that the DRLs do not come on when you turn the key.Turn the key so all the warning lights come on and wait till the ABS and ASC or DSC lights go out,by then the fuel pump will have primed the injectors,then crank it.
Why did you have to pay for a tow,MINI roadside should cover that?
There is a block heater from MINI up here,the part is $80 and the install is about $180 CND.I'm getting a new tranny next week,so I'm going to see if the install will be cheaper.Get a trickle charger for the battery,I got mine from MINI,plugs into the cig. lighter,keeps the battery topped up and warm.
I have a 50 mile commute on the highway,so my battery is fully charged at shut down.If you start and turn off the car alot,with short drives in the city the battery will not charge as much.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM
NoDak Pat
2nd Gear
Great news about the block heater Lot..I assume you mean in Winnipeg? I'll be checking on that. When I ordered my car I asked about block heaters and my MA said none are made or needed. She said she tested Minis with no block heaters in the Arctic Circle and they started every time .
She also wanted my money.

BTW on the oil gauge thing...I'm beginning to suspect that I'm just a victim of ordering the chrono pack and now since all these gauges are in the center speedo position and BIG...and I watch them all the time that maybe a little paranoia is settling in. Maybe this weekend I'll just watch the road.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:16 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Lot15, BigBamboo,

you guys live on a different planet. Earth doesn't get that cold! Ha just kidding. It got cold here once (at leat thats what my grandparents say).

Old 01-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I have a problem with my washer motor ceasing to even activate under 20 degrees. Have also been running the green rain-x washer fluid... just a tip - it doesn't have any antifreeze! But the motor ceased before I even had that stuff in it.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:56 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by J-Didi
Lot15, BigBamboo,

you guys live on a different planet. Earth doesn't get that cold! Ha just kidding. It got cold here once (at leat thats what my grandparents say).
We sometimes get colder than Mars here,but you can always curl up in a freezer to warm up.