Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM
hizhonor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

We just took delivery of our 2008 MCS on Monday and are having a ball. However, we're having what looks to be an intermittent problem relating to the shift interlock.

Coming home form the dealer on Monday, an amber Gear icon with a "!" in the center appeared in the tach area. The manual indicates this is related to the shift selector interlock and should be addressed soon. Sure enough, I could move the shift selector from Park to Drive with the engine off and foot off the brake. Doesn't seem right.

Took it to the dealer first thing in the morning only to have them say they couldn't duplicate the error, had no code showing and sent us on our way. Tonight, sitting in the driveway, with the key in the slot, but engine not on we have the Gear icon and the selector can move freely from P - D.

More frustating was this apparently was the same icon that was showing on the previous Saturday when we actually purchased the vehicle. The dealer muttered something about the car still being in "transport" mode and wouldn't let us drive it home until service took care of the issue.

Anyone have a similar experience, or could possible shed some light on what's going on? We're to take it back to the dealer in the morning for another round of diagnostics.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
thomastrain
1st Gear
I think I have the same problem. On the tach I have a gear with an exclamation point in the middle of it. On my NAV screen the words "Before leavinmg the vejicle select the P position. Possible fault in ignition or transmission selector lever" are displayed. I never tried to move the gear selector to see if it would move with the engine off. I took it in and they replaced the shift sensor. It was fine for a day and then I got the same fault message. Taking it back tomorrow as the service person told me they forgot to clear the fault from the memory. I have a clubman

Old 06-06-2008, 03:59 AM
hizhonor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thomastrain
I think I have the same problem. On the tach I have a gear with an exclamation point in the middle of it. On my NAV screen the words "Before leavinmg the vejicle select the P position. Possible fault in ignition or transmission selector lever" are displayed. I never tried to move the gear selector to see if it would move with the engine off. I took it in and they replaced the shift sensor. It was fine for a day and then I got the same fault message. Taking it back tomorrow as the service person told me they forgot to clear the fault from the memory. I have a clubman
Please let us know what happens. The Dealer has had our car over night with diagnostics showing nothing. They've involved a Zone rep who's suggested a few other things to try.

Less than 100 miles on the car .... sheesh.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
thomastrain
1st Gear
I had to cancel my appointment today and reschedule to next week. When I do get the gear icon I can move my gearshift with the car off and no foot on the brake. Also I noticed that if I snap the silver button on the stick shift, it engages and the gear goes away so it seems that the stick shift is not snapping into placed into park. I tried pressing and releasing eth button quickly when I park and then feel the shfter lock into place and I do not get the error message so it appears that the stick shift mechanism needs to be replaced. I wil relay this to my SA and see what part they order for me and let you know.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 AM
hizhonor
1st Gear
... so it appears that the stick shift mechanism needs to be replaced. I wil relay this to my SA and see what part they order for me and let you know.
Interesting developement. Our Service adviser called yesterday afternoon and said much the same thing after consulting with the Zone rep. They're replacing the shifter mechanism because of a bad switching unit.

They didn't have the part and it was ordered Friday.

Steve

Update 6/10/08:

The part was to arrive on Monday 6/9 --- no show. For sure on Tuesday 6/10--- Nope. It's now on "Galactic Backorder" --- the SA's term not mine --- meaning the part doesn't exist anywhere in the US or overseas. Next shipment from the parts manufacturer is 6/18 according to the same computer that said to expect it on 6/9.

I'm told they're attempting to find one "off the line" but I have my doubts.

I have a call into the GM of the dealership to discuss what my options are. I'd be less frustrated if I had actually had a chance to drive the car before service took it over. All told, I think we had possession for 12 hours.

Last edited by hizhonor; 06-10-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: updated status
Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
hizhonor
1st Gear
... so it appears that the stick shift mechanism needs to be replaced. I wil relay this to my SA and see what part they order for me and let you know.
And this was the final answer to my saga. After being told a new shift mechanism was not to be found in the world (galactic back order!), the parts manager located one at an out of state dealer. The part was shipped in to arrive Thursday 6/12. It did and we have our Mini back with a properly functioning shift mechanism and no warning light.

Now, we're off to do all the things we wanted to do when we bought the car on 5/31. Here's hoping this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to quality control and service issues.

Steve

Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM
thomastrain
1st Gear
glad you got your issue resolved. My shift mechanism is on order and was told pretty much the same that it was not available in the states or in germany so I am waiting for the part.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
hizhonor
1st Gear
glad you got your issue resolved. My shift mechanism is on order and was told pretty much the same that it was not available in the states or in germany so I am waiting for the part.
I'd push the parts manager to call other dealers. Apparently, the computer doesn't properly show the status of dealer stock when looking for parts. One mysteriously was available from a dealer out of state. They over-nighted the part into Mini St. Louis. Otherwise, I'm certain we'd still be waiting.

Steve

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Is this a necessary fix? Is it really going to cause serious problems? Mine just comes on every once in a while.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
hizhonor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by enron29
Is this a necessary fix? Is it really going to cause serious problems? Mine just comes on every once in a while.
About day three into my saga I was wondering the same thing. But common sense prevailed for me.

1) It's new car and it's supposed to work properly.

2) It's a safety issue. If you have kids (even if you don't) and the shift selector gets bumped, the car will roll. How far and into what depends on how steep the grade and where you've parked.

3) The service adviser mentioned that it was possible that it could just as easily decide to lock up as release at the most inopportune time.

All in all, I think replacing it was the correct decision.

Steve

Old 06-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
This just happened to me today!

After reading the manual to see was the icon meant, I tried taking it out of Park without holding the brake down. It didn't budge.

