Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice

Old 12-28-2004, 09:02 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice

CAUTION: PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK
As with all mods, the information provided here is without warranty. I am providing the steps for your information, but beware that problems may occur and that you accept full responsibility. Should you encounter any problems, please take a deep breath and relax before going ballistic, and post your problems to this thread and we will all do our best to assist you. You should be aware that the worst that can happen is that you will need to buy a new DVD system or you will have to perform a manual disk extraction which is highly involved and requires removal of the seat and the nav drive unit. This applies to whether you are using the instructions below, or request a CD from OctaneGuy.
UPDATING NAV SOFTWARE & ENABLING BRITISH VOICES

SOFTWARE UPDATE INFO
Did you know you can update the software of your Nav just by downloading a file from the net??? To find out what version you have, you go into the Settings menu and look at the upper right. You should see a 4-xx/xx

In my case it was 4-1/12. The 4 refers to the DVD Mark IV generation of the BMW Nav systems. The current latest version is 4-1/40. It looks like a huge jump, but it's really 4-1/12, 4-1/20, 4-1/30, and now 4-1/40, 4-1/42, and now 4-1/50.

You can see the full chart here:
http://x5world.net/navfaq.htm

Ignore that this page refers to the BMW X5. The nav info is the same.

To update your software, go to this link
http://x5world.net/nav_os.htm

Click on Version 24 and download the file.
This file is known as a CD IMAGE, and was created using software called Nero.

The file has been compressed in the RAR format, so to decompress it you need Winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm) or (www.pkunzip.com)

Now go to this URL
http://www.ahead.de/us/download_demo.php?pak=1
And download a free trial of NERO

Once you install it, run NERO

Select BURN IMAGE TO CD

Now just take this CD, and insert it into the DVD NAV player found under the passenger seat. If all goes well, your NAV screen will say it's reading the CD and the Update process will take about 6 minutes. It's actually much quicker.

After about a minute, it will tell you to eject the CD and click OK, then it reboots.

What are the updates?
Well visibly, the outside temperature is now displayed on the lower left corner which wasn't there before, although I believe this began at 4-1/20. Under Route Preferences, there is a new Avoid Ferries, and some of the wording has changed. More significantly, the languages were reduced from 5 to 3. I think I used to have German, now it's just USA E F (English, Spanish, French)--I may be mistaken though. Overall search speed has improved over the original 4-1/12 version. I didn't lose my address book or Last Destinations during the update either. There is a new method of setting the destination point that feels more intuitive and faster than the original 4-1/12 version.

There are supposed to be some other improvements, which I haven't noticed yet. This update does not get rid of the ACCEPT screen and it does not give you the female British voice.

All in all, I think it's a worthwhile update, and easy enough to do yourself.

More Notes:
MP3 info text on the navigation display from the Head Unit doesn't appear to be active on the MINI's when even using the 2005 head units.

BRITISH VOICE UPDATE BY MODIFYING ABOVE UPDATE CD
You can enable either the British Female or British Male. In either case, the procedure is the same, and the Update CD will always think it's uploading the American Female voice, despite what the actual voices are.

Thanks to a tip from Buz, I found on GBMINI's website details on how to get the British Voice. It requires editing the ISO file that you can download from the BMW x5 site.

You still need the latest version of Nero. My previous version expired, so I downloaded the latest one and it works fine again.

You also need UltraISO.

The surgery needed is very simple. There are 2 folders that contain the American Female voice. You simply need to swap the American Female voice with the British Female voice by just renaming the British Female voice as the name of the American Female voice. You'll have to rename the existing American Female file so it doesn't conflict. I would just change the extension to BAK.

So navigate to the
V2/Voices/0502

rename usa_f.csf to usa_f.bak
rename gb_f.csf to usa_f.csf

V2/language/BMWOCN

rename usa4f.tsf to usa4f.bak
rename gb4f.tsf to usa4f.tsf

Now make sure your Nero is installed and save the new ISO image, and BURN to CD (all from UltraISO--which uses Nero's engine)

Take that CD and put it in your NAV and let it update the software.

Note, I have a 2003 MC, and it works! The Settings will still show USA--not GB, but the Female voice being used will be British Female. =)

Thanks to GBMINI (Ian Cull) and Peter P. Geremia for the tip!!

