DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

DCMM Roads & Rails Rally, Saturday November 13

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCMM Roads & Rails Rally, Saturday November 13 9:00AM

Early warning on what promises to be a great fall event!

When:Saturday, November 13
Start Time: Meet between 8:30 and 8:45. Run begins promptly at 9:00 am.
Start Place: Burger King Restaurant. 2.1 miles north of I-95 on Alt US1 at Sulpher Spreing Road.Address is 3840 Washington Blvd, Halethorpe MD 21227.
Lunch: Lunch is at: Olive Leaf Cafe. 301-829-9500. 1001 Twin Arch Road, #20, Mt Airy, MD 21771.
Our reservation is at 1:00 pm.
Run ends after lunch
Lunch is buffet style.
Lunch is set up at an Italian Restaurant on the route. Menu details and costs will be advsied well in advance.
Event Fee: $8.00 per MINI for non-DCMM members. No charge for DCMM members!
Route Sheet: Is attached for your review. Please print and bring to the start of the run.
Maps: Maps of the rest points and route start/end points are attached for your reference.

The will be a run which will take us through the history of some Roads and Rails in the Maryland area. A really great file, done by our Route Master Mike (ValnMike) is attached for your review

http://www.dcmetrominis.org/going/RoadsAndRails.pdf

The route in the process of being tested and further details will be posted as we get them.

RSVP by 11.5.04 to events@dcmetrominis.org

Last edited by Jen; 10-11-2004 at 05:35 AM. Reason: final event information and links
Old 09-29-2004, 08:40 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fun, fun... count me in!

Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Beanbag
1st Gear
Me, too.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:33 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
NekoWoman, Paul and Val & I just finished the Roads and Rails route dry run. What a beautiful day this is to have been out motoring! I hope we have some of this weather on 11/13.

The route bears up under scrutiny and NW and Paul said they liked the roads I had chosen. I have to make a few mileage revisions to the route sheet before I send it in for posting.

Here is a mapquest link to the Burger King start point. If you put in your start point it will provide driving directions to the restaurant.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...type=GenSearch

I'd like to discuss how much stop time to put in. I have two rest stops and two photo op stops in the plan. Four stops in all. I'd be interested to know what others think so I can use it to back into a start time. We must be at the restaurant before 1:00 PM (for the buffet), and we only have the meeting room until 4 PM (another group is coming behind us). If we get to the restaurant at 1:00, that should be enough time to eat and have a meeting. But what start time? That is the question. -=Mike=-

Old 10-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Updated information

First post has been updated with timing and start point addresses. I am having some trouble attaching the promised attachments!

OK - I have the route sheet attached. The maps - for some reason the spam catcher at work won't let me upload them, so I will try from home again tonight!

Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Interesting... You're going to run right into my backyard practically.

We'll actually be having an WDCR SCCA Solo II Committee meeting that same day, and there are FIVE out of 20 of us that are MINI owners.

Brian

Old 10-27-2004, 04:19 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BGarfield

We'll actually be having an WDCR SCCA Solo II Committee meeting that same day, and there are FIVE out of 20 of us that are MINI owners.

Brian
I've heard about the event and am glad you are getting such a great MINI turn out. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see you at another event sometime.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Count us in!

Old 11-01-2004, 01:01 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BGarfield

Brian
Are you the LY/W MCS I see parked along Dogwood?

Old 11-01-2004, 01:23 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Nope, I live in the "Nottingham" developement off of Watersville Road just before you get to Rt. 27.
Mine's a Red/White with a big red "S" on the roof and white racing stripe. You can't miss the sound of the Supertrapp if I drive by...
The meeting I'm speaking of is the Committe meeting for the Washington D.C. Region of the Sports Car Club of America. In other words, the major organization that puts on Autocrosses in the region.

Brian Garfield
WDCR SCCA Solo II
Novice Coordinator

Old 11-02-2004, 09:57 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
Cannot make it

I am quite upset.. I cannot make this run.. I was so looking forward to... but I have a wedding to attend and I have already RSVP.

Have fun !!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Lunch and Fee Payment Information

I have given our head count this morning to Olive Leaf Cafe. We have about 18 cars and about 26 people signed up.

Lunch comes (including the buffet, soft drinks, tax and tip) to $9.50 per person. Anyone order alcoholic beverages will need to pay on their own please.

There is no event fee for DCMM members. Fee for non members is $8.00 per car.

Want to just take care of all this now?
I was hoping you'd say that!

You can now use PayPal to pay for the event fee for the Roads and Rails Rally.

The e mail address to send payments to is: events@dcmetrominis.org. You do not need to provide an address!

