Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Loud click/tick upon descel or asceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:35 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How best to decribe it?

The car begins to go forward, CLICK. I let off the accelerator, CLICK. I notice it most at low speeds. It comes and goes like the weather. Once i heard the wheels go click-click-click as I drove along. Dealership found no sound unusual to their cooper s. I think their cooper s has every bug listed on this forum plus some we haven't discovered yet. But then it wasn't making the noise when i handed it over to them.

That's the story. What could make that noise? Seems to come from LF wheel.

And really - are all cooper Ss making that noise?

TIA

Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 PM
cparmley
1st Gear
Before my MCS warms up, the car emits a ticking noise when back pressure builds up. It always happens in second gear at 3K to 4K rpms - see I live at the top of a hill and as I coast down, I leave it in second, building up backpressure in the exhaust. If I shift up to lower RPMs or if I engage the clutch, the noise stops. Also, once the car warms ups, the tick stops. It does sound like the noise is coming from the left side, most likely because I have my driver's side window rolled down.

I had the dealer look at it two weeks ago - could not replicate the problem. I'm almost 100% positive it's the exhaust system.

Try this, when the engine is warming up, park, roll down the windows and rev it up to 4K in neutral. If you you hear the tick as the pressure builds up, we got the same problem.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:28 AM
GMINIO
5th Gear
no luck cm. i love the sound my exhauset makes helping me down a hill in second gear. Nope. this sound is so drivetrain or suspension oriented I could scream. Shift momentum to forward "TICK", let it off "tick". Noticed most in first and second gears.

Thanks, tho.

Old 09-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A common source of clicks, bumps and clanks on accel and decel are motor/trans mounts and drive axles. In a front-drive car, on acceleration the engine/trans leans towards the back of the car in reaction to the torque being applied to the drive axles/wheels. The engine leans forward on deceleration as the car's momentum drives the now coasting engine. The mountings for the engine are elastic (rubber) to prevent vibrations from the engine from shaking the car body. This elastic nature allows this movement, which is normal. Any loose mounts would shift and click the same way a table with one short leg teeters when weight is put on opposing corners.

Because the engine shifts around during normal operation, anything connecting to the engine from the chassis needs to be flexible. Wiring, hoses, and the exhaust and intakes. If any of these are loose or rubbing against something, they can make noises as well. A defective drive axle or drive axle joint can also make noises as well.

In diagnosing similar noises in other people's cars, I basically attach a very long, stout metal bar to the engine and rock the entire assembly back and forth. If it is a mount problem or friction between the engine or it's components and the body, you will hear (and subsequently find) the problem. To find similar problems with drivetrain components, park the car on level pavement, put it in first gear with the brake off, and push the car forwards and backwards (rock it). You are simulating the acceleration and deceleration forces in this way. If you hear the noise, it can be located and fixed.

The second of these methods require no tools, and works if you have a manual transmission. For an automatic, leave it in park. Do this with the hood open and you will see the engine rock back and forth. It doesnt require Herculean strength either. just DONT do it on a hill or incline. Simply lean into it and back off.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:41 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
GMINIO,

sorry to hear you are having problems with your car, hope you get it fixed soon

Old 09-23-2003, 03:42 PM
CCM
4th Gear
If it's coming from the wheels it could be a bad wheel bearing. My MCS developed a "click", "snik" (around 27,000 miles) when I would take off in first or in reverse. Traced to a bad wheel bearing. Diagnosis was tough. I ended up with two new drive shafts in the elimination process!

Old 09-23-2003, 06:08 PM
GMINIO
5th Gear
>>GMINIO,
>>
>>sorry to hear you are having problems with your car, hope you get it fixed soon.

Thanks, trevor. I hope I see you soon.

>>CCM

That definitely gives me a lead. Thanks a bunch! Now I just have to wait until it's on all the time so the shop can't say it's normal.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
iDiaz
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
GMINIO, did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact same problem on my '04 MCS. Anytime weight shifts forward or backwards beyond a certain point, I get a click, sometimes more than one. It's driving me nuts!

Old 06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
samawil
5th Gear
Interesting

Old 06-16-2004, 01:31 PM
iDiaz
Yeah, and it's exactly the same as GMINIOs problem, right down to it not happening when I had Steve from Steve's Auto Clinic take it for a spin with me in the passenger seat. Left-front wheel, too. It happens moving forward OR reverse. I jacked up that corner of the car, left it in first gear, and tried turning the wheel back and forth to see if it was maybe a half-shaft sound, but couldn't replicate it. I could hear the usual transmission sounds, but no clicking.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
iDiaz
I'll try rocking the car back and forth in first gear when I get off of work, which would more accurately simulate the amount of weight shifting that occurs when we accelerate/decelerate.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM
samawil
5th Gear
Have you asked "the Dr?" He might know what's causing this.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
iDiaz
Nuh uh, but I'm swingin' by his house after work today. Maybe he'll be able to offer some insight.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 PM
iDiaz
I just went outside and tested it by rocking the car back and forth in first gear with the engine off. Sure enough, it clicked, and it sounds like it's coming from the left-front wheel well. I don't think it's coming from anywhere under the hood.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:50 PM
iDiaz
Well, I think it might be a brake-related issue, which Peter concurred. However, I got a reply back from a PM to GMINIO:

Yo. The drivers side front axle assembly was replaced. Vassily at Prestigfe MINI says the fault lies somewhere within the axle, not any of the other components in the assembly. No more click besides one in my rear that wpund up being my rear caliper seized up. MINI won't repair it.

Quote me on my thread please. I can't play here as safari conflicts with the new format.

Old 06-17-2004, 04:58 AM
samawil
5th Gear
Then Use internet Explorer, that usually works for me when safari is acting up... it came equipped with my powerbook

L