What does the voice sound like??

http://www.minisontop.com/oddstuff/English.wav

BRITISH MALE VOICE may not utilize the complete vocabulary and you could be missing words. Further testing is required, but use caution when choosing this voice until further notice. Compare the file sizes between the British Female and Male.
USA_F.csf = 2MB
USA_M.csf = 689kb

DO YOU HAVE MKIII (CD BASED NAV??)
At this point, I haven't seen anyone successfully update any CD based Nav systems to the British voices. You can update to the latest software, but the voices don't appear to be easily changed.

EXPERIMENTATION
If you want to try to get it to work, you may trying changing the voice files found in the ISO under MKIII. The file structure of the update CD is different for MKIII and MKIV systems. The renaming procedure above doesn't work on MKIII systems.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ASSIGN DIFFERENT VOICE FILES TO THE LANGUAGE BUTTONS?
Yes it is, but the language sets don't appear to be easily changed. So while your Nav may speak English, Spanish, and French, assigning the GB Female to the English button and GB Male in place of Spanish is possible, all the menu settings and text will still display in Spanish or French.

LOOKING AT THE ISO, HOW ARE THE VOICE FILES NAMED?
d4f.tsf = Deutsch
ef4.tsf = Spanish
f4f.tsf = French
gb4f.tsf = Great Britain
i4f.tsf = Italian
usa4f.tsf = English

The netherland(NL) File is actually on the update ISO. There is only one file unlike the GB Female that has both a TSF and CSF, so I wasn't sure which ones to modify--so I took a chance, and used the GB File for the Language--though I assume it doesn't really matter and it spoke in NL and displayed everything in English.

It's under the V_2/Voices/0502 there is an NL_F.CSF---that's the Audio files for the Netherlands.

DO THE UNITS CHANGE ALONG WITH THE VOICE?
Nope, the nav will still read in Miles and Feet (Yards)

REMOVING NAG SCREEN AND GAIN ROUTE MAGNET
If you update the NAV with a software version earlier than the one installed, such as V23, then update with the V24 CD, your nav will be put in the "No LOCATION" MODE whereby, the ACCEPT nag screen will be removed. Going from V.24.2 to V.24 won't work--it needs to be a full version lower. Feet will change to Yards on the Map Scale, and the Route Magnet--a feature where you can request the nav to include a point you specify in the routing--available from Ver.24 and on is enabled. Some people have said that the MPG might be calculated differently as well using the British MPG instead of American MPG. Also in some cases, the MINI logo is replaced with a BMW logo on startup. Disconnecting the battery may solve the problem.

OFFICEMAVEN describes the Route Magnet
For those of you who don't know, the new "Route Magnet" feature is sort of like a waypoint. If you are currently navigating a route, then using the Route Magnet feature will allow you to set a point (i.e. a waypoint) on the current route and the unit will then try and force the route to be drawn near that point if it possibly can.

Think carefully before doing this mod as the only way to restore it, is through the dealer performing a computer update. I have no idea of the cost or whether anyone has actually had this done.

WHY AM I NO LONGER PROVIDING FREE CD'S??
Due to a recent number of failures during the update process, I no longer feel comfortable offering these CD's. There appear to be a number of variables that I'm not knowledgeable enough in regards to our NAV to know what is causing these problems (blank screens, cd won't eject, etc).

However since this article was in support of CAN (Cure Autism Now), if you find this article helpful to you, please feel free to continue making a donation of atleast $10 to Cure Autism Now. You can either send a check or use your Credit Card and PayPal me at donate@c3club.org, although I would ask that you donate atleast $12 to cover processing fees. If you're not sure how to do this, just use this link.

http://www.c3club.org/2/contribute.asp

Thank you to everyone that has supported CAN through these update CD's. Your contributions have been greatly appreciated.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 04-10-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:18 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up!

Thanks for doing this for the MINI community.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:58 PM
rrypma
4th Gear
One of the downsides of downgrading your SW version is that gallons are measured according the imperial spec, which is slightly larger than our US counterpart. Hence, your fuel economy will noticeably improve.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:25 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
All,

Continuing on from the Flashed My Sat Nav System Tonight thread that was closed...

I've now got the 3.48 GB BMW map data file downloaded and have burned it to a DVD+R disc (it took about 3 days to download because the FTP site only allows a 15 Kbp or so download rate). Upon examining the disc, it appears to contain the exact same file structure as the MINI 2003-2 disc (with exception of the file dates and sizes of course) and so I assume that it will work just fine in the MINI's nav system. All of the files on the MINI 2003-2 disc are dated 6/21/2003 and on the BMW 2004-2 disc they are dated 11/17/2003. Thus, the BMW version is indeed newer as expected (although not by much).

