R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 These keys are too damn big. Here's one way to deal with it

Old 04-13-2004, 01:57 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got sick of dealing with this huge key and decided to do something about it. I found out you can spearate the key from the fob without damaging or modifying any part of the key:

To do this, first you pop the cover off the key with a screwdriver. It may take a little force, but you shouldn't be able to break anything. Pry around the edge with the screwdriver if it's stubborn.

Then you'll see a little tube that holds the metal part of the key in. I thought for a while this was glued or press fit in too tight to budge, but with the right tool you can work it out easily. I used a tiny Craftsman pliers (UPC 32857 10117). I had to wedge it in there and work it around and out a little before the tube slid out enough to grab it.

Now you just wiggle the metal key out of the fob. Once you get it out, you can see that the key part does not connect to the electronics in the fob in any way. There was talk that having the key in the ignition would charge the fob battery but that is not true.

Once the metal part is out, you can attach a small keyring to it through the the hole from the tube. The metal tube can be slid back in the fob for safekeeping in case you want to reassemble the key later.

Enjoy :smile:

Old 04-13-2004, 02:10 PM
sdanaher
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
awesome.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:18 PM
NRX13
2nd Gear
Now go figure out how to attach it to a VW key. Flip key baby! It can be done, i swear.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about the little micro-chip thingy that the MINI must be able to read in order to start the car? Is it located inside the metal key part?

I have had a fantasy to have one of the plastic emergency keys cast in sterling silver, but can't figure out what to do about the microchip.

Maybe MINIUSA will read this and offer the sterling silver key as a functional piece of jewelry. I'd wear mine around my neck!

Old 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Great info early_apex!

Now an experiment for you: will the key by itself still performs all of its normal functions if the fob portion is several hundred feet away?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:26 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I was researching that this morning. The VW dealers can cut a key blank in house. THe VW key is about $60. You should be able to take your key to VW, buy a blank and have them cut it. What I don't know, is would the shape of the MINI ignition accept the VW fob shape. I dont know. While I was pondering that I decided to dig into the MINI key and see what I could some up with.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:29 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
To add to the VW key comments, both the VW key and the MINI key are made by Valeo, and I believe the metal shaft is identical between the two. I haven't seen them side by side to confim this though. The VW blank cut to a MINI key should work, if the plastic opening around the ignition will allow the VW key to fit.

Nick T. - do you mean will the metal key start the car and open the doors if you didn't have the fob on you? I haven't tried yet, but if the plastic key will work w/o the fob, the metal chunk should too.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
RaiderZA
4th Gear
I know my dealer sticks the key into a reader he has connected to his PC and can get my mileage, etc straight from the key. I wonder if this is still possible with the separated key?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:32 PM
NRX13
2nd Gear
You need the chip to start the ignition.

I tried

Also, pretty cool, if you hit the lock button on the key while you're in the car, hold the plastic part of the key up to the ignition after locking it, BAM doors unlock

Old 04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Trippy
Banned
That's MUCH better than what I did Key too big

And a thread about it from a year ago with people insulting me. High-performance ignition key. Add 5 HP.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I saw your pics Trippy and almost did what you did but never got around to it. I had planned on trying to drill out the tube...

I happened to pick up these little pliers a few weeks ago and they worked great for diggin that thing out.

Have you had any problems running with the shaft separated from the fob?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>Have you had any problems running with the shaft separated from the fob?

If you mean keeping the engine running after it's started, no. The fob is only used when starting the engine. You can demonstrate this yourself by starting the engine with the fob near the ignition and then walking away with the car running.

If you mean using the remote lock/unlock, I never use it, so I wouldn't know. But I don't think there would be a problem since the antenna in integrated into the PCB.

If you mean getting the engine started. bvery occasionally, the fob is not close enough to the ignition, and NOTHING happens. I'm going to just mount the chip in a little blob of plastic (someday...)