Interestingly enough, I grabbed my spare key to throw something back in the car, the icon didn't come on at all. I started the car with my spare key, still nothing. Then I thought maybe it was over, got my real set of keys and started the car, ding! there's the icon.

But, then, I couldn't get my original key out. I kept pushing in, waiting for it to release and nothing. Finally, after about 5 tries, it popped out. I'm such a devils advocate, I put in the spare key again. No icon, no problem taking it out.

Maybe the issue is with my key? I'm taking it in on Wednesday.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
I've had this happen to me on and off for the past few weeks. It only does it when it is hot outside, around 85-90 degrees, and just before I turn it off. I wiggle the gear selector a little bit and the light goes off. Then I turn off the car.
I had scheduled an appointment for this past Tuesday but wasn't able to make it in and need to reschedule. When I talked to the girl who was doing the scheduling she said this problem has been common on the 08's.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
I took mine in today. They found the problem and had to order the part and it should get in tomorrow. I had to leave my Mini at the dealer overnight.

I wasn't going to take my car in because it only happened 3 times and only on Saturday. But I decided that my car is only 2 months old and there is no reason that it shouldn't be 100%. Also, I wanted to make sure that I had documented a problem in case they couldn't find it and it continued.

Everyone at Brecht was super nice. The best part was when I pulled in, after the guy checked my name and gave me the paperwork. He got all serious and said, "Now the most important question. Does your Mini have a name?". When I said yes, he pulled out a huge "HELLO MY NAME IS" name tag, wrote "Lucy" on it, and stuck it under the windshield.

Update 6/26: They called me this morning and told me that I could come get my car. The parts department had to order the shift interlock from Germany. Told me it would be about a week.

Last edited by Ivygirl702; 06-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:57 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Week 12 build and mine also has this intermintant issue when it fails to lock. At times, it will take a few tries to release the Fob as well.

TPM will flash for a second on occasion, did this on moment of delivery, Tire Pressures are checked to spec.

Boot lid must be firmly closed or a warning is seen, even though the lid is latched.

Nine weeks / 750 miles and auto seems perfect in every other respect.

Long ride to dealer, so these items are reported and will wait for the time being.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had this happen to my Husband last night as he stopped at a Local Pizza joint to pick up pizza for us. I will be taking Molly to the dealership tomorrow morning, hopefully they will have the part. I will call when I am on my way. We also did the unexpected yesterday as well, we locked my key in the Boot and hubby did not have his. Since neither one of us had the RSA number, I called the Dealership thinking that they would be happy to call RSA for us...NO!! All they could do was give me the number...Got hung up on once, and since the Nursery where we were at needed their phone for CC transactions we ended up just walking home...101deg. Heat and 3+ miles.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM
barchum
Neutral
I had the same problem two months ago. 2007 MCS Lightening Blue (Baby Blue)

The icon displayed when I started her up. When I put the car in reverse to back out of the garage, the car lurched forward. Had RSA tow the baby to the dealership. SA found no issues and the computer did not register the error ever occurred. Hasn't happened again but if it does, I will certainly ask about the shift mechanism.

Thanks for this thread, I thought I was nuts!!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:21 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
101 in Vancouver, what a horrible experience

What I have done to prevent this experience was to *carefully* hide the 'key' part of the spare on the outside and then the Fob portion of the spare inside the car.

*caution* as on last car, when I needed the spare, years had destroyed the 'duct tape' used to hold and that *spare* was long gone, coat hanger works on LeBaron, but not on MINI.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
I'm also having this problem. Started about three weeks ago but I was going out of town for 10 days and figured I'd deal with it when I got back. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the gear shift moving without pressing the brake and the car runs fine so I'm thinking there is a bad sensor in the shifter. I also related it to the hot weather we are having here in Nor Cal as it started occurring when we started having +90 degree days. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. SA said they will need to keep car overnight and no loaners available . Hopefully this can be resolved quickly. Fortunately I'm on vacation the rest of the week and can borrow a car from a family member if need be.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Happened again tonight. I will be contacting our SA first thing in the morning. Will keep you updated.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
mellotron
3rd Gear
I picked up my MCa at the end of March, and it has recently started having this problem. It only does it after I park and turn off the engine, then when I try to take the key out, it won't come out and that symbol appears. It happened infrequently at first, now its more common.

I'll try the other key, but call for an appointment anyway. Its probably the shift mechanism like everyone else's. Bummer! First problem with the car.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Happened again tonight. I will be contacting our SA first thing in the morning. Will keep you updated.
Again tonight...and yes it seems to be an issue when it is warm out. I turned Molly off after I pulled her into the garage, heard a "Bong" and noticed this symbol again. She has an appointment next Wednesday for this and an intermittent Passenger Window "No Uppie".

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Yeah mine finally ate the key! It has been showing the signal on and off for a few weeks now but only when its hot like I said before. The key getting stuck is very common in the 08's as well, a SA should be able to get it out rather easily from what I was told. I'm going in tomorrow morning to get it out.

Kinda funny, the key gets stuck right fter I put my new wheels and tires on tonight. I think Dash is tlling me he wants to be driven since he got new parts.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Ever since I took Lucy in, I haven't seen the icon again... The dealer said the part wasn't going to be available until after the 4th, but I would know asap. I'll probably call next week if I haven't heard from them.

RJKimbell -- since we were shipmates, maybe there was a "virus" going around. I'm sorry to hear Molly is having the same problem [and especially the walking in 101 degree weather!], hope you get it worked out soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Just an update on mine: I took it back to the dealership on friday afternoon and they worked on it Saturday. They are replacing a few things on and around the shifter (will updte again when I pick it up). They ordered the parts on Saturday and should have the car done by Wednesday.

In the meantime I'm motoring in a 07 PW MCS, which ironically is the first MINI that I ever test drove back in November!!

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes