Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Pioneer AVIC-N1 - looks VERY interesting! Built in DVD, GP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:00 AM
Normalizer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer headunit from Crutchfield

This looks like it might be EXACTLY what I want.... an all in one solution. In dash DVD with mp3, GPS Nav, access to OBD so you can disply Speed, Gforces, rpms, etc....

anybody out there seen one in person?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
That looks AWESOME. If this thing would integrate with the MFSW I would go buy one right now even though I haven't even placed my Mini order yet.

Doug

Old 04-02-2004, 10:48 AM
caddman
Banned
MIne is going in on tuesday...

Old 04-02-2004, 11:09 AM
kgmini
2nd Gear
That's awesome! I think I need to change my shorts!

Old 04-02-2004, 11:18 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
It is an awsome unit! The only thing that I don't like about it is the illumination, which doesn't match the orange of the MINI.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:29 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
>>MIne is going in on tuesday...

Does it work with MFSW? Tell me yes and you'll make my day.

Doug

Old 04-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Storer
5th Gear
Now, THAT'S Big *****!

That might be the single coolest thing I've ever seen...

Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 AM
dcsmd007
>>Does it work with MFSW? Tell me yes and you'll make my day.

This is your day! :smile:

Old 04-06-2004, 10:01 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
I've been looking into the AVIC-N1 too! It sounds awesome but I too would like to see it in person and hear the nav. I figure rather than $1000 for a Garmin, $300 for an iPod, mount, power supply/dock, aux input, and so on, for a little more you get it all in one with DVD.

Caddman, tell us how the install went and share pictures PLEASE! Did you install it yourself or have someone else do it? I'd like to do it myself but not sure what this "tapping into speed wire" stuff is (for the guages). I read to fit it in a MINI "some" modifications (cutting, drilling, filing) need to be made. What are they? Also, where did they hide the white box for the unit? How do you like it? How's the nav? Does it have a British accent voice option? :smile: Please share all the details.

About the adapter so it works with the multi-function steering wheel- what's the name/model/info on that?

Old 04-06-2004, 10:07 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
One last question for Caddman- if you have yours hooked up with a cd changer, can you operate the changer (listen to CD's) AND do the dvd nav at the same time??? I know it can do radio, nav, and dvd to rear monitor, but it doesn't mention cd changer and nav operation simultaneously.
Thanks!

Old 04-08-2004, 08:52 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
>>MIne is going in on tuesday...

Its been two days already...don't keep us in suspense!

Doug

Old 04-08-2004, 08:57 AM
caddman
Banned
OK, it was installed yesterday!!, I am a professional intasser from years ago, i admitt not up to spee like i use to be but anyways an easy install, except for two things, the cage in the dash(which is a problem with any aftermarket radio), i ended up notching the side plastic, im sure there are other options out ther as well(pretty easy fix) and the speed sensor wire, which i left disconnected for the moment. Everything still works without, but if you were to lose sat signal if would be "lost" until signal is regained. all the vehical dynamics still work(guages). I will get some pics up tonight!! I put the hideaway under the passenger seat with the xm module, and to answer your question, from previous pioneer system, yes you can do navi while playing from a changer, xm, dvd, radio, etc etc, actually a changer makes it nicer due to the ability to leave the navi disc in(intead of loading then taking out to put a cd in)Nope no britsh accent( )I am still inthe "learning" phase of the new unit but is very familiar to past pioneer experince.....I dont have the ,multi function cant help you on that one....

Old 04-08-2004, 08:58 AM
caddman
Banned
im still researching where the vehical speed sensor wire is, but it is not a must hookup.....

Old 04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
gravedgr
4th Gear
Coolness! Thanks for the write-up, and I'm looking forward to your pictures. Hope you don'd mind a few more questions.

1) Could you give more detail on the cage problems? Is it cage depth? Width? Lack of mounting area? (I'm clueless on audo installation)
2) What's the hideaway (again, stupid questions)?
3) How much of the speedo is covered by the screen?
4) I don't recall it being touch-screen, can you confirm?
Thanks in advance for all the info! I like your idea about changer+nav, but I'm really interested in the MP3 aspect so my only real choice would be an add-on MP3 changer or jukebox.

