Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Part One - The Introduction and Teardown

Well my patience for waiting for MINIUSA to finally release the Aux Input kit for the MINI has paid off. Friday after work I come home to find the package containing my brand new Euro Parcel Shelf and Aux Input connector had arrived! (Thanks Classic Mini! )

Reviewing the directions for the connector it seemed like a cinch to install, and the parcel tray went in that evening (a 15 minute job). Being that the directions for the Aux Input have you install the connector in the glovebox, I decided to instead mount the connector in my parcel shelf instead figuring it would be more convenient. The following day is when all this took place.

My '03 MCS had the non-HK head unit, but the Aux kit is supposed to fit the HK as well. I also have the factory CD changer, and a NAV system.

Apologies for the sometimes bad pics - my 'good' digital camera is out of commission and I used a non-zoom Olympus for these pics.

Getting started:

This is what the package tray looks like under the steering column. CDs and my FRS radio were the first occupants.

This is where I remembered that my particular car has the Nav system. The Aux socket in the headunit is where the Nav voice gets routed to.

Am I doomed to failure? Stay tuned...

'03 MCS, Dk Silver, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21

Last edited by Greatbear; 10-26-2006 at 09:12 AM. Reason: reposted pictures, expanded text and photos
Old 06-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Greatbear
Part Two - The Snag

Well, upon examination it didn't appear to be a lost cause. This is the Nav connector (yellow wires) removed from the head unit and the Aux connector plug. The Nav system wiring occupies different cavities in the connector than the Aux input. In that case, I can transfer the wires from the Nav into the Aux connector.

The outer shell of the the Nav and Aux connector have to be removed first. The release tab is under my thumbnail.

This is the Aux and Nav connectors opened up. You can see where the wiring positions are different.

I used a small jeweler's screwdriver to release the terminal from the shell. Press down only enough to release the wire, then pull the wire out.

This is what it the freed wire and terminal looks like.

The terminal is pressed into the corresponding cavity in the Aux connector shell.

The same is done for the second wire from the Nav connector. This is what results.

The outer shell is snapped back onto the completed connector.

Now to get back on track....

Old 06-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Greatbear
Part Three - Back On Track

The now combined Nav/Aux connector was plugged into the space in the rear of the headunit. Powering up the headunit showed that everything was as previously, the radio plays, the CD and CD changer both worked, and now I had one extra selection via the mode switch:

I mounted the plate/jack in my parcel shelf, though it can go just about anywhere.

Next up: How does it work?

Last edited by Greatbear; 10-26-2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: repost and expand pictures and text
Old 06-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Knuckle_Sandwich
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the how to. Great idea mounting it on the parcel shelf.

Old 06-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Greatbear
Part Four - How It All Came Together

Well, I have to say I was impressed with how well it all ended up working. The Aux input, like the Radio, CD and CD changer has independent bass/treble/balance/fader adjustments from each other. I was concerned that the playback level of the mp3 player was quite a bit lower than the other sources. Not mentioned in the manual provided, however, was an additional setting mode "AUX LEVEL". Pressing the 'note' button once more after selecting FADER brings up this setting, with values from 0-5. With this, you can match the sound level to the other program sources (This setting can barely be seen in the last picture).

The Nav functions the same in Aux mode as well, muting the audio for the Nav voice commands as it does in the other modes.

The sound quality is on par with the other functions as well. Next upgrade: new speakers.

My current mp3 player is an Archos Jukebox, which works quite well. The iPod is far better in terms of feautures and useability. My next hard drive-based player might be an iPod (now that it's PC compatible) or something else that has a remote control. With that, I can leave the player sit in the shelf (the rubber mat keeps it from sliding or bouncing) instead of pulling it out to futz with it. Another mod in the future may be to install a 'power outlet' in the back of the shelf to supply power to any player connected without having wires draped around the cupholders. This frees that outlet for other things.

Thanks again to Classic Mini for the goodies.

Last edited by Greatbear; 10-26-2006 at 09:09 AM. Reason: reposted and expanded pictures/text
Old 06-22-2003, 04:45 PM
minitothemax
4th Gear
Looks great. I should be expecting mine soon. Thanks for the input on the input.

Old 06-22-2003, 04:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks for the great how to and nice job on combining wires into the adapter to use both the aux in and the NAV.
Also excellent pictures. Looks good with the euro parcel shelf. What if we don't have that shelf- maybe go to the glove box area and use the built in rectangular opening?

