Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Joining the DIY splitter club...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joining the DIY splitter club...

Thanks to Dennis (MC2) who so kindly sent me a template for a front splitter, I have joined the "making my own splitter club". Where he used marine plywood, I used a 1/4" marine material called "Komacel", which is a form of marine PVC. Very light and very easy to work with.

I purchased a 5'X20" piece at a local boat repair shop for $40.00. Traced the pattern, cut with a saber saw, sanded the edges and there is was, a good looking front splitter. I am exploring some 3M VHB 1" double stick tape to use along with the bolts to secure to the bottom of the MINI. I'm still on the fence with the spitter supports such as the ones used on the M7 splitter, but I may end up using those in the end. (thoughts)

I am now waiting for the wind to die down in MD before I paint with the new Krylon paint for plastic, which after research, is supposed to work great. I should have less the $50.00 dollars in it (plus the supports) if I so choose that route.

Thought I would post some photos if others want to try.

Gene

Attached Thumbnails Joining the DIY splitter club...-splitter-a.jpg   Joining the DIY splitter club...-splitter-b.jpg   Joining the DIY splitter club...-splitter-c.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 AM
ronnieglasses
2nd Gear
Will that fit an aero bumper? If so, would you be interested in fabbing one for me?

Last edited by ronnieglasses; 04-02-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
minirob2
2nd Gear
I like that. Is that material durable, I've never heard of it before? Hope to see some pix after install.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
From what I have heard..

Will that fit an aero bumper? If so, would you be interested in fabbing one for me?

Sorry, I don't know. I don't have an aero package but from what I hear it is different below the front end. You live in Indy, right? Heck, but the material online and have one of the hundred or so race fab shops help you out. It's been my experience with those guys that they are great and will help with any project if time permits.

I like that. Is that material durable, I've never heard of it before? Hope to see some pix after install.

The marine industry has been using it for about 10 years and from what I can find it holds up great. There is some threads about below zero and crashing into an iceberg, but boy if I'm doing that I'm doing something very wrong

Do a "Google" search for Komacel, PVC and you will find lots of info. Yes, I will post when painted and when mounted.

Gene

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Kentiki
5th Gear
Man that's cool. The only way to get exactly what you want! Can you share the template?

Ken

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you get the template? are there more to be had?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Templates

I got the template from a kind NAM member, MC2 (Dennis). Do a search for "splitter" and his thread will come up. He did all the tough work, I just changed the pattern ever so slightly and changed the material.

I also ordered some heavy duty 3M VHB 1' wide foam two-way tape. I'm going to make sure that with the bolts, tape and supports, this sucker could be used for a "cow-catcher". My motto always has been, if anything is worth doing, it's worth over doing!

Gene

Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Jason C
4th Gear
You might want to check this out before you go too crazy with the mounting.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tter+destroyed

Old 04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
cartar452
Banned
Looks good. What color are you painting it?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Saw that..

I saw the post a while back, which is why I'm using the two faced tape and going easy on the bolts and screws. The good folks at 3M said their VHB adhesives would hold well enough to forego the vertical supports, hmmmmm, I'll wait and see on that one. I know there is a fine line between doing right and over doing. My Mini is not lowered, so I'm hoping that will help direct some of the force below the splitter and not push it down as far as some go, which hopefully will help me avoid speed bumps.

I'm going to do an undercoating black on the bottom and a satin black on the top.

Please, any thoughts on the mounting would be appreciated. Many here are much more knowledgable on down-force affects then me, so feel free to join in.

Gene

Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by emsjr
I saw the post a while back, which is why I'm using the two faced tape and going easy on the bolts and screws. The good folks at 3M said their VHB adhesives would hold well enough to forego the vertical supports, hmmmmm, I'll wait and see on that one. I know there is a fine line between doing right and over doing. My Mini is not lowered, so I'm hoping that will help direct some of the force below the splitter and not push it down as far as some go, which hopefully will help me avoid speed bumps.

I'm going to do an undercoating black on the bottom and a satin black on the top.

Please, any thoughts on the mounting would be appreciated. Many here are much more knowledgable on down-force affects then me, so feel free to join in.

Gene
Just make sure it's secure enough to not rip off at high speeds. I've heard a lot of stories of this happening.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
MC 2
5th Gear
Hi your spliter is very nice to like the shape i want to see the final result
very good idea. just make sure you atach well to the car dont want to loose it. PICTURE IN GALLERY

MC 2

Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
HABUTGO
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, that looks really good. now if u were to lay some Carbon Fiber cloths for the looks only. I'm sure it would loook as good as other brand name ones out there. great job!, can we share that template?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Please, please...

Don't give me the credit for the design, re-read my original post. I just copied the design from a very-kind NAM'er who sent me his hard work in template form. I just changed the material and made the splitter a tad bit
smaller, that's all. Let's give MC2 his credit

Gene

P.S. I have not worked with CF cloth, if anybody has and can tell me how to lay it over the PVC, heck I'm game.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
MC 2
5th Gear
Thank EMSJR for the credit now i will join your club

MC2

Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
So can the template be gotten? If so please PM me if you can share it.

I am not aware how the m7 and other brand splitters mount under the bumper. Do they use a combo of double stick tape and bolts to attach it to the bumper cover? Are the strut things that are on the front adjustable?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
There are bolts that attach it to the bumper cover and the adjustable struts.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
Double side tape also?

Are the struts adjustable? If so how do you know if you have it just right. Not too low and not too high? Seems like if you don't get this built really well it will rip off when your going 100+ mph or even at lesser speeds.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Double sided tape wasn't recommended. And the struts only need to level it off a bit and provide strength. The way it bolts to the bumper cover doesn't allow it to be moved very much so the adjusters aren't like flaps on an airplane. They just hold it in place. To get a lot of adjustably you would need the back of the splitter to be mounted on hinges-I would think. Not that you would ever want that much drag on the front of the car.

It is pretty strong. I have hit a bunch of cones with it autocrossing and it can take a beating.

Last edited by MINI Monkey; 04-02-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
Oh ok. Sounds like its solid then. You have the m7 splitter right?

When you installed it (or had it installed) did you mount the struts to the bumper cover or the bumper itself?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 AM
lightningjcw
1st Gear
nice mc2

Last edited by lightningjcw; 04-07-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 AM
superc00per
2nd Gear
MC 2 was kind enough to also give me the template. I too am making a few changes to make it smaller, change the design up a little.

I am in the process of making a CAD file for the splitter. If MC 2 is ok with it, I'll provide the file to anyone so you can take it to your local machine shop to get it fabricated. I haven't had a chance to cut one yet to verify the hole locations and such. I'm hoping to do so Saturday morning if I can get the keys to the shop.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
cartar452
Banned
Originally Posted by superc00per
MC 2 was kind enough to also give me the template. I too am making a few changes to make it smaller, change the design up a little.

I am in the process of making a CAD file for the splitter. If MC 2 is ok with it, I'll provide the file to anyone so you can take it to your local machine shop to get it fabricated. I haven't had a chance to cut one yet to verify the hole locations and such. I'm hoping to do so Saturday morning if I can get the keys to the shop.
That'd be great. Will it fit on the aero bumper?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 AM
superc00per
2nd Gear
I don't know yet. I have an R50 as well so these are things I need to look into. It's just a matter of me finding the time.

Personally, I'd rather release this when I've tested it at high speeds and have the correct hardware package to recommend. I'm going to try to cut a template Saturday morning and then maybe hook up with someone local with the aero kit to see.

I'm doing this more for the DIY'ers. My little contribution to the community.

Originally Posted by cartar452
That'd be great. Will it fit on the aero bumper?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Joining the DIY splitter club...