Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Squeeking when rolling from stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 03:49 AM
theWrkncacnter
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeeking when rolling from stop

I've noticed that my MCS makes a not-so-good squeeking noise sometimes when I let the clutch out in first and start moving from a stop. It usually happens when the car is cold, and it doesn't happen every time I start moving. There's also definitely a vibration associated with the noise, because I can feel it in the clutch pedal slightly. I'm a bit concerned that the clutch or transmission has a problem, but I haven't noticed any performance differences or evidince that the clutch is getting worn out. BTW I have a March 04 MCS with 19k miles on it. Any ideas?

Old 12-26-2004, 06:10 AM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
I have the same problem with my 02 MCS and so far it has not made the noise for the service tech I now have 23000 miles on it and no answer.

Old 12-26-2004, 04:23 PM
lotsie
Banned
My throttle pedal makes some noise,but I only hear it if everything is off,windows up,lets me know my foot is in it

Old 12-26-2004, 06:45 PM
CFMINI
4th Gear
I have had the same kind of clutch noise on ny 02 MCS for about 45k miles now. It has actually lessened a bit in the last 15k. Service techs claimed they never heard it - yeah right. Car is out of 36k warranty and near 50k mark, but clutch is still in good shape.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:15 PM
sketchedin
3rd Gear
If the sound that you are hearing can best be described as a heavy metal chair scooting across a hard, concrete floor, then I also have that sound. I have asked my MINI tech about it, and it is my clutch plate going out, I believe. I asked him about it approximately 10K miles ago and he said I would need to replace it soon. I have seen no change in performance, or frequency of the noise (occasionally, cold, startup) since I asked him about it. I am not too concerned, but I also do not have the nearly $2000 in funds to fix it. The piece is not expensive, but the hours of unwarranted (b/c of wear-and-tear issue) labor.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 AM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i also have this noise! the last two times i had the mini in for service they could not duplicate it. actually the last time i was in they told me it was my cold air intake...HA! so i removed it and installed the stock airbox again, and now you can hear the noise even better. i know it is the clutch, but i know the clutch disc is not worn out, there is no way. i know how to drive a stick, that's all i've ever owned, and i only have 40K mostly highway miles. so you bet i will get this replaced under warranty. anyone else have any experience with this noise?

Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
I had this same issure and brought it to the stealer. They said they replaced the throwout bearing. No more squeak. :smile:

Old 03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know if anyone has argued to have this issue resolved under warranty. Some have said that the dealer simply replaced the clutch, no hastle. My guy says that since the clutch gets wear it's not under warranty after the first 1,000 miles.......it's not a danger, works properly, just makes an annoying sound. Apparently, different strokes for different folks. Anyone have an opinion from MINI USA? MINI USA, do you have an opinion?

Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
I am starting to get that same noise that sketchedin is refering to. It started about 2 months ago. I'm guessing at about 43,000 miles. I would like to figure out what this problem is before my 50,000 mile warranty runs out. I hear it the loudest and most often when I start to climb a hill from a dead stop.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
is it the same as this? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=32571

hope that helps!

Also i finally brought it in to be serviced and told them about the noise and they are replacing the clutch no questions asked, the car only has 10,000 miles.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
Re: Squeeking when rolling from stop

I’m with MINI USA. I’m sorry your service experience was not what you expected. We are here to work with you and your Dealer. If you need our assistance, please phone us at (866) ASK MINI or email us at MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM and mention Reference # 200507600043 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:22 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
yeah, I've got the "orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt" noise from the clutch at take off too.The analogy of the chair pulled across the floor is a good one.1500 miles to go before I'm off warrentee,eeek

Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
holdenontoit--

If there was a way to spell out the way my car sounds on take off, I think you nailed it.

I need to make an appointment.

--alden

Old 03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Yep, holdenontoit, you smacked one right out of the ball park with your representation of the clutch sound. I'm going to tell everyone I know that I'm a member of the Orrrrrrrrrrrrt Club and now if they ask me......I can tell them how to spell it!

Also, it's satisfying to see a response from Mini Division. The reference number makes me feel like they could even be serious about wanting to resolve the issue. I will be taking them up on their offer to get in touch.....as should we all!

Old 03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
yeah, but in order to do it really correctly you have to do it INHALING , so it sounds like a lovesick seal let me know on this thread or by PM how you make out with MINI division. Jock

Old 03-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
This problem appears to apply mostly to '02's that are owned by intrepid travelers who had the vision to be among the first to say, "Let's motor". We all helped to launch the Mini on this side of the pond and there are those of us who have already taken some lumps.......me, I had the stumble and it wasn't very much fun. Nevertheless, we have persevered with our loyalty and we should not be asked to live with "orrrrrrrrrrrt" (sound made simultaneous with inhaling) until the present clutch gives out. Since there are dealers who have replaced clutch assemblies for some......the same should be simply and gladly offered to the rest of us.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
macaid
2nd Gear
Mice

Squeeking??? You've got Oxford plant mice. They must be stowaways. Hid and got stuck in your clutch assembly I would guess. Damn nuisance those little buggers!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
the squeaking and vibration i get from a dead stop only occurs if i let out the clutch with too little gas, particularly on an incline. the steeper the incline, the more gas i need to give to avoid the squeak and shudder.

btw, i have a late '03 mcs jcw.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
I decided that since my service manager is a really good guy, I first want to extend the courtesy of speaking with him again before going over his head. I stopped by today, but he won't be in again until Monday. I'll let him know that I have a reference number from MINI Division to discuss the issue.....and see what happens.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:42 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I Used To

I used to hear that exact same thing. It started about the middle of the winter. My 02 MCS had about 25-27,000 miles on it. First time I pointed it out to the dealer they could not reproduce it. They did notice fluid leaking from the main seal of the transmission. In any case they replaced the clutch and the seal under warranty. The dealer called it a "Clutch Pack".

No more squeak.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
I notified my service manager that I would be calling Mini Division. Fine. When I spoke to MD they said they are looking at this problem as one that is the result of normal wear and that dealers who are replacing clutches are doing it on their own in the name of customer good will.......not because they have to. Looks like Mini of the Main Line falls a little short on good will toward it's customers. Mini Division says they'll notify me if the status on the situation ever changes. Hey, MINI Division......this sound shouldn't be happening.....it's a nuisance that no one should have to live with until their clutch finally goes. There may be normal wear, but this is not a normal sound! Where does the working with me and the dealer part come in to play here? I feel like I'm getting screwed by both of you!!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
I'll second that.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
If anyone with this problem finds a dealership within a days drive of Philadelphia that has good will toward it's customers please let me know!

Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Add me to the Orrrrrrrrrrrrt club

At least I know others are having this problem too. This is my first manual tranny & I thought I was doing something wrong.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:44 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
*******************UPDATE************************* ***

with 150 miles to go before I rolled 50K , I took Zane Gray into MINI Peabody and the service Mgr. said that I had a bum throw out bearing that he would replace the whole clutch under warrentee!!!!!!!There is a God, and his name is GARY KING! Squeeky wheel gets the grease. Jock

Quick Reply: Squeeking when rolling from stop