Old 06-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Greatbear
The kit instructions mount the little plate inside the glovebox on the left side, not on the plate in the very back. THe length of the cable makes it easy to out the thing anywhere. If I wasn't going to fill the space below the switch bank with gauges and I didnt have the parcel shelf, my next location might have been inside one of the side struts. They are hollow and mounting the jack facing inside would have been easy. You don't even need the labelled plate. It can fit in the 'box' that encloses the radio and switches. Those who want to fill out their switch bank can mod the jack into the bank, and it's long enough to fit it into the console near the mirror switch. It's even long enough to fit it into one of the available armrests that some have installed between the seats.

This is how long the cable is, stretched from the connection at the radio.

Then again, you really dont have to mount the jack anywhere. You can plug your player cord into the jack and hide it in up inside the dash.

This is one mod that can be as flexible as anyone wants it to be. If it were meant to be installed exactly as MINI had intended, they could have left it merely a foot long.

Last edited by Greatbear; 10-26-2006 at 08:59 AM. Reason: reposting pictures, expanded text
Old 06-23-2003, 09:06 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
Thank you so much GreatBear!
I can't wait to get mine!
Markus

Old 06-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Chips-O'Toole
2nd Gear
This is very impressive! anyone know if once that mod is done whether you can easily connect a Delphi SkyFi?

I assume that the steering wheel controls for volume still work, but specific player controls have to be done via the player, right?

thanks for the great info!

Old 06-23-2003, 10:06 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Great Bear,

Nice posting, I am hoping my cable comes today so I can do my install. I am going to install on the front wall of the parcel shelf closer to the drivers door. I will document with photos also.

Dave

MINI-Rolls

Old 06-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Greatbear
>>This is very impressive! anyone know if once that mod is done whether you can easily connect a Delphi SkyFi?
>>
>>I assume that the steering wheel controls for volume still work, but specific player controls have to be done via the player, right?
>>
>>thanks for the great info!

I am not familiar with the SkyFi unit other than seeing pictures of the control unit. I am assuming the unit has a simple L/R line-level audio output or a provision for one. In that case it can be patched into the Aux port as if it were an mp3 player or any other audio source. You still have to control the SkiFi with it's own interface, but volume control and selection and use of the other functions of the MINI stereo remain as they were.

The MFSW controls operate as before, but since the Aux port is audio-only, there is no way the MFSW controls can operate any player connected to the jack. You have to fiddle with the player controls to select your songs, play, stop, etc. In my case, I have a few playlists that I cue up and never really touch the player. I have the Archos Jukebox 20gig. I do like the newest iPods, but I haven't found too much info on Windows-specific operation. The little remote from the iPod can probably be clipped to a homemade bracket attached to the steering column or dash and operated with hands near the wheel. At least that is what I would come up with.

I'll ask here: When the new iPod is connected via USB or Firewire to a Windoze PC, does the iPod appear as just another drive, or am I a slave to MusicMatch for all the file/song handling/uploading/downloading to the iPod? My Archos simply appears as another drive letter, and I can drag/drop files and folders to the Archos drive. I ask this because I am wary of the sometimes heavy-handedness of MusicMatch, and I would prefer not being locked into one particular app for managing songs on the iPod.

Any inputs from you fine folks?

'03 MCS, Dk Silver, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21

Old 06-23-2003, 01:34 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>>I'll ask here: When the new iPod is connected via USB or Firewire to a Windoze PC, does the iPod appear as just another drive, or am I a slave to MusicMatch for all the file/song handling/uploading/downloading to the iPod? My Archos simply appears as another drive letter, and I can drag/drop files and folders to the Archos drive. I ask this because I am wary of the sometimes heavy-handedness of MusicMatch, and I would prefer not being locked into one particular app for managing songs on the iPod.

yes, w/ the iPod you are a slave to Music Match, but MM handles itself very well i think... hopefully they will come out w/ other programs for compatibility, but w/ MM u can get artistts, genres, albums, and a lot of other stuff organized

Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I just installed the AUX Cable, went to fast to take pictures. Works great, glad to have the ability to play MP3/WMA music. My daily drive I just put ina new Alpine deck and it had MP3/WMA functionality. Now I am glad the MINI does.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:48 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>>I just installed the AUX Cable, went to fast to take pictures. Works great, glad to have the ability to play MP3/WMA music. My daily drive I just put ina new Alpine deck and it had MP3/WMA functionality. Now I am glad the MINI does.

