R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My girlfriend doesn't get "the whole MINI thing"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 AM
MiniMedic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My girlfriend doesn't get "the whole MINI thing"

i'm am not a mini fan or sportman, i'm a straight up junkie. i wanted and waited and saved for a year to get it and now it's here and i love it. break in was completed in 10 days. nmmini.org is doing a run down hwy 191 next week. i mentioned it to her and was met with the response "umm so your going to drive 4 hours to go drive with some other minis?" she didn't ask to see it for a week when i got it. i figured she was just being a hater because it's wayyyy nicer then her 08 mazda 3, but now i think she's just clueless. she asks "what's the big deal with that car? cause it's little?" how do you explain that which is the MINI to someone? explain 40 years of heritage. the rallies, the races, the awards, the movies. the fact that i didn't go to a dealer and pick a car that had the things i wanted, but that several people came to work one day to build my car. for me. the smile when i knife through traffic like a light saber through warm butter. when people look in the window and say "holy ***** there is a lot of room in here!" will she ever "get it"? or just let her take the bus....

Old 09-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Dump her.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow!

I'd say tell her to take the bus if she starts trying to stop you from being a MINI junkie. If she is just clueless, but not stopping you, then carry on, but if she ever says "no it's dumb and you can't go" then buy her tickets

By the way, Welcome

Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Froglips
1st Gear
No one that does not own one, or has not driven one, will ever understand, Bro! I did not "get it" either until I drove mine. Sure I wanted one real bad, and pretty much gave away my 2003 Harley Fat Boy so I could get my MINI... But I truly did not "Get It" until I drove it home from the dealership.

People who do not drive MINI's get from point A to point B and back as soon as possible. People who drive MINI's do the same thing but have lots of fun doing so, and actually look for reasons to motor around.

I second the 1st reply. DUMP her ASAP!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Always good in a relationship to have an outside consuming interest away from each other. So if your girlfriend doesn't fully get it, that gives you some time alone with your MINI. Take her on the rally and she how she reacts. Then just go from there.

CROC 411

Old 09-02-2008, 03:57 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Dump her.
Your MINI is too good for her and it can do much better.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:59 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Dump her.

My wife's a car nut. She's the one to remind me I have to set aside enough money to fund our annual March trip to the 12 Hours of Sebring, and the Generac 500 at Road America, and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. She's the one that got depressed when they cancelled the USGP. She's more excited about getting the MINI than I am. She's a keeper!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Believe it or not some people like your girlfriend even own MINI's and they don't get it either.
They have purchased the MINI for the gas mileage only and don't wave back
when they encounter another MINI.
I think it is the dealers responsibility to interview each potential MINI owner and find out why they want a MINI.
Maybe even go as far as making them write a 10 page essay on why they should be allowed to own a MINI.
Then present that essay to us here on NAM and we will vote on who gets to own a MINI.
Those that don't pass will be referred to Volkswagen or Mazda dealer for their gas saving attitudes.
There should also be a probation period where if your caught never waving back (after multiple offenses)
your MINI privilege will be revoked and the MINI will be given to a waiting family that will truly appreciate
the MINI for what it really is... A part of your family.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
RaceTripper your post has brought tears to my eyes....
You are one lucky man...
MiniMedic, you need to find a woman like RaceTripper's because trust me when
I tell you that if you marry this one she will eventually tell that you can't spend
anymore money on your MINI Mods or Rally weekends.

Last edited by cabriopilot; 09-02-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:19 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Take her to an event, even a smallish rally with 15 to 20 cars. Get her involved as your navigator/co-pilot/photographer, not your passenger. Giver her the map and/or rally driving directions. Make her in charge of refreshments. Give her the video or digital camera. Have her take pictures of the line of MINIs going down a curvy road, while hanging out the window or sunroof. Make her seek the perfect shot.

If you get her involved in the event, she'll surely have more fun, and who knows? She may even enjoy herself, potentially enough to "get it", or at the very least, understand what "getting it" means to you.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:45 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMedic
...nmmini.org is doing a run down hwy 191 next week. i mentioned it to her and was met with the response "umm so your going to drive 4 hours to go drive with some other minis?"......" will she ever "get it"? or just let her take the bus....
Ask her to come along with you for the drive and to meet other Mini owners and maybe she will get what it is all about when she meets other passionate Mini owners too.If not just give her a one way bus ticket then.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Give her the video or digital camera. Have her take pictures of the line of MINIs going down a curvy road, while hanging out the window or sunroof. Make her seek the perfect shot.
Upon reading this, an entirely different solution suddenly entered my mind........

Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
Upon reading this, an entirely different solution suddenly entered my mind........
If I am following your inflection, be careful, somebody could get a leg cramp and kick out a window.

I agree with Red Dragoon that you need an outside hobby, just not a consuming one. MINI madness has mass...it takes up space.

If Chickie-Momma doesn't share your passion for all things MINI, be greatful it was exposed early. Give her a chance to warm to the charms of the MINIness.
If that doesn't work, trade up.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She will come around my week 29 brutha . Take her on a day trip somewhere in it, and make her drive back. Tell her you're tired and need a break from driving. As soon as she drives it, she will "get it"

Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
As soon as she drives it, she will "get it"
Oooo....this is a good idea. She may never be as crazy about MINIs as you are, but hopefully she will be sympathetic about your enthusiasms. If you're over-the-top passionate about MINIs.....and you really love her.....this only bodes well for her, I think.

And yes, try to pass along the essential MINI-heritage information. She should enjoy/appreciate MINIs on some level, even if you do get this () alot.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I've had my MINI for 17 months now and my wife has never got it. She tolerates it and has gone to MTTS LA with me, but still no excitement. She has never even driven the car and says she has no desire to. It may be frustrating but there are other benefits in keeping her around.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Shellbell
5th Gear
I agree with jonnieoh! From my experience working at a MINI dealership, there are many spouses/sig others that just don't get it! Sometimes when they feel really included in the fun..... they come around & often buy their own! We have MANY 2 MINI homes where one person thought the whole MINI "cult" thing was crazy & ended up converting!!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Take her to an event, even a smallish rally with 15 to 20 cars. Get her involved as your navigator/co-pilot/photographer, not your passenger. Giver her the map and/or rally driving directions. Make her in charge of refreshments. Give her the video or digital camera. Have her take pictures of the line of MINIs going down a curvy road, while hanging out the window or sunroof. Make her seek the perfect shot.

If you get her involved in the event, she'll surely have more fun, and who knows? She may even enjoy herself, potentially enough to "get it", or at the very least, understand what "getting it" means to you.
Well said Mr Oh!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My wife's never wanted to drive mine (can't drive stick) even though I offered to teach her. But she said she'd like a Clubman when it's time to dump her Mazda3. She went to AMVIV in March and like the Death Valley run just fine. So.. Don't dump her (yet).

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
My husband doesn't get it (though he hasn't driven mine yet because it hasn't arrived) but he is supportive of my obsession and even takes pics of MINIs on his phone to share with me later, so endearing!

She may come around or she may start to miss you a lot .

Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
beckham23
2nd Gear
I was telling my wife yesterday that I can't believe I am happier and more excited about getting this Mini than few years back when I bought the M3...she couldn't understand, and I couldn't explain...one of those things, you just get it or you don't.

BTW, Welcome!!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most of my friends of both sexes "get" the MINI thing, they just don't "get" the whole order und wait process, and that buying a MINI is a whole different ballgame.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jealousy. Plain and simple. You love the car too much in her opinion. I've seen it before. Luckily, my wife and I have since worked it out.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Wizeguy9999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beckham23
I was telling my wife yesterday that I can't believe I am happier and more excited about getting this Mini than few years back when I bought the M3...she couldn't understand, and I couldn't explain...one of those things, you just get it or you don't.
I can relate to your story. I had an EVO VIII. The M3 and EVO VIII are both covered and fawned over by magazines all the time. This makes them easy to love. You have all of the car media backing you up. This backing and the landslide of coverage makes everyone get it, the instant they see it.

The Mini on the other hand is not covered as much. You chose the Mini, because the car person in you loved the idea of what a Mini is, and something resonated inside you. That's what makes the Mini truly special. You got it, because you love it.... not because everyone was saying how great it was.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM
dbhouston
4th Gear
To quote Lyle Lovett:

Oh the road it looked so lovely
As she stood there on the side
And she grew smaller in my mirror
As I watched her wave goodbye

Quick Reply: R56 My girlfriend doesn't get "the whole MINI thing"