Since my 2005 MCS was a lemon and I no longer have it (I'm waiting for my replacement car to arrive in February), I don't currently have a nav system of my own to try it out on. However, my neighbor also has a 2005 MCS with navigation and so I'll give him a copy and ask him to try it out for us.
I've now tested the DVD on my neighbor's MINI and it is working just fine. I've not explored it enough to say that I see any positive additions yet (such as updated maps, updated points of interests, etc.), but at least we know that it does indeed work.

BTW, as mentioned above, I have a 2005 MCS on order right now with sat nav (01/09/05 completion date), and I was hoping that it would get the new 2005-1 NavTeq map data DVD, but from what I'm hearing, the updated map data disc isn't going to be out until at least February. Thus, it looks like I'm going to get screwed again by MINI (and NavTeq) and get stuck with the two year old 2003-2 map data disc in my new car. It really sucks that I have to pay $1,700 for the nav system and then get stuck with two year old map data (and no free update DVD).

Anyway... My point to all of this rambling is that since the BMW discs work (and they always seem to be more up to date and more available than the MINI ones), maybe we'll be able to get access to a shared 2005-1 BMW map data disc instead. I'll be damned if I'm going to give any more money to MINI/NavTeq for map discs (as I've already bought two 2005 MINIs both of which have the two year old map data discs in them) and so I'm more than willing to share it if I can get a hold of one. Let's see what happens...

Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
What an interesting thread !!!

I want the English Female (well just the voice on my nav).
I am not that computer savy.
If I could get a disc and know it wont "mess" anything up.
I woul do it.
Just a bit scary reading all this

So should I do it ? Yess or No

Old 01-25-2005, 10:29 PM
OctaneGuy
**** Update 2/05
For the time being, I have suspended the option of sending out CD's. There have been a few instances of problems that I've been unable to rectify, and would rather stop sending these out until I can find out the reason for these issues.

Thanks
You've got nothing to lose. Send me an email with your address, year of your car, and software version of the NAV, and if you know if your Nav is DVD or CD based and I can send you 2 CD's containing the British Female voice and an Undo CD.

To find out what version you have, you go into the Settings menu and look at the upper right. You should see a 4-xx/xx

In my case it was 4-1/12. The 4 refers to the DVD Mark IV generation of the BMW Nav systems. The current latest version is 4-1/40. It looks like a huge jump, but it's really 4-1/12, 4-1/20, 4-1/30, and now 4-1/40.

The CD's are free, but I am requesting a minimum donation of $12 to c3 if you are happy with it.

Thanks

http://www.c3club.org/2/contribute.asp

Btw, I saw your email about the ZIP code problem on the Motoring Finder. Glad you found the answer.

Originally Posted by bpago
What an interesting thread !!!

I want the English Female (well just the voice on my nav).
I am not that computer savy.
If I could get a disc and know it wont "mess" anything up.
I woul do it.
Just a bit scary reading all this

So should I do it ? Yess or No

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 02-11-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Ok now you must really be wondering what your dealing with.

How do I tell if it is CD or DVD ?

I'm going to get the version # right now

Old 01-25-2005, 10:49 PM
OctaneGuy
Hahah, easy. When you bought your car, did it come with a bunch of CD's for your NAV, like 10 of them, or just 1 disc??

What year is your MINI? If it's early 2003 or before, it's most likely CD. If it's after July 2003, it's probably DVD.

The other way is to look at the version. If it starts with a 3, it's CD based, and you're outta luck! If it starts with a 4, then I can help you.

Richard

Originally Posted by bpago
Ok now you must really be wondering what your dealing with.

How do I tell if it is CD or DVD ?

I'm going to get the version # right now

Old 01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
SUCCESS! First rate guide

Brilliant, detailed guide on what to do.
Just updatd the system (MCS 2004) from /20 to /42 and added in the GBfemale voice. Fun differences in terminology as well as the lovely accent.
"In one quarter of a mile, turn right to enter the motorway"

She also sounds quite enthusiastic when saying "You have arrived!!"

Lovely!
MINI Steve

Old 01-29-2005, 11:27 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

I got the discs, did as the instructions said. Nothing ever came up on my NAV screen but it sounded like it was reading the disc. After about 8 minutes I gave up and tried to eject the disc. Nothing. I shut off the ignition and tried again. Nothing. Still sounds like its reading the disc and it wont eject it!! Someone please help i dont want to have to pay for a whole new nav unit.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:41 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Hahah, easy. When you bought your car, did it come with a bunch of CD's for your NAV, like 10 of them, or just 1 disc??
Actually even the people with the CD based system only got 1 disk. Just the one for the region they lived in, something that irritated the heck out of me since if I drove 30 miles west of my home and the dealership and poof I was off the disk!

