Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Are the Multivex Mirrors worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the Multivex Mirrors worth it

Looking at helping with the HUGE blind spot to the back side of my wifes 2007 Convertible. Has anyone purchased the Multivex mirrors that are available and were they worth the $85?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:42 AM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Looking at helping with the HUGE blind spot to the back side of my wifes 2007 Convertible. Has anyone purchased the Multivex mirrors that are available and were they worth the $85?

Yes, fantastic. A Must have. Took me 2 weeks to get fully used to both using and trusting them, now I wouldn't live without them.

Michael

Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto - lots of thread on this topic if you search for "multivex" - I have them on BOTH sides and love them. Literally the #1 mod I recommend for cabrios.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Though there are other blind spot solutions, Multivex was the best solution I found. I went through the same thoughts as you did wondering if the cost of them is justified. I personally believe that they are a little overpriced. However, they work as advertised, don't change the look of the car, and are a high quality product.

I purchased mine about a month ago and am still getting used to judging the distance of close vehicles with them. Since they are convex to show more area and fill in the blind spot they require a bit of getting used to as far as judging distances especially when the vehicle in the mirror is close. My guess is all of the solutions which fill in the blind spot have a similar learning curve.

Let us know if you find another solution...

Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
I guess it would not be a problem if she drove with the top down all the time but sometimes you have to go top up especially when its raining and you have to go slow.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
I don't have a problem with my OEM cabrio side mirrors ( I never go slow ). As long as they are adjusted properly a quick mirror glance then side glance is all I need to make a safe lane change

Pulling out of a parking space with a ginormous SUV on each side, now that's a different story but nothing will help that

Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Multivex mirror on the passenger side is actually the very first mod I recommend for cabrio owners. It eliminates the blind spot on that side, and adjusting to depth perception is not bad switching over from the standard convex mirror.

On the drivers side, the blind spot in the cabrio isn't worse than any other car, and a Multivex would be optional. The depth perception on the drivers side is a very big change and takes practice to get used to. I don't use Multivex on the drivers side myself.

Originally Posted by bamatt
Pulling out of a parking space with a ginormous SUV on each side, now that's a different story but nothing will help that
A rear view camera helps a lot (would even benefit a hardtop in that situation). I have the OEM rear camera (requires Nav) and it is fantastic.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:38 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm w/ rkw - multivex on passenger side. I couldn't stomach the price for two of 'em. Like Bamatt says, in some situations, nothing helps.

You can still see better than if you were in this

Old 12-22-2007, 05:09 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
A rear view camera helps a lot (would even benefit a hardtop in that situation). I have the OEM rear camera (requires Nav) and it is fantastic.

The only thing that would help pulling out of a parking space between 2 SUV's is camera's aimed to the right & left. I can see what's behind me but the SUV's have the view of right/left incoming traffic totally blocked & yes it's worse in a cabrio but still bad in any tintop

Old 12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I too run with a Multivex on the passenger-side only. A fellow NAM'er was gracious enough to part with their spare mirror last year around this time...

definitely helps in traffic when changing lanes... not much really helps when backing out of directional mall parking... especially when parked next to an SUV/minivan.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I always (well, 97% of the time) back into parking spaces now - so backing out isn't an issue... and it's a LOT less scary backing in than backing out blind...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bamatt
The only thing that would help pulling out of a parking space between 2 SUV's is camera's aimed to the right & left. I can see what's behind me but the SUV's have the view of right/left incoming traffic totally blocked & yes it's worse in a cabrio but still bad in any tintop
It doesn't give you a perpendicular left/right view, but it's wide angle and does help tremendously. I'm frequently in that situation of backing out between 2 minivans or SUV's. Because of the camera I can handle it better now in my cabrio (even top up) than with any of my previous cars. And for backing INTO a stall or parallel parking it is wonderful as well.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Yes, buy the mirror, at least the passenger side one. They should be mandatory for cabrio owners....

Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Ok so now the next question that I have is besides minimania who sells just one of the mirrors for the starboard side of the car..

Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
You can buy them direct from Multivex.

https://secure57.softcomca.com/multi...net/index.html

Old 12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Their shopping site has a goofy organization. Here's a direct link to the mirror: http://www.multivexmirror.net/Detail...461&category=4

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Thanks everyone for all the recomendations and assistance. Beinig in the Navy and getting answers from drivers with alot of diverse knowledge that my family can use is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Thanks everyone for all the recomendations and assistance. Beinig in the Navy and getting answers from drivers with alot of diverse knowledge that my family can use is greatly appreciated.

Leemore, Navy... Makes sense .

Actually I found one negative to the Multivex mirrors this weekend while driving my wife's car on a long trip..... I forget that that I don't have the mirrors and tend to glance and go.... Had 2 close calls from it...... Completely my fault and stupidity.

Michael

Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
So how many non-cabrio users are there? I'm all for the elimination of blind spots...

Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Keeper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kgardnez
So how many non-cabrio users are there? I'm all for the elimination of blind spots...
I don't have them for my Mini yet (Dec purchase) but will soon.

I have yet to hear from anyone with any car, including those who know how to adjust their mirrors properly, that it wasn't worth doing. I was a critic for a long time on another car and now I wouldn't think of driving without them.

If you can afford it, get both sides. Even cars "without" blind spots can benefit. The expanded peripheral view is excellent, yielding a better feel for what's going on two lanes either way behind you. Plus, you can move the mirrors closer in from the normally ideal position to give better rearward and parking visibility.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
joshamman
4th Gear
Glad I found this thread. My multivex mirrors will probably arrive before my mini

Old 01-06-2008, 01:05 PM
wemct
Neutral
I originally installed a set on both the driver's and passenger's side. After a month, I removed the driver's side. I could not get used to judging distances of the vehicles I saw in the mirror. I didn't remove the passenger's side because of the huge blind spot from the convertible top. A word of caution, after I removed the multivex mirror, I used a razor blade to remove the remaining adhesive and silicone from the factory mirror. I never had this happen before, but the razor left scratches on the original mirror. Now I need to buy a new heated mirror from the dealer since it looks like I can't polish out the scratches.

For people who haven't used the Multivex mirrors before, I recommend that you try them on the passenger's side first before committing to both sides.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
good advice, thanks. man, when my car finally does arrive, I'm gonna have a lot to do

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
news flash. ordered mine yesterday (1/18/08). they are on 4 week backorder while waiting for factory parts. fortunately for me the oxtoxmobile should be here at about the same time. they seem like very nice people and left a detailed explaination of the problem on my answering machine. thank you all for your advice on my first mod. though i'm sure i'll have the intake and pulley in the garage before she arrives.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
There are a few variations of OEM mirrors (not "officially" available in the USA) that achieve wider vision in different ways. Multivex is very reputable and well-known for auto mirrors, but I plan on buying one of the OEM solutions, myself. I have actually been thinking of setting up a group buy for them for some time now.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Are the Multivex Mirrors worth it