Doug

Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM
CPUWiz
1st Gear
Hey, take a look at this site for more info and a review. It does say the unit has a touch screen.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13861

Frank

Old 04-08-2004, 04:06 PM
CPUWiz
1st Gear
Here is the press release for the unit. Lots of good info!

Frank

Old 04-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
yes, pictures of it installed, with screen open, if possible....

Old 04-08-2004, 11:28 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Awesome! Thanks Caddman. If you have pics of install too, that'd be great. Did you purchase a specific wiring harness for this unit (if so, details please)? Do you think it would it be easy enough to hook up the MINI oem cd-changer to the unit or trash it and buy a Pioneer changer? Just wondering how connections/wiring go. Have fun getting lost just to test your nav, Caddman. Don't forget to report back how you like it and how is the angle- see the screen okay?

I can answer a ? or two for gravedgr...
2) Check out the link to Crutchfield above- go to the more pictures tab and see the white box unit. It's got the gps positioner and whatever else in it- comes with the system and you have to install it in the car in the direction shown.
3) Based on pics I've seen of other dvd pop-ups in the MINI, it seems like the screen goes up to the box in the speedo where the tripometer and mileage are displayed. See pic from MINI2- this is not the same model, but it is a Pioneer.

4) It's def a touch-screen.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Normalizer
4th Gear
ok, before anyone blasts me for implying that I'd want to watch a movie while driving.... I wouldn't but my passenger might, and I can ignore the screen....

how hard is it to defeat the anti-video while driving features that are (I believe) on these types of systems? Seems to me that with just power and antennae leads hooked up the stereo wouldn't know park from any other gear, but I admit to being ignorant of the whole thing.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Hmmm, interesting. It calls for hooking up a wire in the harness to the hand brake wiring, so the dvd video display in front only plays a dvd when the hand brake is activated/on. So, what if you just hook up that wire to something else that is always active when the car is on? Dunno what that wire would be, but I'm sure there's something you can hook it to so it'd work. Something in the fuse box? But then could you use the nav and play a dvd on the front screen or just one at a time?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM
gravedgr
4th Gear
My plan for the DVD player is to play movies during long trips. After many hours on the road, I tend to get sleepy regardless of the music being played. We have tried books on CD and they work very well (anything that engages the imagination / mind is excellent) at keeping me awake without distracting too much. I'd like to have a movie in that my wife could watch and I could listen to while I drive, so defeating the no-play-while-moving mechanism would be a must.

Doug

Old 04-11-2004, 10:10 PM
dcsmd007
>>how hard is it to defeat the anti-video while driving features that are (I believe) on these types of systems?

Not hard at all. Of all the NAV systems I installed, only Alpine requires a module or an override switch to view the monitor while the car is in motion, whereas Pioneer and Kenwood systems need simply grounding a wire.

>>It calls for hooking up a wire in the harness to the hand brake wiring, so the dvd video display in front only plays a dvd when the hand brake is activated/on. So, what if you just hook up that wire to something else that is always active when the car is on? Dunno what that wire would be, but I'm sure there's something you can hook it to so it'd work.

You're on the right track. For Pioneer in-dash screens, the wire connecting to the hand brake has to see (-) ground in order to activate the screen while the car is in motion. This can be done by grounding this particular wire. Then, the screen is always activated.

By grounding this wire, the monitor can be viewed while the car is in motion. Additional advantage is that all the Nav features are accessible and functional when the car is in motion.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:22 PM
dcsmd007
>>But then could you use the nav and play a dvd on the front screen or just one at a time?

Once the navigation route is set, the program is stored in the main unit. At this point, the Nav DVD can be removed from the DVD drive and insert a DVD for your viewing pleasure. When viewing DVD while navigating, the system delivers a voice prompt for Nav in addition to the direction appearing on the corner of the screen. One of the nice features is the total integration of the Nav, DVD, Radio, CD changer, phone, reverse assist camera, and..... This Pioneer unit is loaded with features at a very attractive price.

Old 04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Storer
5th Gear
CADDMAN, WHERE ARE THE PICS MAN?! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS BAD BOY IN ACTION!!!!

Old 04-13-2004, 04:35 PM
caddman
Banned
ill get them up ina sec... the handbrake wire you just put to ground, then every thing will work all the time...let me go take some pics real quick..

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Pioneer AVIC-N1 - looks VERY interesting! Built in DVD, GP