If you mean "running" then no also. I only run with scissors, never the car keys.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:47 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Does anyone know how the car and the fob talk? RF?

Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 PM
kumquat78
3rd Gear
>> I'd wear mine around my neck!

Actually, I wear mine around my neck. No kidding. Always keeps the MINI close to my heart. I never take the thing off, sleeping, bathing, swimming, always on. Still works too.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Hows about just using the "wallet" back-up key

Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I dont trust that plastic key.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:44 PM
SynapticFire
1st Gear
I bet the micro chip for the plastic wallet key is in the round part at the top. (anyone know for sure?)
I'd wager you could cut the key part off the end, and just carry around the top chip part from the plastic key, and the shaft from the metal key. Save a lot of space.
Thoughts?

Old 04-13-2004, 06:24 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think you could use the pastic key to drive the car.

I just did the mod, love it. Thanks for the info Apex...

As for the VW thing, I would like to see someone try that...

Old 04-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 'chip' used for the starter disable is actually contained in the 'lid' (side not containing the circuitry) of the key when it's opened. It's the tiny rectangular item with the Phillips logo on it near the keyring end. It is exceptionally small and easy to incorporate into any sort of 'aftermarket' key handle. In fact, the chip is contained in the plastic 'wallet' or valet key you got with the car, in the end. The rest of the circuitry you see in the key is strictly the transmitter for the alarm/keyless entry.

The transmitter can be kept separate from the 'chip', they dont need to be together for either to function. Installing the 'chip' in any non-metallic key handle would function just fine.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>I bet the micro chip for the plastic wallet key is in the round part at the top. (anyone know for sure?)

In fact, I know for sure.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>Does anyone know how the car and the fob talk? RF?

The Philips PCF7930AS RFID chip uses a magnetic field for power, and an RF field for signalling.
It's a very small distinction, but sometimes important.

You can read all about it here at the Philips tech center site. PCF7935 data sheet (Compatible with our PCF7930)
Philips site

Did you know that the car can WRITE information into your key fob that the dealer can then read?

Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
1OFMINI
1st Gear
I'm amused by the effort that went into this project.
The complaint is that the MINI's key is "too damn big".
Really?
Vehicles today generally come with a key and a separate remote which most of us shove into our pockets or clip onto a key ring.
MINI consolidates both into what is really a compact unit.
Looking at the pictures, I see the "too damn big" key, three rings, and a honking big "S".
Whew, quite a load to carry.
Then, some time and effort is spent separating the remote from the blade.
Voila, the result: a "too damn big" key, now in two pieces, three rings, and a honking big "S".
What was gained, or more appropriately, lost?
Maybe what's needed are bigger pockets, or getting rid of some of the rings, and the honking big "S".
Try carrying the key alone, being "too damn big", I find it hard to misplace.
Seems like time lost that could have been spent motoring.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Trippy
Banned
I tossed the whole remote-control head, and now have the chip black taped to my keyring.

I REALLY need to get something better than that, but can you see how getting rid of the huge remote-control end of the key does indeed reduce the size and mass of the key to about 15% of the original size and weight?

I don't like huge honking keys in my pocket. (Even if they don't actually honk)

Old 04-13-2004, 08:45 PM
spav
3rd Gear
My wife has the big VW flip out key. While neat and all, it sucks. It's huge, and doesn't connect to any kind of ring in a nice way. With that, my old VW key and my house key's it really sucks. From my test drives I like the Mini key on it's own. When I attach it to the ring with the VW key, it's going to suck. I'd rather VW had a smaller key option like Mini's, but this is not a VW site. I'll worry about that when I get my Mini :smile:

Old 04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I'm finding that the car isn't starting reliably with the chip very far at all form the ignition. I'd say it needs to be within 1/2 inch or less to work consistantly.

Trippy, did you run into the same problem? Does attaching the chip to your keyring solve it? Have any pics?

10FMINI - it's the length that is obnoxious. It's long for no good reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 These keys are too damn big. Here's one way to deal with it