What model year do you have? If you have a 2004 or later than you have a DVD system. If you have a 2003 and the car was built in February or earlier than you have a CD system... If your car was built in March, I'd say you have a 50/50 shot...

Old 01-29-2005, 11:46 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Can someone please help? The disc wont eject! Ugh I feel sick I cant afford $3000 for a new nav unit.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:51 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Hey Ant don't you have the CD system and not the DVD system?

Old 01-29-2005, 11:52 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
No its a DVD system. I am feaking out over here. If they cant get the CD and have to replace the entire NAV unit I can only imagine what that will cost.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:53 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
BTW Ant the information you seek is here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...616#post446616 it's not a pretty process but better than spending 3k....

Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Wow I wish I had known that this was a problem that others had experienced before I even attempted this. It really should be made known. There is no way I can do all that. Looks like a I just lost a grand. Unreal.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:14 PM
OctaneGuy
antsmini
Well actually it hasn't been a problem. He was one of like what 20 people that posted or more that have done the mod. I've done more 12 - 15 on my own, and never had any problems. The only one that didn't work for me was because he was CD based.

Which CD is stuck inside your drive?? The NO MOD or the British Female Voice?

mbabischkin
I didn't know that about the CD's. I've got a 2003 July Build and I think that was around the earliest of the DVD systems.

Steve
Congrats!!! I'm glad it worked well for you.

Originally Posted by antsmini
Wow I wish I had known that this was a problem that others had experienced before I even attempted this. It really should be made known. There is no way I can do all that. Looks like a I just lost a grand. Unreal.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 01-29-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:26 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
mbabischkin
I didn't know that about the CD's. I've got a 2003 July Build and I think that was around the earliest of the DVD systems.
When I was researching this back in '03 (and had been told by my dealer I'd be getting a DVD system) ASKMINI said the switch was done mid-March... This was a much delayed switchover, and had been expected to actually occur in Nov 2002 then Jan 2003 from what my dealer told me back then...

Old 01-30-2005, 05:55 AM
stever
3rd Gear
Which Files do I need.

I downloaded all of the files last night. But Now I am confused which ones I need. My current version is SW 4-1/20. I would like the Bristish Female voice. I downloaded the ISO software also.

Currently I unpacked the RAR file which contained one file BMW-Navi-24.nrg.
But the FTP site had more files on it so I downloaded all of them.

Can someone walk me through which files I need on the DVD?
I would also like to create a undo disk if possible.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:21 AM
stever
3rd Gear
I think I got it, or not?

I think I am ok with regards to burning the dvd. But when I put the disk in the Nav system. It did not say it was updating. All that happens is the Mini logo appears then disappers, then the cycle starts over. Did I do something wrong?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:58 AM
stever
3rd Gear
I am an Idiot

It helps to burn it to a CD-R instead of a DVD. I thought since I had a DVD player I needed to burn it to a DVD. I love my new british female voice Thanks for the posts everyone. Cherrio!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Chalk up another successful British voice hack! I was a bit nervous having heard of the occaisional failures, but took a deep breath and popped in the CD this morning and 'voila!' proper British instructions. She does sound a bit more digitized than the American voice, but I can live with that!
Cheers!

Old 02-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Alright, I admit it. I'm in love with the British chick. Whoever she is.

I only have to hear 'In one-quarter mile , turn left to join the motorway', and I'm hooked. And she no longer tells me to make a 'legal' U-turn.

The only disturbing artifact is that the MINI logo now takes a few seconds to appear after the door opens. It used to be immediate, but now there is a definite spinning of the CD and a few striated lines before the logo comes up.
The nag screen is still there, but the wording is somewhat different.
Altogether, a fitting adjustment.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:18 AM
OctaneGuy
Hey Eric!

Glad to hear that everything worked smoothly for you! The issue with the logo is a strange one to me. Not something I've seen or heard about. In my case, there was a 100% speed improvement over the original 4/12 software I had in all aspects--from searching the address book to changing between screens.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:04 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Right on!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the British hack. I've already dubbed her "Eliza" and I love the way she directs you to the Motorway! Ha!

I did notice, though, that the directional arrow in the right hand pane seems to flicker more - the solid arrow, that is - the outline arrow is fine. Not sure if this did it before since the wife never lets me drive Earl. . .

Seriously, thanks again for the info - I might upload the German voice files to the Spanish button - might be fun to be directed onto the Autobahn!

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio How to: Update Nav software/enable British voice