wat do u mean??? i didnt think they made CD Changers w/ WMA

Old 06-24-2003, 09:00 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
The new Alpines play MP3/WMA format. Just piut one in my daily driver Saturday. I have aten albums in WMA and MP3 format and they play great. Can search like a CD deck but with only one CD. It also displays the text of the music name and album on the CD. I got the ALPINE CDA-9811, the CDA-9813 and CDA-9815 have a bit more features.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:08 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Here is the location of my AUX port.

Old 06-24-2003, 02:24 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
>>The new Alpines play MP3/WMA format. Just piut one in my daily driver Saturday. I have aten albums in WMA and MP3 format and they play great. Can search like a CD deck but with only one CD. It also displays the text of the music name and album on the CD. I got the ALPINE CDA-9811, the CDA-9813 and CDA-9815 have a bit more features.

that is cool, is it a single cd in the trunk?? or is it hooked up through ur aux cable, do u have pics of it? and also how do u navigate those?? i got the iPod instead of WMA/MP3 cds, cuz they didnt make any.....

Old 06-24-2003, 02:39 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Is actually an Alpine Head Unit. It is in my other car not my MINI. It plays single CDs. I have a portable RCA CD Player that plays MP3/WMA single CDs that am using in the MINI with the AUX port and it has a power plug adapter for the lighter. I get about ten hours of music from one CD.

Old 06-25-2003, 02:28 AM
msmini
1st Gear
>>I'll ask here: When the new iPod is connected via USB or Firewire to a Windoze PC, does the iPod appear as just another drive, or am I a slave to MusicMatch for all the file/song handling/uploading/downloading to the iPod? My Archos simply appears as another drive letter, and I can drag/drop files and folders to the Archos drive. I ask this because I am wary of the sometimes heavy-handedness of MusicMatch, and I would prefer not being locked into one particular app for managing songs on the iPod.

I don't use MusicMatch (or any of the Windoze software that came with the iPod) at all; as you say, it is absurdly heavy handed. Instead, just connect the iPod, and it appears as a drive. Do the "Safely Remove Hardware" process and disconnect.

However, using the mounted iPod as a drive, it appears only as a filing system. I've never been able to view or modify the music repository.

For that, I recommend EphPod (www.ephpod.com). Simple, powerful, and free. It is designed to manage the contents of the iPod, nothing more.

To rip and encode, I use Audiograbber and LAME (using "--preset r3mix %s %d" for fairly high quality VBR encoding). There are, of course, many other such solutions.

...msmini

Old 06-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Greatbear
Thanks a bunch, when I get the iPod I will check it out!

The iPod is definitely the best of the harddrive-based players IMO. I got the Archos at the time because it can do double duty as a backup drive. I just wish it had a faster interface that was also Universal Storage Interface Attachment (or whatever that standard is ) compatible.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:48 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear

>>For that, I recommend EphPod (www.ephpod.com). Simple, powerful, and free. It is designed to manage the contents of the iPod, nothing more.

w/ Ephpod can u put artists, genres, albums, etc, from MM??

Old 06-28-2003, 05:52 PM
tfisher
1st Gear
Greatbear, thanks for the great write-up. One question: Is there a write-up somewhere for removing all the parts around the radio stack?

Old 06-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Greatbear
One of the best write-ups with pics I found was on MINI2.com. The topic you want to follow is How to remove the dash downtubes. It is easier IMO to remove the dash fascia instead of the center console for clearance.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2003, 09:12 AM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
If you're just installing the aux cable, there's no need to dissassemble anything in the interior. Pop down the knee bolster by grabbing the top and pulling firmly so it swings from the hinges.
I used the zip ties to guesstimate the length to the factory mount for the jack, slid the cable over the top of the radio (can't see back there, have to feel it) and reached behind the glove box and fed the cable to my other hand. Be advised the plastic next to the radio is sharp (I have the marks to prove it) but with a little perserverence, the cable slides right over and you can grab it.
Pop the little plastic tab out from the glovebox and you can pull the jack through the hole.
I did this yesterday, spent more time drilling the hole for the jack than I did plugging the cable in.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Aux Input installed! (pics)