If you are using PayPal, please help me by doing the following

1. Please pay by 10:00 pm on Friday, November 12
2. Please print a recepit and bring it with you on Saturday morning.

Thank you

Jen

Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Hey, I can actually DO this run! No skeddy conflicts for a change.

Incidentally, I live about 4 miles from the starting point in Halethorpe. Anyone interested in meeting at my place beforehand to tighten lug bolts or torque your spark plugs? I'd be happy to have people over before the run and we could caravan down from there.

Let me know - open invitation, people.

Marty

Old 11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Hey kids...since we're going to be in Sykesville on our run, would anyone like to meet Rob Freeman? Who's that, you say? Rob owns and operates ProForm, a chip protection company. He did the clear bra on my car (his 1st MCS), on my hubby's old car and we'll get him to apply it to our new car. He's a great guy, at least in my experience, and does excellent work. He lives about one minute from the center of Sykesville, so he'll be close by.
Please let me know soon, so I can call him and give him a heads up. I'm sure, if he's available, he'll want to come by to say howdy and pass out a few business cards and answer a few questions. So....whuddya say?

Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Updated route sheet

Is attached for your review

Katie - totally Mike's call on meeting Rob. Just need to be sure we can make the stop and stay on schedule to get to lunch on time.

Jen

Old 11-09-2004, 08:02 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
ok, I'll ask our fearless leader. I understand we'd only be in Sykesville for 20 mins. I guess that doesn't give us too much time.....it was a thought.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM
valnmike
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
Hey kids...since we're going to be in Sykesville on our run, would anyone like to meet Rob Freeman? Who's that, you say? Rob owns and operates ProForm, a chip protection company. He did the clear bra on my car (his 1st MCS), on my hubby's old car and we'll get him to apply it to our new car. He's a great guy, at least in my experience, and does excellent work. He lives about one minute from the center of Sykesville, so he'll be close by.
Please let me know soon, so I can call him and give him a heads up. I'm sure, if he's available, he'll want to come by to say howdy and pass out a few business cards and answer a few questions. So....whuddya say?
Go ahead and invite Rob. I hope we can arrive in Sykesville between 11:00 and 11:30. The last segment, between Sykesville and the restaurant, should take approx. 1 hour with the photo stop that's planned. I think that the group needs to leave Sykesville by Noon if we can. A lot will depend on the size of the group. Last I heard, we were expecting 18 MINIs. I’ve only driven the route with a group of 3, so it’s difficult to judge the timing. (We also had to make a minor adjustment and now plan to park in the lot adjoining the Sykesville police station. Updated route sheet is posted just above in Jen's post from today.)

Old 11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
OK, I'll give him a call. :smile:

Old 11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Add one more. Like a putz I forget to say I was coming sooner... Sorry!

Old 11-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Add one more. Like a putz I forget to say I was coming sooner... Sorry!
Most of the time I just assume our fearless leader will be joining us!

To all - please don't forget to take advantage of PayPal tonight to pay for lunch in advance. No money to worry about tomorrow!

Old 11-12-2004, 05:38 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Ok just want to confirm, because it's a little confusing. Can we use the paypal account to prepay for lunch tomorrow? It was originally posted that you could pay the event fee this way...

Old 11-12-2004, 08:39 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I've been unable to reach Rob Freeman, so I guess we'll just bag it. Maybe another time.....

Old 11-12-2004, 03:19 PM
ChiliBit
2nd Gear
I believe that Bea and I RSVP'd separately, but just in case, we will be there and will join in at lunch. I use PayPal on occasion but I don't remember sending to an email addresss, so I will do cash tomorrow.

Vince

Old 11-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Ok just want to confirm, because it's a little confusing. Can we use the paypal account to prepay for lunch tomorrow? It was originally posted that you could pay the event fee this way...
Yes, you can use to prepay for lunch. A few people have done and and paid the event fee.

(I got your payment just fine)

Old 11-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Hey Jen,

Is it too late to RSVP for this event?

All,

Anyway, that was a good run! Lots o' fun! And after I left the parking lot, I took my MINI on some backroads to see if I could replicate the smell that my car was making (maybe?) during the run. I ran a few twisties at around 5000-5500 RPM, and no smell. So I don't know exactly what was up. I'm now thinking that it may have been coolant that I was smelling after all. I plan on cleaning the outside of my coolant tank and drip pan/heat shield thingy tomorrow, and tossing my MINI around local back roads. If I find drips anywhere, then I found my culprit!

Anyway, thanks again to all for a fun run! See ya all at the next one!

-Paul!

Quick Reply: DCMM Roads & Rails Rally, Saturday November 13